Review: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review, we benchmark the GeForce RTX 3080 from ZOTAC, a very nice customized yet reference clocked product. It attempts to offer close to reference performance, good acoustics as well as a fri...

Review: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity

Caesar likes this.
  2. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    That loop bothers me... o_O

Attached Files:

3. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    POSCAPS! :eek:

:D:D:D

Attached Files:

4. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA 2080Ti
    Just a opinion, feel free to disagree :>
    If NVIDIA is binning the chips and keep the best batches for themselves then the issue with CTD that
    affected mostly AIB cards is really NVIDIAs own fault and basicly shooting themselves in the foot because
    they had to adjust driver afterwards so it affected all cards even their own and not just AIB cards.

They knew in advance that most AIBs would create overclocked versions of the RTX 3080 GPUs.
    So even if NVIDIA FE RTX3080 GPUs passed all NVIDIAs own tests, a lot AIBs would be close to failing
    because their so close to the vcore clock limit already and really no wonder some would fail going
    above 2.0GHz since the tests AIBs could do was limited and NVIDIA could test anything they wanted.

Some AIBs still created nice normal and overclock versions I think, but it was really a gamble from
    NVIDIA that did not go well. They should have known better.

I will still buy a 3090 but most likely a one of the normal versions and not factory overclocked ones :>
    I rather overclock it myself a bit or not at all than bumping into issues down the road because a driver
    and/or game/rendering suddenly pushes the GPU to much.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Maddness and tunejunky like this.

5. EngEd

EngEd Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I recommend to undervolt, overclock and add custom fan profile/curve on these cards all in the same time. Best way to get best performance, noise levels down and temps down while keeping it stable and not throttling or anything like that.

tunejunky and Lily GFX like this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    This one is the interesting part regarding the +2.0GHz...issue....

7. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    I dont know how people can buy this brand....

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    imho, this is the best looking card i've ever seen from Zotac.

but this price range and not a fully enclosed chassis blowing air out of your case, i will pass.

there is going to be a severe price/performance battle between AIB's and Nvidia. if you're fortunate (like Asus) with a robotic board building plant you can fight Nvidia's reference more easily with higher tolerances, better cooling, and different style.

there is no way i'm paying even half of that msrp without state of the art performance in every facet.
    what's harder this time round is Nvidia's determined to move more cards at launch and they are no doubt binning. the new Nvidia reference ampere style is very good-looking this time round if massive.

that's a real issue for those with itx rigs... they may have to buy a matx case just to have the 3 slots

Lily GFX likes this.
  9. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Just out of curiosity, why is Assassin's Creed Odyssey not used for benchmarking anymore?

It was one of the more 'demanding' games out there and was tested with the RTX 2000 series. I haven't seen the RTX 3080 tested on it yet, anywhere I looked. I might have missed a few, I'm not following every single reviews websites but of the ones I checked the RTX 3080 was never tested on Odyssey.

10. Loster

Loster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 2080TI

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Thanks, that does give a better appreciation of the game running with that card. However, I was more specifically looking for a review with a 1440p test. But seeing the 4K test is good too, ty.

12. Martin5000

Martin5000 Active Member

GPU:
    8 gig
    AMD Vega says minimum 1000 watt PSU yet uses less power than the 3080 you recommend a 650 watt PSU
    Only 750 watt for the 3090 that is using 30 watts more than Vega.
    Dont you think your recommendations might be a little to optimistic ?
    Makes no sense.
    [​IMG]

13. HybOj

HybOj Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    What is this RTX 3080 card? Not a single major shop in my country has that for sale, never had. Not a FE version or any of the other versions including this one.