1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2. SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Samsung suits think way too high of themselves, if there is product with almost three times the endurance, similar benchmarks, much lower price and they still make money [and Corsair loves money no less then Samsung, not a discount brand], it only means Samsung is stuck in the old days of SSD pricing and trying to fish their fanboys to autobuy.
    Of course its the product is not trash, there are much worse SSDs, the price is 100% trash and versus MP510 2Tb it kind of meh SSD 3120TBW is no joke, EVO is no longer the king.
    Last year MP510 also gave a fight to Evo 970 [non plus]

2. Terrible

Terrible New Member

GPU:
    Chaintech Geforce FX5200 128Mb DDR
    Disabling the write cache doesn't guarantee that you don't loose data in some models unfortunately, thats why data integrity and durability is something that has value in being tested, at least to know if disabling the write cache guarantees not loosing data.

Also, whats the speed when you disable the write cache?

Yes, I have an UPS, but still you can loose power, just to give some examples:
    - you leave your computer, the power goes off and the battery drains out (yeah, I know there are ways to automatically do a graceful shutdown, but is not always possible and not always guaranteed to be successful).

- the computer hangs so you have to push the power button for 5s to force a shutdown, that will cut the power to the SSD, granted, it should have emptied its write cache by the time you do that... but still... who knows for sure?

- the PSU overheats or fails and cuts the power.

- you or somebody else is cleaning or the cat is bored and the cord gets unplugged.

- the battery of your UPS is wasted and doesn't provide the required power.

- and probably some other strange things that can happen that just cut the power suddenly...

So we had good and reliable hard disks for some time (we had also unreliable hard disks but thats a long long time ago...) and now we have fast but very unreliable solid state drives but nobody cares about how much unreliable they are and if they have a workaround to make them reliable, how much speed do you loose in exchange...

Is a bit frustrating.

I am being constructive and just giving an opinion about something that I think is valued for some people and unknown for a lot of others, many people just think that SSDs are reliable but they aren't (unless you buy an expensive data center oriented one).

If people start reviewing this, there would be an incentive from manufacturers to improve the situation and we as consumers win.

Thanks a lot for your opinions and suggestions guys!!!