Review: Wolfenstein II The New Colossus: PC Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks for the sunday release. any chance you can start showing off the 8700k or one of the new 6core intel cpus in the benchmarks to see if they make any difference?

1440p results seem a bit odd, in game with a 1080ti i'm almost hitting my 144hz monitor(gsync) cap, with a few dips down here and there

3. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Yeah, The eyecandy in this game does make Doom look like the poor cousin, especially with textures, my 1070 uses well over 7GB of frame buffer from time to time on full settings 1080p.
    Great game, playing with my mouth wide open at times. :)
    Ty Hilbert. :)

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah, I have opted a level that is pretty harsh on the GPU, so overall results will be a notch better.

As far as Coffee lake goes, my samples are returned to the party that borrowed them. Currently, I have no access to Coffee lake due to unavailability or simply insane prices (will need to buy one).

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ah, no worries then! Hopefully you can find one soon. these things are selling like hot cakes. though i'd assume the differences would be within a 1-2(maybe 3)% variable anyway for most games

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The fact that Intel no longer provides parts in Europe for reviewers to test is still hard to believe!!! How can they be so stupid!!!:mad:

Must be hard having to shell out your won money just to have the CPUs to test...

7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Vulcan should be more often used....dx12 sucks compared to it and is tied to one platform, which is biggest isssue...

KissSh0t likes this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Wow.. last gen cards getting hammered. Can it really be vram? 4gb cards seem choked, 8gb+ cards doing well. Is 4gb heading the way of 2gb cards so soon?

9. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Only when you play on "Mein Leben".

4GB still runs pretty good with Medium/High settings.

PS: I wish reviewers would stop using these exorbitantly stupid Über-settings and also throw some medium/high test runs in, for us lowly budget peasants.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Huh so the async compute option really is missing for certain GPU models with the latest (non-beta) patch, interesting.

Image streaming can also go up a bit higher but that really taxes 4 GB GPU's to their limits since it allocates pretty much all VRAM by using a value of 4096 instead of 2048 though the improved texture clarity is nice, biggest downside of idTech6 even if it's better than idTech5 was but it takes a while for textures to stream in due to the sheer size of the texture data used so it's in little chunks at a time though overall it allows for very detailed scenes with less tiling from how I understood it, more varied texture work too but memory held back the initial idTech5 games though the overall environmental detail was pretty good even so far as I remember.

EDIT: Well perhaps not the biggest downside, but it's one of the more noticeable traits of the engine or how to say. :)

No OGL support in Wolf2 either, guessing idTech6.5 is leaving that behind though it would have made for some interesting API comparisons though AMD kinda trails behind in overall performance so might not have made for a good comparison for their GPU's other than showing how much more work they've put into Vulkan support heh.

11. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I'm glad the 'trial' version of this garbage game was available for me to try.

For the first time since I've been a pc gamer, it actually forced me by way of message, to upgrade to a specific new driver...it wouldn't let me play it without it.

Then after upgrading to it and getting to the menu, I find that the game has flickering black lines across the screen in the middle, so I google it and basically you have to play it at less than 4k to make the lines go away, which dozens of people reported in forums.

Then I finally load the game and find that the in game vsync still doesn't work, just like the new order.

Then I force it in nvcp and find that this game is so broken that even forcing it in the exact driver the game tells you to use, vsync doesn't work and also doesn't fix the black lines in the middle of the screen.

After googling around and reading various forums about how many problems this dumpster fire of a game has, I uninstalled it, and will never bother again. Glad for the demo, I would have been furious if I had paid for it, and reading hilberts problems....this game is clearly half baked.

12. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I need to update you guys, I havge gtx970 and its NOT TRUTH this card cant handle the game. Everything depends on ONE setting and that is IMAGE STREAMING, which is basicaly a amount of cache used/memory pool size, it has not influence on texture quality etc, same as in games like Resident Evil and other modern games.

I play on ultra, 1200p, and IMAGE STREAMING on HIGH and 60 fps LOCKED. I dont like the metodology used here (and everywhere on net) - because if I decided according to that, I would have thought my card wont cut it. But it does, no problem. So, if you have 3,5gb VRAM as me, just set this one thing to high, rest leave at ultra preset and you will be golden (even with my FX8300 at 4ghz - its more than enough)

This game is EXTREMELY well optimized and I want ppl to know it.

PS: If I set image streaming higher than to "HIGH" fps drops a lot to 40fps range. Everything above HIGH will totally overload your card memory (and RAM as well if you dont have more than 8gb)

PSS: This is not a hate towards HH, just a notice. I understand he doesnt have a time to fiddle with each setting and find the reasons behind lacklucter perf at ultra settings...

PSSS: Beth should have just remove this setting and let it choose automatically! It just creates confusion and bad perf for ppl who dont have a time to f with settings!

PSSSS: contrary to doom, on my setup the Deffered rendering (Vulkan) really increases performance and never decreases it, I play with Deffered ON and its great. In doom, DX11 was better choice. So they even improved this aspec! HEIL!!! HEIL!!! HEIL!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  13. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    The game runs very nice even on my old FX 8350 at 1080p and Ultra settings. These old FX cpu's love Vulkan. I am hitting around 120 fps with some ups and downs. I loved the game. I will play it again soon.

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    *cough*...Most likely, it means very low yields coming out of Intel for these cpus thus far...hardly surprising, I should think.

15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I thought I saw a post in which someone spoke of a "demo"...I can't find one. Only thing I've seen available are cut scenes (which some people now call "demos" for some weird reason)--which would tell me nothing at all about the gameplay itself. Since HH found the game to be fairly buggy, I wouldn't be surprised to find that an actual installable, playable demo was not available. But...? Appreciate any info...!

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Wow, nvidia cards are really trash in this game, due to Vulkan probably, AMD has a huge lead here.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Some of AMDs own cards are trash in this game (Fiji). Furyx is behind RX470 at all resolutions.

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think it was more they just wanted the product out, paper launch. from talking to retailers it seems they will be getting shipments every month till all needs are met. Mind you this is from UK retrailers, i cannot speak for everywhere

19. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Hilbert, don't take this the wrong way, and maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it almost seems like you're afraid to like this game so as not to offend the extreme minority that are white supremacists who are angry that this game destroys Nazis, as the Wolfenstein series has ALWAYS done. Also, you may want to pass on a subjective review of a game genre that just isn't your cup of tea; maybe only do the benchmarking.

I'm not an FPS gamer, I really wish this was a TPS, but I'm going to buy it just to support the publisher for not backing away from what they've always done and saying yeah, it's anti-*****/hate. I also want to support them for going Vulkan and supporting AMD who has changed the industry this year to the benefit of consumers. Vega a failure, 1070ti say maybe you should rethink that son.

Anyway, other than that, decent review though I'm not seeing all the bugs in the voluminous excellent reviews from others.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No mate, you are seeing that wrong. It's simply not my type of game, but to anyone who likes the genre, that's totally fine and props to the devs/software house that makes it. It is a ballsy title.

The disclaimer was there as we have a lot of readers under 17, with the ***** theme and scrutinizing painful intro with the dog and let's say the beheading moment, I felt there was a need for that disclaimer.

Embra, Turanis and airbud7 like this.