Review: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Andy Brady

Andy Brady New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti MaxQ 6GB
    20201008_233703.jpg Just clean installed on my HP laptop. Running at 46°C and Magician benchmark tests as expected for PCIe 3 installation.

What was unexpected was discovering the driver its using is a generic windows one and that there isn't currently one available on the website or on Magician. Seems to be working fine though.

I may have accidentally deleted it's own driver but would appreciate if anyone can check if they've got a Samsung driver or also got the windows one. Is it a big issue?

2. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    You need to intentionally install the Samsung specific NVMe driver.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Expand the + under drivers, the link is there.

3. Andy Brady

Andy Brady New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti MaxQ 6GB
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I checked the link you kindly provided. It's the same as I've already tried. The 980 Pro is not listed under the Samsung NVMe Driver, nor is any driver listed under the 980 Pro on this link:

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/consumer/

Samsung webchat admitted the oversight and I've raised a ticket for them to get back to me on it.

Strange that you can use Magician to update the firmware but not the driver.

I tried the listed NVMe driver but it couldn't install. I don't know if its because it's not compatible all some issue I've caused.

Just interested in hearing what type of driver others have on their own 980 Pro's and/or if others have successfully managed to install the Samsung NVMe driver currently listed (though Samsung don't list the 980 Pro as a ssd the driver supports).