Reviews: GeForce GTX 1660 MSI Ventus and Gaming X and Palit Storm X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I never bought cards because of their game bundle, and to be honest, I never was in the time window to get one either. I missed out on the 1080TI bundle, and with my 2080TI now, I didn't get one either.
    Also, to be frank, if the game bundle's my main reason to buy a card, while showing you're probably not as much a hardware enthusiast, you show your gamer heart. Which in itself is a good reason to do it in my opinion :)

airbud7 likes this.
  2. GiggityGiggity

GiggityGiggity Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970 (x2)
    Will be donating my old pc to the Mrs when i upgrade in the summer. Might replace the 980ti in it for this or the ti version given how close they are at 1080p. Not having such a hot/loud card in the living room, plus a card under warranty and not having to buy another psu could be worth the ~£50 hit in sidegrading.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The performance to price seems good, but it's underwhelming compared to Nvidia's other stuff. Pretty much same wattage as the 1660Ti while being noticeably slower.

This GPU also should've had a 6-pin power connector. There's no need for the 8-pin.

Overall, I'd rather spend the extra $50 and get the 1660Ti.

4. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    well for 70$ you get the 2060 over the 1660Ti which is 15% faster and supports RTX....

so 50$ less for 12% less performance isn't that bad. the performance is more than enough for 1080P as well.

5. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Nvidia launched a product that is in the sweet spot for the price. I think it performs very well for what you pay. At this point I don’t see how AMD can compete at all. Because the 1060 will drop in price to make space for the 1660 and then AMD will have nothing to compete at any of the price brackets... Well done Nvidia... And AMD you better hurry up with Navi...

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It should be a 'lil less. Even 10$ less would make a difference. ;)

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Only nvidia card worth buying right now is 2070. That thing overclocked can be fast as 2080 for much less.

This 6gb nvidia gtx/rtx cards just amuses me.

Koniakki and warlord like this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Where is this coming from?
    Nvidia has just released the new graphics lineup, and it's built entirely at 12nm. They have no 7nm product in sight. So why would they be even attempting to allocate 7nm. Let alone have allocation issues.

You know damn well who's having "7nm issues" ;)

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I already expressed my belief that RTX sales are picking up. I could be wrong, but that is the impression I got tracking the hell out of RTX during my latest GPU hunt. And from this I concluded tat NV won't be lowering their prices any time soon, so WTH --> I pulled the trigger.

We already know that they have been smashing AMD, and this was even be4 the mainstay 1660/Ti was introduced.
    We don't know if NV's absolute sales numbers are good. They are not as good as relative numbers, cos AMD has it's problems too, but I am telling you the winds are changing. NV sales reached the bottom last quarter, and now the only way is up.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  10. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    It's not about "feeling" we have official numbers and Nvidia officially addressed it.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As of that nVidia's 7nm product in sights, you should ask Denial about that and early 2020 statement. I think that's pretty close.
    (My statement was pointing out that it is highly unlikely.)

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    navi was rumored no earlier than October

is it me or that card has no throttle at all?

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Samsung is to be doing 7nm for NVidia and you can see on their site that they have bigger chips coming
    rumors thuo but they are the only rumors
    first part of 2020 would not surprise me if amd has a good card

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yeah I am sure hey have 7nm in works, but this early in development allocation can't be an issue.
    They need few samples for debugging, error catching... for what ever the heck they do in the early stage.

Come to think of it, you might be right with allocation issue - in the sense they are proly waiting for 7nm EUV availability (7FF+)
    Then again allocation and process economy is always a crucial issue, especially during the new node introduction.

7FF+ should give -17% area and -10% power compared to 7FF

Fox2232 and user1 like this.

16. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Just what the Dr Ordered. The card is V Good.

17. bagrata

bagrata Guest

GPU:
    Club3D X1550
    same price, 8-10% faster than rx590, much lower power consumption, freesync....sorry AMD

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Also known as desperation, because nobody is buying it. Plus how long must AMD fans wait for new tech that may be worth it? This has been going on for years and failed to deliver.

19. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Looks like a OC 1660 has similar performance to an OC 1660Ti. Definitely a better price/perf card in that regard.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Koniakki likes this.