Review: The Division 2: PC graphics performance benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's obviously caching it - it's not like the 8GB/6GB cards are filled or exhibiting any lack of VRAM issues in the game. They probably just have it set to fill a % of total ram or hard cap the cache at a specific amount for each card/ram size.

Also if you're talking about delta compression that was added in Kepler (announced with Maxwell) and GCN 2 and whatnot - it doesn't actually reduce total VRAM amount, only the bandwidth transferred over the bus.

Undying likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I wouldn't say it's obvious, just very likely. When you've got 16GB of HBM2, the drivers could intentionally be pretty lax about compression.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's a delta compression.. it doesn't affect the total VRAM usage.

I think you're getting texture compression confused with the delta compression that occurs on a GPU. Textures are compressed with technologies like DXTC/ASTC at the game level. When they get loaded into VRAM they are already compressed - the GPU doesn't compress them again. Frame Buffers/Render targets utilize delta compression the GPU - which essentially means the GPU looks at frame A compares it to frame B and only sends the data across the bus that changed. This compression has no bearing on total VRAM allocation because the final frame buffer is still taking the same amount of space - it's just sending less data over the bus.

You could make the argument that HBM2 has so much bandwidth that the delta compression isn't necessary because it does eat several cycles to run - but that's not really relevant to the amount of total VRAM or using the VRAM as a texture cache.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  4. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    What I find interesting is the recommended systems, which seem misleading and inaccurate.
    When you look at Hilbert's "Ultra" preset results, you see they match up with the recommended specs.
    Who plays on "Ultra" at 30FPS when they could play on "High" at 60FPS?
    If you're on a 2500K and 1080 monitor, probably not you...
    A 480 or a 970? There's almost a 20FPS difference! It should say "480 / 1060".
    A 2080Ti or a Radeon VII? Again, with a 17FPS spread! It should say "Radeon VII / 2080".
    On many levels, the recommendations are non-sense!

My results:
    3770+580=62FPS @1080 on Ultra
    3770+580=94FPS @1080 on High
    3770+580=55FPS @1440 on High

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Misleading and inaccurate? It is always so depressing when you spend two days on an article that people can trash the content in a split second some way or somehow. Why always hate and disrespect?

If you peeked a bit better, the CPU used is not that important ergo the recommendation stands. Even your 3770 matches my 9900K proc in perf by ... a whopping 1 FPS difference. We test Ultra quality as on a PC, you should game at proper image quality. If not, go play on a console.

Yes if you have a condition where you have a low FPS or feel you'd rather have 90 FPS over 60 FPS, obviously a lower quality setting will help out greatly, it's why I add the perf measurements at three quality settings. Gosh, you know what?, I just realized that on my free Friday evening I am again getting dragged into discussions that waste my free time.

Good night and have a pleasant evening.

INSTG8R, Corrupt^, Turanis and 2 others like this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    it's a 4 year old card. It's not getting old. It is old.

Odarnok, Maddness and Undying like this.
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Maybe I'm misreading his post but I feel like he's saying Ubisofts recommended specs are misleading because the GPU comparisons between vendors result in widely different framerates at a given preset? But it also says medium preset in your article for the 970 which should push it over 60 so idk.

I think people take the recommended guidelines too seriously. Probably the work of some random unpaid intern.

alanm likes this.
  8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Ultra seems fine on RX580, but on specific places (green fog or fog effects overall) fps drops noticeably.
    Benchmark does not reflect that at all.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    There are drops to mid 40's with 580/Ultra but overall its a good experience mostly at 60fps. It depends on the cpu as well.

4c4t cpus have really hard time lately with new games. 6c12t is where you should be at.

https://i.**********/nLw037pL/Untitled.png

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Please dont stop making these benchmarks. With every new game can only imagine how its like spending two days on benchmarking the games just so we can compare our cards and argue.
    We kinda rely on these.

Enjoy rest of the friday.

Koniakki and airbud7 like this.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    The Readon VII barely has functional drivers at this point.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh no worries, I love making these and know the majority of people like it. BTW he might have meant Ubi's recommendations, not mine in the article. That's a little unclear. Regardless of that, it's a recommendation, not a necessity.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yeah, I read it as UBI's recommended specs as misleading, not something in Hilberts article as misleading.

14. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Another great article, thanks Hilbert! <3

15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    I'm fine on the CPU side (Ryzen 2600@4Ghz).
    GPU is running happily around 50-70% ... but then green fog and boom, GPU 100%, CPU around 55% at that time :)
    But few settings can easily change that and gfx difference is barely noticeable.
    I wish that all new games would be optimized like this!

Undying likes this.

16. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    TO BE CLEAR I was referring to the recommedations from Ubisoft...
    I'm talking about CPU scaling and inaccurate "minimum" CPU recommendations...
    It's just a weird time we're in where they are combinations of 7 year old CPUs that can still do OK with a good enough GPU. It's hard to list requirements for people that don't know the CPU performance hierarchy over the last 10 years...
    I'd love to see a CPU scaling comparison at various clocks and core counts.
    That "go play on a console" bit was funny though :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  17. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    *Maxwell - but I didn't expect Maxwell to age like it has done...

Undying and airbud7 like this.
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    One driver update will change that....Watch.

jbscotchman likes this.
  19. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I've got to say I'm really pleased with the performance I'm getting with the game overall.

Running Ultra+ at 1440p with a mild OC/UV on my Vega 56 (~172W power limit) the benchmark swings between 60-80 FPS and averages 68. I only dip to 58/59 FPS very briefly at one point, most of the time ingame I'm in the 70s.

Can't complain!

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Closed beta ran great 75-90fps @ 1080p mostly maxed settings - similar to old division. When I first tested alpha it was terrible 40-60fps max xD

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019