Review: Ryzen 9 7950X processor (with ASRock X670E Taichi motherboard)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Well, looks like my prediction came true about heat for this generation... and someone said I was speaking nonsense before....

2. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.6Ghz
    Im not sure heat or power draw is the main driver for decisions, most hardcore peeps use H20 anyways, its just that the new 7**** off little to no uplift over a current gen 5800x3d.
    Why invest in a new MOBOI/RAM and CPU/WC Block (£1500 - £2000) if you end up with the same or possibly lesser performance than you can get from current 5800x3d (£450)

3. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hi @Valken,

4k gaming on OLED is phenomenal. You will absolutely love it. I've gamed on the LGC8, C9, CX, C1 and now the Samsung S95B. No regrets whatsoever.

There are few games that give my system a challenge at 4k max settings. Cyberpunk, Icarus and Sword and Fairy 7 are tough to run with max Raytacing/settings. I wonder about Unreal Engine 5. I've read Metro Exodus is tough maxed out also. I'm looking forward to the 4090.

You made an awesome argument regarding the AMD platform. 5800XD for now and a 7X00XD for later? More to ponder fellow Guru.

4. Embra

Embra Maha Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil Rx6950 xt
    I look at the 7950x as being totally a productivity chip.. It's a monster at that.
    The 7900x would be a better choice for gaming $$wise.

If your totally a gamer.. I would wait for the 3D Vchips.

Intel's could be interesting too, but they are due early next year, and they will be just as "hot", if not more.

Maddness and TheDigitalJedi like this.

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    AMD Ryzen 7000 processor announcements (preview)

This was my prediction and from what I read before, Zen 4 was really Zen3 design ported to the new node with the only real changes made to the core config was increased cache and AVX512, even then, the AVX512 implementation is double pumped https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-zen4-avx512 (just like when AVX2 was first introduced on AMD) so it's not a fast implementation of it.

The rest of the Zen4 design is the new "northbridge" the IOD, new memory subsystem, integrated graphics etc

I actually see Zen4 much like Zen2 - AMD getting familiar with the new node using a familiar design and throwing power at it whilst setting up a new environment ready for their real next gen update Zen4X3D and/or Zen5

6. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    For everybody saying that this is not the BEST CPU for gaming AMD begs to differ:

[​IMG]

TheDigitalJedi, Solfaur and tunejunky like this.
  7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.6Ghz
    Interpretation of the wording.
    It probably is the best CPU for gaming AND Creating.

cucaulay malkin and tunejunky like this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070

congratulations on pulling the trigger. even bigger congrats for being able to buy 4090 @ retail :cool:...unlike a few years ago.

my two cents on your wonderful dilemma...
    avoid AL like the plague as it's outmoded with no upgrade path. RL has a limited upgrade path too, but is much better than AL. you will still have issues with gaming (the scheduler) as this is also a hybrid design.

if you're open to it i would recommend buying a placeholder that will still allow the 4090 to shine...the 7700X.
    you can sell the 7700X for any of the 3D cache models - if you feel you still need an upgrade for the 4090. the main advantage is the upgrade path of the AM 5 socket.
    with the AM 5 socket you know you have a solid upgrade for years to come unlike Intel.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070

pretty simple actually
    you need a drill to put in a standard sized tube (your choice as to diameter but stick to the commonly available w/c ones), some silicone sealant, a cheap Chinese or Korean mini- fridge, sheet copper and you can jerry-rig the bending tools for the sheet (i.e. a clamped 2x4 etc) so it will fit in the freezer section and if you don't care about it looking pretty (it won't be seen) just using solder you can seal the corners and top. i chose the side panel of the fridge to drill into so i can still open and close/ use for beer/ red bull. to save space i used 90 deg. fittings i tapped into the copper box (which fills the freezer section) and use soft tubing to go around (the inside) from the entry point to the front of the freezer section with the freezer door removed.

i'm also using a signaling trigger (from audio signal) to turn the fridge on/off with the pc so no frozen liquid @ start-up. but you can just use a power strip if need be.
    you can also mount the pump inside the fridge if you're space constrained in the PC case.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    pegasus1 likes this.
  10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.6Ghz
    @tunejunky if i was still living in the Uk i would just buy a proper PC one but not so easy now.

tunejunky likes this.

11. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
  12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I want to see Nizzan OC or lower the CL out of the RAM kits his has!

13. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hey @tunejunky,

Man it is so nice to have a Silicon Valley connect. Thanks dude. You're always helpful in the forums. It's 12:50 p.m. here in Michigan and I'm on my way to Madison Heights. :D (Microcenter) I have to admit something. I haven't worked with an AMD chipset in a looooong time and it wasn't for gaming. I've been gaming with Intel since the 90s. For me personally, Intel was just my go to processor because I grew up personally and professionally with them. Then along came Ryzen which caught my full attention. The Ryzen processors are extremely impressive and took the lead from Intel multiple times.

The 13900k and 4090 combo is where I was initially. From the articles and overseas benchmarks it seems like this would be the most powerful combo. Will the 13900k bring more performance out of the 4090? Will it be about the same as the 7950x? Is the longer bootup time with AMD really a big deal? Does the scheduler really affect games that much with Raptor Lake? What deep issues are people having? If I go AMD will I have any compatibility issues?

I could put an end to all this overthinking and come home with everything from AMD today, slap my 3090 in there and patiently wait for my 4090. The upgrade path makes sense. AM5 looks promising. I know I asked alot of questions. Deep down, I truly just want to build the most powerful system and be done with it. Lol!:D

I'm about to leave out now. I'll be there on 30 minutes.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hi @nizzen,

Are you installing your new hardware today? Congrats man! :)

tunejunky likes this.
  15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070
    you will still be a gaming god with either road. and the Intel 13900k will definitely last the life of a gaming rig. the only quibble isn't for you, cuz Michigan. but the difference in power/heat is considerable for our friends especially in eastern Europe who are paying through the nose for both power and in winter, heat.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070
    hey Nizzen - let me know what you think of the Crosshair Hero it's on my shortlist

Maddness likes this.
  17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I wouldn't delid a 7900X/7950X but i might try lap it down to a much thinner condition and then maybe AM4 coolers would fit? not sure though.

I would probably only do it once the warranty has finished or on a second hand chip.

18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    only makes me more assured that cpus like 12400 are way underrated
    85% of performance at 36% power vs 7950x
    99% performance at 40% power vs 5950x (w. better 1%)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.6Ghz
    True but what also needs to be factored in is initial cost versus longevity.
    If a top end but more costly item last three generations
    Maybe a less powerful but cheaper item only lasts two generations.
    So a third more upgrades which invariably requires other new component due to upgrade incompatibility.

TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    still very compelling
    12400f+b660 ddr4 board are 300eur altogether.
    5950x and 7950x are 530/830 alone,require better boards and cooling too so add the cost of that.
    of course they're not the same segment but for a home/gaming pc they make zero sense even with the said longevity, basic 14th gen i5 will probably beat both in gaming and still remain reasonably priced so I'd rather save bigly now and upgrade again,even if that requires getting another 130e b860 board and selling the b660.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022