Review: Ryzen 9 7950X processor (with ASRock X670E Taichi motherboard)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Review: Ryzen 9 7950X with ASRock X670E Taichi motherboard

The year is 2022, and the Ryzen iteration ZEN4 has arrived. in this review, we test and benchmark the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X. Loaded with 16 CPU cores on that updated processor architecture and an entirely new platform that supports PCIe Gen 5, DDR5, and a processor that's easily passing 5 GHz. We'll test this processor with the ASRock X670E Taichi motherboard.

Read the review here.

URL: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-review,1.html

2. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well, looks like I can comfortably sit this one out, as expected. Better save my money for a GPU.

3. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    100% agree , skip cpu and buy gpu for this year ...

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Will get interesting when the X3D refresh launches, until then... meh.

Maddness, Picolete, chispy and 4 others like this.

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I just read the TPU reviews as well and I am waiting on X3D model before buying.

Price vs Performance the 12600K or 12400F OC'ed is a better value even at 4K for gaming. Can spend more money on the GPU.

bobnewels, Solfaur and tty8k like this.
  6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh 4K gaming will only be with GPUs so I am also happy with 5900x with my 32:9 display. GPU maybe just maybe

Fediuld and Valken like this.
  7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Perfectly happy with my 12700K I got last year. Don't see myself upgrading CPU any time soon. Although it will be interesting to see how Ryzen 7000 compares vs Intel 13000.

Wow I just noticed 91.5 C with AIO cooler. So rumors were true.

Why_Me likes this.
  8. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    So, what I get from this article concerning gaming, is you just need a 5800X3D and a top tier gpu. Will the 4090 and 7950 be able to stretch their fps legs even more? Or will it still be just the 5800X3D and 4090? [​IMG]

Maddness, Kaarme and Valken like this.
  9. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Def keeping my 5800X3D and cheap second hand 3090 combo now. Zero reason for new ram, mobo, cpu, waterblock etc

chispy, Fediuld, Kaarme and 1 other person like this.
  10. GlassGR

GlassGR Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD rx 6650
    i believe this was the chance intel waited for.

Why_Me likes this.
  11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I might just replace my 3800x with a 5800xd and drop in another 32gb of RAM, my 6900xt is good enough for now if the 7900xt isn't spectacular.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.

12. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Considering everything we've gleamed I'd seriously consider waiting for the 3D cache versions (probably the "missing" 7800 SKU) and/or Intel's Meteor Lake. 13K will probably just match these, or slightly improve on them, but certainly not enough to warrant an upgrade. Unless you really need an upgrade, but then I'd just get the 12700K tbh, it's still the best all rounder.

13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Get the MSI Mortar MAX WIFI DDR4 if you will NOT get a K CPU. It will allow you to OC the bclock on the F model CPU.

The Z model MB will work with K model cpus to OC.

Plus the Z MB and K CPU will allow mem voltage OC so its a toss up. FAST DDR4 DOES matter to max performance so just saying if its within 50 USD/Euros to a K model, I would get a K model.

tty8k likes this.
  14. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Great article and some golden words:" AMD did an Intel this time"....I will keep my trusty 5950X for at least one more step until LNC will become the norm for everyday use.

This year winter IS NOT coming because we have RTX 4090, AND RYZEN 7950X and possibly AMD RDNA 3????

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Fediuld likes this.
  15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Are we looking at the same charts here? This is a major leap in productivity workloads; far faster than I expected. Obviously gaming performance isn't going to be of any interest - why would it be? A 12400 is barely any slower while being more than 3x cheaper. I don't get how often you people need to be told that CPUs hardly matter for gaming anymore.

However... that power draw.... that's unappealing for a stock configuration. The 7700X seems be a lot more sensible.

Airbud, AlmondMan, fredgml7 and 2 others like this.
  16. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I think the MAJORITY of us here are GAMER and Enthusiast first so we look at gaming performance.

Some of us WFH or run businesses so yeh, in those instances, the 7900 + 7950 kicks total ass all over the place for workstation type uses.

But for us gamers who are still looking at crazy 500+ USD entry level GPU, we gotta save every $ or Euro (not worthless crypto) to balance the budget.

Insane times requires insane sacrifices such as 12400F class CPU + $800 GPUs to justify purchases.

17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    3800x and 32gb
    to
    5800x3d and 64gb
    for
    £650
    A 7900x is £600 on its own, then a 670E plus DDR5 and maybe even a new CPU block.
    Think il stick with a current gen upgrade.

18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Very true!

I got a company laptop and IF I need MOAR power, I run a secured VMWare session with VPN back to the company on my faster desktop.

Go Guru GAMERS! :D

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Zen3D might improve gaming performance in a meaningful way, I don't think RPL might change it much.

So far, anyone with Ryzen 5000 or Alder Lake don't really need to upgrade to any new gen for now.

barbacot likes this.
  20. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Awesome review,I understand now why the prices on the 7950X was lower by $100 dollars over the 5950X. For me the AMD lineup this time is not even a thought. I really like AMD CPU's and have bought around 8-10 of them for my personal PC Gaming rig,this time AMD no buy.Come on GPU's be better.

21. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    But that's my point... what miracles were you all expecting? This generation is more expensive and the vast majority of games aren't CPU bound anymore. Even before this CPU was officially announced, I would have told you it'd be a poor choice for gamers. With V-cache, it would be better but still a poor value proposition for gamers.

Expecting Ryzen 7000 to be worth upgrading to for maximum FPS in gaming would be like upgrading from a Tesla Model 3 to a Porche Taycan and expecting your everyday commute to work to go by faster. It's just not going to happen, so why even consider it? But suppose you're one of the few people who plays CPU-bottlenecked games - you're either better off with Intel or waiting for the V-cache models. So I just really don't get why anybody here is underwhelmed about something that was bound to be underwhelming. What next - you step in a puddle and get irritated that your foot is wet?

Or y'know, just look at the graphs in this article... It would take you less time to do that than it would take for you to write your comment.

AlmondMan, Ivrogne and yasamoka like this.