Reviews: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X and 3970X (Mega Core galore)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 25, 2019.

1. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    My 2 years old cpu.... Still pretty good :p
    [​IMG]

2. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'm really curious about the power consumption figures, and how those relate to the specific motherboards/BIOS revisions used. The figures I see here are in line with what Hardware Unboxed got, and they also got pretty amazing gaming performance, while Gamer's Nexus has much more frugal power consumption and more expected gaming performance.

3. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070

Man this illustration pretty sums up whenever I visit that site XD Lots of intel sheeps still finding things to nitpick this Great Beast XD. Thus for anything tangible and real review I always check this site before checking the other XD.

All I can say is that this is a kind of foreshadowing of what's to come anno 2020 XD.

If I really had the funds, I will buy this piece of real technology so I can ran some dedicate lots of cores for Nicehash (CPU mining) and reserve at least 6 cores for gaming XD and 4 cores for LD Player (Android Emulator for Kings Raid game) - ah.... I already had a vision of what kind of workload I will employ should I have this awesome CPU..

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Behemoth :eek:

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Ripping through entire Intel lineup. :D

sverek likes this.
  6. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    EDIT : when I tell people to carefully read motherboards manual here's why
    ASUS ROG ZENITH II EXTREME (in stock) vs MSI Creator TRX40 (2 weeks delay)
    12 vs 10 usb ports on the rear io
    4 pcie x16 slots vs 2+(2x8)
    8 sata ports vs 6
    2x usb3.2 + 1x usb3.1 vs 1x usb3.2 + 2x usb3.1 (front panel)

3 vs 3 nvme slots
    old nvme placement vs new L design

seems better no ? well no, not if you want to actually use your slots and connectors
    - rear io ports : a win for Asus
    - pcie slots : who really uses 4x pcie x16 ?...more about that below
    - sata ports : it's not 8, it's not even 6 it's 4 "real" sata ports + 4x Asmedia from my experience and I'm not the only one asmedia are ok for HDDs not for SSDs while the sequential speeds are ok the random read/writes are way slower than what they should be the Msi has 6 real sata ports
    - how many cases have 2x usb-c at the front but only 2 usb-a ? not my lian-li dynamic xl which instead does have 4x usb3.1 + 1x usb3.2 so the creator is perfect for it
    - oh yeah I said 4 "real" + 4 asmedia SATA ? my mistake it's actually 4+2 because M2.3 nvme will disable 2 sata ports
    - oh yeah again I said 4x pcie x16 ? my mistake it's actually 3+(1x4) as the M2.2 nvme will slow pcie slot no4 to x4 speed
    - the main non-shared nvme slot is the one below the gpu pcie slot not very smart temperature wise (unlike msi m2.1 is down right, m2.2 is down left m2.3 is vertical up right)

anyway that is a lot of negatives for me :confused: the people at msi on the other hand know what they are doing

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  7. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    As a consumer, what difference does it make to you the process used to create it? none.
    You care about speed or price or power consumption or a combination of the above.

Every 6 months there will be something at the horizon that feels so much better.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    For the amount of cores you're getting at such high speeds, I'd say the power consumption is actually totally reasonable. In multithreaded load, the 3970X uses 26% more power than the 10980XE, but has 44% more cores.

I'm sure you could shave off 100W by limiting the max boost clocks by 200-500 MHz.

But yeah, this CPU is tremendously overkill for most of us. As a lot of reviewers have stated, this is the kind of CPU you get if it makes you money. Otherwise, the 3950X is pretty much as high as anyone needs to go (and even that I find to be overkill).

9. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    its ur opinion not other ... its just matter of personal preference
    i for one have bad experience with few msi gpus that just dying soon after warranty period
    then the costumer support in my area is no good either... thus even they making attractive product, i rarely pick them over other maker

now those u mention probably make-sense, but nonetheless still Asus provide more connection/slot for those need
    and those nvme slot below GPU, dont think it(warm air from GPU) will effect the temp much, probably ±5℃? ...many mobo have slot like that, msi x570 prestige also have slot like that right ? cmiiw

10. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Zen 3 is going to be a big upgrade, even over Zen 2.

11. Mesab67

Mesab67 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Things seem ominously lacking on the ability to purchase anything above the 3900x. ETA on some stores for the 3950x is >2 months, 3960x/70x >1 month.
    Were we expecting the 3950x and above to be available for purchase now?

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    3950X was available on Newegg.ca yesterday. It's out of stock today. Not sure about the new Threadrippers.

13. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Don't feel sorry for intel , take a tablet and when you wake up in the morning and have been converted to amd, you will feel grand, so easy to leave the dark side :p

Thanks Hilbert - I liked the review and that 2nd post with pic :D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Excellent review! It sums it all up neatly. AMD is going to be a moving target now and in the future so Intel has its work cut out for it. Unlike the K7/A64/Opteron era, the days of AMD waiting around for Intel to catch up and exceed them are no more--that's a relic of a bygone era. With 64c/128t TRs coming in the next ~six months to the consumer desktop market (the concept is mind boggling!) Intel's job of catching up just ramped up another order of magnitude. Yes, indeed, people who buy 8/16/24/32/64-core CPUs aren't much interested in single-threaded programming, of course...! MT is the future of everything, imo.

15. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Who wants to buy one? Now its chance to get the 3960x below retail price

16. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 FuryX 4GB HBM
    Doesn't anyone else notice that history is starting to repeat itself? Only now the players swapped places?
    Even the reason its the same. Investing in the GPU part of the tech.

slyphnier likes this.
  17. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    Indeed. When Intel released their 1st dual core chip, it was two dies stuck together. Ridiculed for it.
    Now we're moving back to sticking chips together to leverage scale and yields.

The chiplets will then get "bigger" and more complex as process node shrinks again.

It won't be long until we're in the hundreds of cores category.. Very similar to how GPU's are! :)

18. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    infact every aspect of life is like that
    "Life is like a wheel. Sooner or later, it always..." - Stephen King

19. Pictus

Pictus Active Member

GPU:
    R9 280x 3GB
    I only found Thunderbolt in the GIGABYTE line... o_O
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Socket-sTRX4
    They all have Thunderbolt header and the TRX40 DESIGNARE comes with the Thunderbolt card.
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/TRX40-DESIGNARE-rev-10#kf

The best audio interfaces are Thunderbolt or PCIe
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=14004379&postcount=3210
    The only USB audio interface with good latency is the RME Babyface Pro, all other USB models are meh...
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=14004379&postcount=3210