Guru3D Content Reviews: AMD Radeon RX 6800 and 6800 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    Yeah, and all those RTX ON GameWorks games were in no way sponsored by NVidia ;P

carnivore, Dragam1337 and Agonist like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Wait for Guru3d CP2077 game performance review, that'll be one hell of a review.

Noisiv and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    Its only ok when Nvidia does something, world ends when AMD does something.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not really, it just shows the 6800/xt working properly, just like most other games, and not showing the 3070/80 working properly.

It's an invalid point to make due to the fact it's not treating both companies cards equally and is an outlier. It realistically only matters if you are only ever going to play that game.

It'd be a useful benchmark IF:

The performance difference between the 2080 ti, 3080 and 3090 all were in line with what was expected AND if AMD still was in the lead as it shows.

But that's not the case, and is an issue with the game, not a benefit to the 6800/XT

5. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    What’s with the tapering off performance after 1080p? Is it a bandwidth thing or perhaps drivers? I mean these cards are absolute kings at 1080p, but that’s hardly the standard res at this price point.

If they were at 1440p as well things would get interesting

6. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R5
    Can't make an assessment based off of previous generations' and the data analytics you already have now?

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    I guess impossible is possible , got mine almost 6 hours after launch . Guess shops canceled some of the orders by bots/ people that ordered more than 1 . Thanks to Poland - X-KOM.
    [​IMG]

panogr, Noisiv, Turanis and 3 others like this.
  8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    Debating between the 6800XT vs 3080 or 3080TI mainly because nVidia offers more in terms of DLSS2.0 RTX and better 4K performance.

Goiur and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Lower resolutions use lower resolution buffers. Those things can fit into 128MB IC. But with higher resolutions, card has to move more data in/from memory with each frame.
    Basically, Lower resolutions can get away with just higher GPU clock. Higher resolutions need higher memory bandwidth.

It is reasonable to think that moment AMD starts to use faster memory or wider IMC, they'll regain performance that's lost on higher resolutions.
    = = = =

Here, we are starting to have RTX 3070 available. No surprise when shops list them at same price as 6800XT.
    And I did notice that some RTX 3090-s are having incoming stock on 26th, and pre-purchase can be made. So, it means people did not buy out that incoming batch, yet.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    "Properly coded" for specific HW but ensuring competition's HW is gimped in the process. Fair enough, they are just doing what Nvidia sometimes did to them in the past. AMD wants a chance to play the unethical monster they've always bitched and moaned about to see if they can replicate Nv's success. The "were in it for gamers overall benefit" principle no longer applies when they find the shoe on the other foot :D.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    And what if it is just use of resource optimizations to maximize benefit of IC?
    nVidia has small cache in comparison, could as well choke on IMC if game uses latency sensitive operations.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  12. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Congrats. (change that image provider,doesnt work here)
    The truth is I dont know if other AIBs(except Sapphire-the company who build most refference AMD Radeon cards) will put Hitachi's carbon thermal pad on Gpu chip for better thermal transfer and much cooler Gpu chip.
    So,yeah,again congrats. :)

[​IMG]

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    Thanks, i paid around 660 eur.

panogr and Turanis like this.
  14. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    mine also arrived today. now i`m just waiting for the delivery of Ryzen 5600x ;)

15. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6800
    [​IMG]
    here is my RX 6800 powercolor score 1440p badass

Maddness likes this.

16. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I honestly don’t believe that they have gimped the competition, just allowed their own hardware to spread the wings and perform to the full potential , this is not always possible and as much as I like my Nvidia cards I have to say the “ sponsoring games “ was always bit fishy.
    Let’s hope that AMD will not drop to that level .
    It was shocking when intel used to force the “ less efficient path “ in the compilers when AMD cpu was detected , they deserved to be sued and pay the fine, that sort of behaviour it’s just criminal .

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    qwd
    I wasnt referring to the overall performance, but rather to the RT performance where Nvidia has more capable HW for that purpose. But apparently AMD and the game devs can side-step that and implement RT to the best capabilities of their own HW even if it may be an inferior solution. But its understandable and I wont fault AMD for it, they have a business to run and they NEED to show examples of them doing better than the competition.

AMD Helped Godfall and Dirt 5 Devs Implement Ray-Traced Shadows, Though It’s Barely Noticeable

ZXRaziel likes this.
  18. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6800
    my time spy graphic score is also higher
    [​IMG]

Maddness likes this.
  19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    More games to add to my not interested list, cheers.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Hh. I think I loled a bit. Thanks. Except you do it before you even know if game will be broken for nVidia users.
    With PhysX and Gameworks in general, games were atrocious for over 10 years. And often run poorly even on Nvidia's own cards.

What you are afraid of is that AMD will employ nVidia's strategy. Yet, did you boycott games which were broken for AMD or both sides thanks to nVidia's code?
    I think people had a lot of time to slap nVidia over fingers. It did not happen, gamers did not care.
    If AMD returned equal treatment now, maybe some gamers would grow spine. For most, it is too late.

ZXRaziel likes this.