Review: WD Red SN500 NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    WD's latest NVMe SSD is intended to broaden out the company's product lineup, but it also starts to end their SATA solid-state drives (SSDs). Recent releases from WD include the all-new WD Red SN500...

Review: WD Red SN500 NVMe SSD

Embra, mackintosh and tunejunky like this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    excellent painstaking review.

what i'm left with then is an issue of trust. i trusted the WD Red spinners, but WD has called that trust into question with their unannounced re-spec of certain SSD's.

just like i will not buy a psu from Gigabyte (and check three times on their mobos like i did with X570s Aero G), WD is no longer a go-to for storage as they once were for me.

i've had nothing but excellence from Micron (Crucial p5+ is amaze-balls) and i'm using Mushkin Pilot-E in my NAS since i replaced my last (Hitachi) spinners. they are able to use Opal encryption too, tho' that's not a biggie for me at home. at work it IS a biggie but i just copied what was working well.

3. StevenP8383

StevenP8383 Guest

GPU:
    The expensive one
    The numbers for the black and blue are odd. Blue seems spot on write slow read but the black is not only significantly slower than the blue but is 50ish percent slower than ratings and personal use observed of both drives daily. Only time I observe massive write slow downs is when underpowered in a bus powered external. The black needs 90 plus percent of the available wattage not including the enclosures chipset. Best case use in that scenario is plugged directly to a thunderbolt dock. I've never seen such low numbers even when under powered and outside of cache limits. Thanks for the awesome amount of information none the less.

4. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Someone please do a review on the SN730. Thank you.