Review: Zotac SONIX 480GB PCIe nVME SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we test tge new Zotac SONIX PCI-Express SSD today, an nVME PCIe SSD. Let me just quickly throw some numbers at you that will get a smile on your face, so how does 2,600 MB/s maximum read an...

Review: Zotac SONIX 480GB PCIe nVME SSD

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    My 256GB 950 PRO is killing it!! Love it! :thumbup:

3. Pictus

Pictus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Thank you for the review Hilbert!

Looks like the Samsung 950 Pro M.2/MVME is missing from the Sisoft Sandra Drive Index Write MB/s table.

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 - RX 590
    Excellent review Hilbert as always it was a great read. As a true Storage speed enthusiast myself i still drooling over this nVME SSD performance.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    Nice review and a great product but i'm worried about storage sizes of modern SSD's.

I was looking at my steam account and some other games that are over 50gigs in size now.

A drive of only 480gigs will only hold a few games these days and you will probably start running into problems and more errors once this drive is more than 75% filled.

Once these PCIe drives start hitting 8Tbs then hopefully games will still be 20-50gigs.

Since games seem to be growing in size still at a rather incredibly fast rate then SSD's need to catch up on size and stop trying to break speed records and increase density/size.

It won't be long at this rate before some modern DX12 games may reach the 100gigs mark :(

GTA V for example is already 64.4 GB on my system and that's with 0 expansions so far. If it does get some then it may be the first game for me to reach that 100gigs.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  6. Genova84

Genova84 Member

GPU:
    Aorus Xtreme 1080ti
    I had a 372GB PCI-e SSD, but had to remove it when I went from a r9 295x2 to my 980ti sli setup. It was a real shame. Load times were basically non-existent.

7. Darksword

Darksword Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 980 Ti
    This should have been tested against the 512GB 950 Pro, not the 256GB. The 512GB 950 Pro is also cheaper, about $330.00 USD.