Guru3D Content Reviews: AMD Radeon RX 6800 and 6800 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 STRIX
    exactly

the cards have neither the performance/price nor availability to shake Gengis Huang's position.
    6800xt day one price in PL is the same as 3080.same.even though it's supposed to be cheaper.
    3080 prices went up from then on and same will happen to rx6000 if there's no supply

2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Performance seems to be almost the same as a 3080, though. So if you don't care about extraneous features like webcam AI, noise reduction from having bought a too cheap mike or using some gamer-garbage headset, and recording of gameplay, then it's completely fine. The only issue is that some people do care about those issues, and you shouldn't be paying the same for less features, even if you don't care about them.

So AMD should price these cards at less than the 3080, they don't quite compete on anything but raster performance at lower than 4k resolutions. And that is important. But nVidia still offers a more premium package, and as such AMD should be priced accordingly.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  3. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    Yep, basically this. I was tempted to get the 6800XT at or slightly below AMD's MSRP, but at the same price as the 3080? Get stuffed. I'll wait for the 3080s to come back in stock at their MSRP or just skip this generation altogether.

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well Overclockers £600 is a huge diff! Thats more like the price.....fairplay to Scan if so. The 25th will be interesting.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 STRIX
    not,RT performance is same as 3070 and lacks dlss,so at this point nvidia cards are the only ones that can run RT. This won't change until amd has a dlss of their own.

I'm not for making it all about RT,I had a 2070s myself,I know you're not gonna play many of those.imo if you play 2-3 rt games per year that's probaly it.
    But ignoring it completely is not reasonable,even if from the pure value for money standpoint.

Caesar likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Seems AMD used thermal pads instead of paste on the core.

7. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Dam, this really is a lot better than the rtx 3070 (as long as you dont care about rt)

8. sam640

sam640 Member

GPU:
    GTX-1070
    From the several reviews I read and watched, it seems that AMD finally has a competitive product in the high gaming GPU market. However, it seems Nvidia still holds the crown for the top as they have more to offer than AMD.
    Go for 3080 if you use professional applications or interested in RT & DLSS (note: extremely limited support)
    Go for 6800 XT for <4k gaming

PS: this is an amateur's opinion.

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Not in RT performance, no, but it's pretty good still, compared to what could've been.

DLSS is pretty linked to RT, so I figure it'll come in the future. I don't think it's completely useful to just say "don't buy this" either, because it's not like we'll ever have competition if you disregard the principal of "good enough" - the cards are kind of good enough for now. It's not a huge gap up and they might get a DLSS alternative in later driver updates.

But again, the pricing should be lower compared, due to the less powerful feature set.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  10. Dribble

Dribble Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    You'd still go for Nvidia for <4k gaming as while AMD might be slightly faster it doesn't really matter as both cards are probably doing > 120fps. That will change for next gen games but they will use RT and/or DLSS in which case Nvidia is significantly (multiples if it's heavy RT + DLSS like Minecraft) faster.

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    I've read a lot of reviews a good half of what's listed on videocardz, maybe I skipped too much over them but it once again took Linus Tech Tips to give me the "deal breaker" information

on the 3090 review he pointed and explained in detail that it wasn't a titan but only a slightly more powerful 3080 and that titan features had been purposefully locked out by Nvidia, something no review I had read ever mentioned he even called out nvidia CEO on it, even today you can see most people believe it's a titan, it's absolutely not

on the 6800xt he pointed out that while RT is niche, it's the trend and that AMD is bad at it, but worse...the cards are useless for rendering and more importantly video encoding, something AMD users might not realize but your processor, whatever it is..is trash compared to nvenc, streaming using nvenc make you lose alost no fps doesn't require an addon card, handbrake encoding is more than doubled on my threadripper when i activate nvenc a 9hrs job now takes like 4hrs also they added their AI green screen and mic denoiser, and streaming is a huge market today

I play in 1080p I still wouldn't buy a 6800xt today, don't know about the rendering and whatnot but the video encoder I'm not ready to give up it's way too good
    also all tvs are 4K now including my current one so I have to take 4K gaming into consideration
    waiting for the 6900XT it will have to be very good for me not to go 3080 (ti no way I'm buying a 10gb vram card)

(edit : I'm not diminishing the achievement that AMD made matching nvidia spec it's awesome they went from one generation behind to bein close to 1:1)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    ZXRaziel likes this.
  12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    So the summary is: it's good, and if you do not care about raytracing (for now) it's the best on the market?

13. Martin5000

Martin5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    Very impressive.
    [​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  14. Martin5000

Martin5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    AMD is just destroying the 1920x1080 benchmarks.

Undying likes this.
  15. Calle2003

Calle2003 Member

GPU:
    GTX560 1GB+GT430 1GB
    What hardware setup is being used (CPU, RAM, motherboard)? It’s relevant in especially the lower resolutions. Excuse me if it’s mentioned in the review but I can’t find it.

16. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Try the "Test environment & Equipment" page of the review.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_6800_xt_review,9.html

It's pretty hidden, so I can see how you missed it. :p

Calle2003 likes this.
  17. Calle2003

Calle2003 Member

GPU:
    GTX560 1GB+GT430 1GB
  18. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    With relatively minimal differences in performance to those platforms, and the requirement to retest all these games on all these many different graphics cards to keep any kind of historical basis of comparison, it makes perfect sense to keep the same test platform around for longer than one or two generations.

19. Calle2003

Calle2003 Member

GPU:
    GTX560 1GB+GT430 1GB
    I agree to some point but now there is a generational leap to PCI-Express 4.0 which RTX 3080 and more powerful cards do benefit from as well so I adjust my view to a 11th Gen Intel or Ryzen 5000.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Link, source?