Review: Total War WARHAMMER DirectX 12 PC graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I agree that NVIDIA doesn't really have a "true" DX12 architecture yet, but I don't agree on ****ting on their products so much. If you don't really expect a tremendous uplift with DX12, their stuff is ok. The problem they have is that they sell with "DX11 pricing" which doesn't seem to correspond to the DX12 performance against similar Radeons (look the Nano vs the 980 for example).

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm not even sure I know what the definition of a "true" DX12 architecture is. Unless you just define it as GCN. Which I guess is basically what it's going to come down to, since DX12 is essentially built off of GCN's capability.

It just bothers me when I read posts like "Maxwell and Pascal are single threaded" which is like just complete nonsense. Like if you're talking about actual threads, it's super wrong, but even if you translate it from he's trying to say, that it can't mix compute/graphics, it's still wrong. Maxwell can mix compute/graphics.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Properly capable of multi-engine stuff. Less serialized. Please let's not start this again.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    You must understand that Nvidia can do pretty much what they want with pricing VS AMD because they have a MASSIVE market share in the GPU area.

From a business point of view they must feel that they can do nothing wrong, which was more than evident with the 970 debacle. Basically releasing a product that was slightly misleading but still went on to become the best selling card of all time.

Either Nvidia has built up a massive fanboy base or they are just that good. Opinion of that statement makes no difference, truth is that AMD is like a flea on a cows behind compared to Nvidia in the GPU market.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    They have 56,64% of the gaming PC market, according to the Steam Hardware Survey. AMD has 25,46%. That's more than double, but GCN is the target platform for Apple and all the consoles on top. They are big, but on PC and the PC is not the end of all things. All AAA titles have engines tweaked for GCN, otherwise it would be a commercial suicide.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I'll be very disappointed if the final release of the DX12 patch for public doesn't support feature level 11_0/11_1

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The point, as usual, is moot.

NVIDIA cannot be ignored because (as already stated) putting out a PC game that only runs well on a quarter of users is pointless.

And even if NVIDIA was tossed aside by devs thanks the prominence of AMD, and things like GameWorks on GitHub for UE4 didn't work... it's not like they would lay down and give up. Same as AMD, these companies are too big (or important) to fail.

It's the dynamic we have had for a long time now like it or not, Intel makes CPU's, NVIDIA makes GPU's, and AMD serves as the only competition to both. If either three companies are on the verge of falling they will be saved.
    I'm just tired of people spelling doom for NVIDIA or AMD (obviously no one spells doom for Intel lol).
    It's so melodramatic.
    Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but the way this all comes across is what I've been seeing more and more of for awhile now. And it seems no hardware, software, or video game quells the dooms-day-sayers.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Biggest problem for AMD, at least in recent years is that they're always one step behind Nvidia , release time wise. Their gpus are obviously pretty good, the drivers are also good.

Problem is they're a few months behind when it comes to releasing cards to challenge Nvidia. They need to change that, they need to be a step ahead. There's plenty of people who are often looking to upgrade to the newest architecture. But those sales go into Nvidia bank account. I'm sure if AMD had 1080 and 1070 competitors out right now, Nvidia would lose out on quite a few sales. They simply let Nvidia do whatever they want.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I would actually argue that their SW is behind, not their hardware. Look at Hawaii/Maxwell comparative performance over time.

10. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    If anything amds drivers are better than nvidias with pretty nice boosts in performance even for older cards something you just don't see with nvidia.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There was boosts in older cards because the older cards were previously under-performing.

You don't see it with Nvidia because you can't write software to magically make Kepler able to mix compute and graphics.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Only Hawaii came too late.

13. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Yeah. You can't improve hardware with magic, unless it's a voodoo card and you just so happen to be a voodoo priest.

Good old days of voodoo hard modding, sticking your tongue in the spinning fan to give a blood sacrifice to the electron gods. Good times.

14. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    As is evidence with AMD, drivers held the card back, and since graphics cards are only as good as the drivers there was a lot of untapped resources available, around 20-40% thats ALOT of unused parts of the card which is what nVidia have been competing against. However intill DX12 becomes mainstream nVidia still have the lead in DX11 which most games are based on.

15. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Vapour X
    I would say Hawaii has been an incredible success for AMD. They couldn't make enough of them at first cause every bitcoin miner wanted a dozen of them. Then with a few tweaks and double the memory they've kept it within spitting distance of 980's at worst and at best, trading blows with 980Ti's at stock clocks. I still see the 295X2 popping up in benchmarks and posting respectable numbers.

Not bad for a 3 year old architecture.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Big edit because I'm an idiot.

Hawaii came 5 months after Kepler and didn't perform any better.
    Then 970/980 Maxwells came well before the Fury and FuryX.
    Now we see Pascalls before we see Vega. Polaris is a mid range card, I'm sure it will sell well. But AMD better hope that nvidia don't release a 1060 on par with it at the same price.

And my money is on Vega either coming late, or coming just before 1080ti. Nvidia will be ready for Vega launch.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Hawaii came out a year before Maxwell (2013).

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh ffs, I meant Kepler, my bad.

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    I'm pretty sure Nvidia will be scrambling about the fact that AMD is about to dominate the budget market with an amazing bang for buck card the RX480.

Nvidia will release a 1060 that will be tweaked to beat that 480 in all departments except cost of course because 1060 will be 220$ or 20 quid more but still reasonable for Nvidia fans upgrading from 660-760s whom don't want an AMD card.

1060 will match 980s @ 1400mhz. Just watch this space.

Like others have mentioned it feels like Nvidia hold all the cards(no pun intended) and soon as AMD starts to get a bit of momentum going Nvidia just steps in and has 4 aces.

Shows two aces in the 1080 & 1070 and holds two back Ti & 1060. Plus if they need cards for certain segments they just do a 1060Ti.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  20. Marringu

Marringu Member

GPU:
    Asus 1070 OC
    Great review.
    Games have been GPU bound for quite some time, but it seems like CPU power in games, is on the way back with DX12. Atleast for this game. ;)