Review: TRENDnet 5-port Unmanaged 2.5G Switch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the TEG-S350 switch from TRENDnet. We've been evangelizing for years now to achieve faster Ethernet. That trend has started towards PC motherboards, NAS units, and routers; but lagging behi...

Review: TRENDnet 5-port Unmanaged 2.5G Switch

wavetrex likes this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I've been at 2.5 gbps in my home network for almost two years now ( caught a nice mega-discount on an otherwise €400 managed switch ), and I love it.

There were no changes at all to the cables, just new cheapo 2.5g cards from AliExpress and Amazon, besiede one new mobo which has an Intel 225 chip on it... and overall, everything moves smoothly over the network and I can copy files without any issue without clogging the internet (like it happened before with 1g)

Some people say "why not move straight to 10 gbits?"... because it's way too expensive, and also complete overkill for home use.
    2.5 gbps is slightly faster than usual HDDs, removing the network bottleneck, but 10 gbps is so much faster that it would never be fully utilized in a home environment. (Copying large files from SSD to SSD happens literally once in a blue moon)

3. Michael Lang

Michael Lang Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim Liquid x4090
    Yeah just bought 3 of there 8 port 2.5's and beta testing Googles 2 gig internet. I looked at trying to go 10g since every PC in the house has a 10gig port but they are way over priced think I got my 8 port 2.5 for like 150. I dont think 10g is a overkill it would be nice to be able to copy files between PCs that actually have newer m.2s at speed they can handle instead of HDD speeds lol even at 2.5g. Always in pursuit of faster transfers just like I didnt need to go from a 5.2ghz oc 10900k to a 5950x with 2x WD 850 2tb in raid. Just like I didnt need a 3090 EVGA and my 13y son surely didnt need a 3090 but with all the ques and line I put myself in I ended up with 2 Zotac 3090s and 2 EVGA FTW3 3090s. Just have to fill that need for speed lol

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    In other words, you're rich... congrats.

The rest of us, well, most don't even need 2.5 tbh, or even 1. Or even wired ...
    SmartTV's that people use to watch Netflix usually have only 100mbps NIC inside, because that's more than enough.

For enthusiasts which are not exactly overflowing with money, 2.5g wired is great for the reasons I described above.

Keitosha likes this.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The need to brag is strong

Keitosha likes this.
  6. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    He's just compensating I guess...

7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    wouldn't say 10gbit is overkill but it depends on your network and use
    I'm down to 2.5gbit now (asus crosshait VIII dark hero) wanted a msi x570 creator but the width is stupid, with 4 dimms it manages to be wider than a trx40 8 dimms e-atx :confused: read mostly bad comments about it too
    the 1st thing I noticed motherboard wise is that the 4x lanes that it would have taken for an onboard 10gbe have been spent on more USBs and 8 full speed SATA ports, worth the trade

I can still plug a 10gbe NIC I guess, haven't tried it yet ASUS doesn't really say how the lanes are split unlike MSI

insp1re2600 likes this.
  8. Michael Lang

GPU:
    Suprim Liquid x4090
    Have the same board Dark Hero couldnt find a MSI Godlike in stock at a normal price. I perfer MSI boards over Asus myself as memory and lane splitting just seems to be easier/better on MSI. I run 1 z490 God for old ladies work PC, 1 Gigabyte Extreme z490 for son gaming rig, x299 Creator for my Plex server, and Dark Hero x570 for my main gaming rig and I have to say I just absolutely hate the gigabyte board as it is very picky on memory takes forever for the first time post compared to the Asus and MSI. May I ask what memory and speed you have running on your Dark Hero? I can run DDR 4000 Gskill long as it 2 sticks with my 5950x but cant with 4 and of course there is a nice little hit going from 4 to 2 stick on the 5000 series so I saw no differnce running a 1:1 4000 ratio with 2 sticks compared to 4 stick @ 3200 or @3600. I do however have the 4000 kit running at 3733 1:1 at c14 timings. The same kit could do c15 @ 4000 on my z490 godlike and I know 4000 isnt easy to do on Ryzen

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Hey just a question about 2.5g. My new mobo has two RJ-45 ports, a Realtek 2.5GbE port and an Intel GbE 1g port.

My internet is only 80/20 and it's the best i can get. I have 10ms to my first hop which is really good for copper wire connection.

Will it make any difference which port i use? remember i get only 8mb/s so i'm just using the Intel port for now but it makes me think the 2.5g port will be better or does it really matter with such low internet speeds?

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Hardly anybody needs more than 1Gbps if all you care about is internet speed, since very few people have internet speeds faster than that. The main purpose of going faster is for LANs. If for example you have a home server, getting more bandwidth can be worth the investment. For offices, sometimes you can still get by with 1Gbps for a typical cubicle, but the switch might have a couple of 10Gbps ports, which effectively allows nearly every cubicle PC to access the server/mainframe or internet without getting bottlenecked.

Keitosha likes this.

11. Michael Lang

GPU:
    Suprim Liquid x4090
    I wasn't trying to brag earlier I was just trying to say why have these high-end rigs and have network speeds than cant even max out platter HDs. I'm also far from rich but I do work hard for what I make and help run a successful Accounting Firm so I enjoy the benefits of pretty much working 7 days a week 9-5. I did get a nice little laugh from the guy that said "the need to brag is strong" I'm guessing it was because of the Yoda profile picture. I myself copy a lot of data between PC and having a 2.5g switch is nice being able to copy files at 250 megs vs 100 for 1G ports. Also Googles Router for there 2 Gig service only has 1 10g port so without a switch only 1 device would be able to benefit for there 2 gig service. The last I checked for 10 Gig switches were in the $500 plus range for like a 5 Port which is just retarded. I mean sure people could do with 100 meg nic and wait 30 min to hour to copy something. I was just saying it was all about trying to fill that need for speed and be more productive. As for the guy asking about which port he should use would depend on what speed your connecting to your router or modem the Realtek will just drop down to whatever speed that connection and I personally never saw a difference from Intel's 1 gig and Realtek on a 1 gig connection other than the Realtek seemed easier to allow ports to be opened and forwarded. So in gaming it would be hard to tell which port is which as your ping and lag would or should be the same regardless of which port u use at least in my experiences anyways.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Brasky and insp1re2600 like this.
  12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Im on 200mbi internet and i still don't think i need more.

13. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Personally I have 600/600 Mbps (which actually works at around 650/640 Mbps) and I'd be glad to have more, but as commented above, it's about the LAN, not the internet connection. Not even my NAS has better than 1 Gbps, so I'll be stuck with a maximum of ~940 Mbps actual speed for quite some time.

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Way better than those "gaming" switch... for the same price.
    Sadly it lack the management, but yes it's enough for home use and make it less expensive.

15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    MSI for me they have the best (high-end) motherboard layout engineer, too bad they messed up on the x570 creation, I have a trx40 creator and it's perfect, the M.2s are on the borders of the board and the main one is at the bottom front of the motherboard where it's the coolest, while on the asus dark hero it sits just above the gpu (without watercooling I would not have bought this MB because of that)
    honestly I have no idea about memory timings and overclocks and I don't care that much I want something where my heavily modded games (aka borderline playable and 3fps on a mid-tier PC) actually run well not benchmarks numbers (they are just one way to know if my settings go in the right or wrong direction)
    my memory kit is : Corsair CMW32GX4M4K4000C19 4x8Gbs ddr4-4000 19-23-23-45 (which was QVL for the msi creation but not the crosshair)
    I run 4 sticks at 3600 18-21-21-41 CR1 I set 17 in the bios but for some reason it becomes a 18...I copied those from the SPD XMP info for 1789Mhz seen in aida64
    CURRENT CTR 2.0 RC5 SETTINGS
    P2 VID-1260mV CPUusage-16% HoldingTime-750ms CCX1-4725Mhz CCX2-4525Mhz
    P1 VID-1106mV CPUusage-82% HoldingTime-750ms CCX1-4475Mhz CCX2-4275Mhz
    Memory Speed DDR4-3600
    Memory Timing 18-21-21-41 CR1
    North Bridge Clock 1800Mhz

cinebench R23 28720/1574 18.25x
    cinebench R20 11127/622 17.89x
    cinebench R15 5032/265 19.02x 243.40fps
    cinebench R11.5 51.83pts 127.39fps

good news X570 can take a 10gbe NIC Intel X550-T1 and a soundcard without running out of bandwith for the GPU (still 4.0 x16)
    while I appreciate the fact that having only 2.5Gbs probably liberated bandwith for rear I/O USBs (I use 9+) I couldn't stay like this, almost an insult to people with okay or bad internet to nerf mine with a 2.5gbs port, I'm lucky enough to have the fastest consumer internet on the planet, believe me I'm using it

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2021

16. Michael Lang

GPU:
    Suprim Liquid x4090
    Yeah I run and Ae-9 sound card and a single slot M.2 card and still able to have video at full 4.0 x16. I almost didn't buy the dark just because it only had 2 m.2 slot has I ran x7 2tb m.2 and sound on my x299 10920x setup then went 10900k and each time I was loosing storage. That is some nice internet speed there I get around 2020 down and 900 up on Google's 2 gig. Here I was thinking being able to download a new AAA title off of steam at like 250mb/s sec and like 20 mins max for most titles was doing good lol. I wasn't to fond of the x570 Creation layout either and didnt really like that there Godlike had Killer nic either as I have had nothing but problems with there software deciding just to crap out granted its just a Intel nic with (crap) software.

17. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Wow, these can handle 12KB jumbo frames. That's very interesting. I had to use jumbo frames with a network of inspection cameras once and it was limited to 5KB frames at that time. We had a dozen GigE cameras with around 1M pixel resolution, all sending images at once. That made for a rather crowded switch and it was an expensive one at the time.

ETA: upon further review, I found that 9KB is the standard maximum size for jumbo frames these days.