Review: Shadow of the Tomb Raider perf review update: RTX & DLSS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Noisiv, chispy, alanm and 5 others like this.
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Well, it's cool, looks great. Had to inspect source and open the screenshot comparison in another tab to check DLSS.

Still blurry and really noticeable on Lara clothing.

Most likely won't reinstall the game to test it, but glad they finally pushed the update out.

HARDRESET and BlackZero like this.
  3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the update.
    If you want to play with RTX On/DLSS On ,you should start a new game.
    Using an old save will cause black screen after a few minutes of play.You have to restart the game to get it back to normal.

XenthorX likes this.
  4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Great to see, a few niggles:
    Conclusion:
    It's a bit of a shame that the game does not support DLSS or Raytracing just yet as we would love to have checked that out as well. A future update as such is planned
    DLSS:
    Graph here - both are marked as "2080TI RTX 2080Ti + RTX off - DLSS On" but framerate is different.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This is pretty disappointing in my opinion. I looked closely at the pics and the difference is so minimal, while performance suffers I could not justify buying an RTX card right now. That's just me though, I'm still using 1080p so I was very happy spending under $300 for a card that will last me a few years. This kinda reminds when Half Life 2 came out and the Nvidia FX series was exposed for their poor DX9 performance.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Strange:

the review does not include RTX Ultra and DLSS OFF for max image quality. Why omit this?

I'd like to see ther DLSS OFF and RTX Ulta at 3840x2160 performance and the gap,

DLSS and 4k makes no sense anyhow: it runs the image like 2560x1440 but scales it to 4k. Why would you buy a 4k monitor so DLSS can make you feel like you bought a lesser resolution monitor?

Dragam1337 and Biały Wilk like this.
  7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Interpolation and extrapolation can be great tools for improving results in difficult situations, and all meaningful algorithms will always be complex in nature.

Consequently, an effective approach will take time to find the correct balance that doesn't sacrifice perceived quality, while the final product could potentially be of benefit in many more situations than just ray tracing support .

If you're willing to invest in new technology, you're likely to have patience in abundance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Loster and Xtreme1979 like this.
  8. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Just in time for me to have finished the game ages ago. May reinstall for a quick play but it's a case of too little, too late.

9. Biały Wilk

Biały Wilk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850
    This nails it, without it I see this test as useless as it can be as I'm not going to upscale. For me DLSS looks shitty.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I assume that anyone who spends money on an RTX card is going to enable DLSS, I honestly do not see people that actually purchased the card not use it. I can do another set of RTX testing with DLSS disabled if people prefer that.

To the guys who actually bought an RTX, for this game will you have DLSS enabled or disabled?

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Finished the game weeks ago. Will have to reinstall to check it out, esp since the best gains appear at ultra HD. Regardless of the DLSS, the RT in this game doesnt seem to be as performance taxing according to the results. I guess understandable since its only shadows applied rather than global illumination.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    WOW! it looks.....................

............The same, apart from the big frame hit :D

Dragam1337, airbud7 and Undying like this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    And slightly blurrier image. :p

Dragam1337, Rich_Guy and airbud7 like this.
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hey Hilbert, I have not yet put my RTX card in my rig, but I have to say, I'll probably at least try it out enabled. Not sure if I don't go for 4K on my 2K monitor with lower internal resolution, toy around with it a bit, see for myself.

airbud7 likes this.
  15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I play 4K Freesync ,DLSS is a must have on enabled feature in BF5,Metro Exodus, Shadow Of The Tomb Raider,FFXV.

DLSS does not look bad while you are playing the game. Heck you need screenshots to tell the difference if it is enabled or disabled.
    No point in doing screenshot with DLSS disabled there are plenty of examples already.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    DLSS there is nightmare. It not only ruins Lara's clothing, it ruins all "details". And in this case calling it details is inappropriate because some of those things lost are all there is to object.
    Like threads to balloons becoming just some yellow "wires?". All textures are now appearing as low resolution.

Those "blocky" shadows on Lara are crazy. DX-R is supposed to make those shadows good and then DLSS ruins them...

Worst thing is that when I unzoom those images to cover my entire 1080p screen, I can still see those differences. (Native 1080p rendering could possibly deliver better IQ than DLSS for 4k.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    yeah, DLSS x1 is disappointing so far, really waiting DLSS X2 on same resolution

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090