Reviews: GeForce GTX 1660 Ti testing Galore - MSI, ASUS and Palit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Wow...so these things are *real* after all...;) Chalk this up as the most hushed, lackluster release ever...;)

2. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    As I said about DLSS, it truly reminds me BFBC2 in terms of graphics. I've seen it in action while BFBC2 was my best Battlefield due to the fact it had the best Rush maps ever created. I want to say it's imprinted in my mind. Still playing.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    OK, did I read that specs chart correctly--there are two RTX cards and this one GTX card from nVidia that do not support SLI or multi-GPU D3d12 games? Jeez--didn't know it was that bad. The 6gb for the GTX card is bad enough, but throwing in no SLI for it hobbles it. RX-590 is a much better buy--more vram, of course, and no hobbling of multi-GPU support. If I didn't know from experience how well RX-590/480 8GB X-fire, multi-gpu works--I might not have thought to mention it. nVidia can't seem to get the sub-$300 market right no matter what--and I get the distinct feeling nVidia was dragged kicking and screaming into the GTX 1660!

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AFAIK multi gpu(sync) is not dependent on either SLI or crossfire, aka as long as you have 2 GPU's you're good to go as long as the DX12 feature is enabled. But as far as multi GPU solutions go, it's hard to recommend those anymore with lack of scaling done by developers.

I would argue to say though the 1660 TI at the same price of the RX 590 is the better buy. You are losing 2gb of vram yes, but honestly at 1080p or even 1440p you're not doing to saturate that 8gb vram, probably hardly hit the 6gb mark unless you're using high amount of LOD.

HardwareCaps, warlord and airbud7 like this.

5. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Multigpu though is dead. Really dead. It is a joke.

Under 300$, GTX 1660Ti is still the best gpu for the money, unless all vega56 gpus around the world fall under 300$ too.

From my perspective, used 1070ti/1080, used vega64, or new vega56/rtx2060/gtx1660ti are the only gpus for real gaming situations. :)

580/590 are good only on paper, like mine. The horsepower though, at most titles, is not enough anymore. That 8GB never saved the day, ever pal.

Xtreme1979 likes this.
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    err umm what?....so you would take a slower RX-590 over a 1660ti?

7. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    Pointless. he wants to justify his RX 590 at all costs. even the truth.

Xtreme1979 and airbud7 like this.
  8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    One thing though to say about Vega56 vs the 1660ti, Vega56 is faster but uses more power. Now you can undervolt it to help with the power and heat issues at least, but out of the box solution can't beat the 1660ti.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea, I did that with an unfaithful fat ugly gf once ...never again.

10. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    Guys, just take a breath and imagine 1760Ti. 7nm card with max 100 watt, slightly more performance, GDDR6 and perhans 8GB with 256bit, AV1 codec support. Best buy ever at 279$.

For 1080p, 90% of the games Ultra Settings at 60FPS solidly VSynced.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019

11. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Probably would be called something like GTX 2660 Ti. :D

Though, I think the RTX 30 series are likely to cover a wider range of cards than the RTX 20 series, I think they're likely to lower the barrier of entry for RTX price wise.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    6gb of ram is plenty for any resolution, the only reason this will not game at 4k well is due to gpu performance, not a lack of ram.

Go ahead, prove me wrong. Facts only please. I dare you. Two threads you have spewed this nonsense with no facts to back it up, so please, get to it, show us why we need more ram that will either not get used, or if it could get used, won't provide a performance increase. We're all waiting.

More "MOAR RAMZZZZ" nonsense

BangTail, airbud7 and alanm like this.
  13. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Or you can overclock 1660ti, there it gets much closer to Vega56 performance and still more efficient.
    Not like vega56 gonna cost cheaper to cover its electricity bill.

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Well, I'm happy for you guys getting GTX1070 level performance at this price. Have fun!

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You have not seen half of capability your own GPU has. Maybe one day, you'll move from that calculator CPU to something that can feed anything.

Or you know what? Just get this 1660Ti with your CPU. I wonder how big of an improvement will you get. And if you move from "AMD is $h*7" to "nVidia is $h*7" posts.
    = = = =
    Have you noticed 390X in HH's bench results against 1660Ti?
    Only 18% slower in BF5.
    12% slower in Strange Brigade.
    Just 9% slower in DX:MD.
    Apparently in many other games difference is bigger. But there was never reason to hate on your GPU just because you paired it with weak CPU.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    warlord likes this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    No one wants to assure you in anything. If you are so confident buy a 6gb card or even better buy an 4gb card, thats also more than enough.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Great reaction: a nothingburger.

All reviews prove what i state, so i don't need anyone to assure me, what you need is for people to assure you, as what you state is the literal opposite of facts. It's like speaking to a conspiracy nut job.

So please, show us this privledge knowledge that shows 8gb of ram is better then 6, and 6 is better then 4. Show us where the rx 580 8gb gets so much better performance over the rx 580 4gb, that's a very clear and easy way to compare. Show us all where getting a weaker GPU then the GTX 1660 Ti with more ram is the logical solution. Show any proof at all. No one has any, hence responses like yours.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Loophole35, airbud7 and BangTail like this.
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Got to agree.
    and look at the 2060ti 6GB vs RX 590 8GB.....somewhere memory utilization is lost regardless of resolution....

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I think gaming studios who optimize their games well, CAN and DO allocate tons of graphics assets to your vram, but know how to manage it well according to each cards vram capacity. If it stutters or becomes choppy due to lack of vram, then the devs have failed to properly optimize the game. Lack of GPU power is always the first wall that is hit before you reach the vram wall in a well optimized game.

However, I think we all know vram needs will increase over time, just that 6gb currently should carry one through till their next upgrade (2-3 yrs) when their GPU power may be insufficient to perform better even if it had more vram to begin with.

The silly thing is that tons of people who read very high vram usage in benches or gaming (ie, 10gb) stoopidly think that 8gb or 6gb cards will fail miserably during gameplay. Many games today are running like Vista, the OS that would gobble up all of your ram, and people were freaking out "I have no more ram left!"... yet the OS, continued to function well, lol.

ezodagrom likes this.