Review: WD Black SN750 NVME SSD 1TB (2019)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A week or so ago Western Digital launched their WD Black SN 750 series NVMe SSDs. We had the opportunity to test the 1TB unit thoroughly. The SSD has SanDisk written all over it, literally, and that i...

Review: WD Black SN750 NVME SSD 1TB (2019)

2. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    This one looks worth for ssd upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    No kidding about the heat build up in an NVMe M.2 drive--for some reason I kind of glaze over "heat" information on these drives (even HH's nice thermal information!) when I read these reviews. No more. Ran into my first problem with my EVO 960 250 GB NVMe boot drive. Something possessed me to run a custom Defender scan on C:\ (where the entire drive is scanned) and lo-and-behold I began seeing GSOD's (for various errors) suddenly in what has always been a rock solid system. Doing several things I finally narrowed it down to heat: first, I scanned my entire C:\ drive several directories (8-10) at a time, all the way through the drive contents without incident, to make sure the drive was clean of virus/malware. Then to double check I copied my entire C:\ boot drive (only thing on it is Windows and my utility programs) to a folder on one of my HDDs--and scanned it again, there, without incident, in a custom scan, just to make sure. No problems. So it has to be heat--and only the heat generated by invoking a custom drive scan of my NVMe boot drive.

For any other lesser drive task, the heat never reaches a high enough temp to first freeze the system and then hard lock it. Only way out is the reset switch. I'd never done a custom scan on C:\ since installing the 960 as my boot drive, because I figured if I ever wanted to I could, and because Windows does background AV/Malware scanning all the time--to frequently pop up messages like, "Your system has been scanned 9 times and no problems have been found," etc. It's in the m.2 slot @ 4x and sheathed with the MSI heatsink that was included with my motherboard--but in the case wherein the drive is called on to run continuously for several minutes--the sheath heatsink is not enough, at least in my case. I was actually able to predict the heat build up by noting that after a certain number of files/directories were scanned the drive would begin to slow down noticeably--just before the inevitable lock up--unless the scanning stopped before that tipping point was reached--at which point the drive would cool over a span of 10-20 seconds and operating performance returned to normal.

I'm debating on whether or not to do anything about it, though. For all other operations, the drive functions perfectly. So, I either get a better heatsink or avoid doing a Defender custom scan of my entire C:\ drive! Still collating...;) I really don't *need* to custom-scan C:\...still...

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    @waltc3 I have a 960 evo 250gb without a heatsink. I never do any full or custom scans. Just everything default for defender. Run malwarbytes default settings scan once a month. Never have a heat issue. Its my OS drive.