Review: Ryzen 7 7700X processor (with ASUS X670E HERO motherboard)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Gaming performance is what the vast majority buying these kinda products care about though.

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT

AM4 will live almost forever.

Valken and Freeman like this.
  3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I mean guys, for how long will the 5800x or 5800xed or 5700x be fast? For as long as the 7700x does.
    The day the 5800x can't do 60fps, the 7700x can't either.

schmidtbag and cucaulay malkin like this.
  4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I checked few reviews , there are some big differences . I wonder where is the difference . In some reviews AMD does much better. ( for example Igors).

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    720p, very light games, is where it shines.
    check 1080p and really cpu intensive scenes and it will plummet to 12600k ddr4 levels.
    must be cache related, same happened to r5000 to some degree, it did best at 720p in some very light competitive games,while 1080p cpu heavy open world games it wasn't as good.
    https://www.purepc.pl/test-procesor...szy-porownanie-w-grach-i-programach?page=0,53
    https://www.purepc.pl/test-procesor...szy-porownanie-w-grach-i-programach?page=0,58

to put it simple, it will do best in games that will run on potato cpus anyway, but in really cpu heavy games, it will do just okay.not bad, but not as great either. look how in cp2077 it's down to 12400 ddr4 level, even though in igor's test it's like 30% faster at 720p in games where 12400f does +200fps.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Small sample size. Even HU did 12 games only. It's always the case with gaming part of CPU reviews the result vary when they are using 10 games or less. I'd wait for the 40 games benchmarks before coming to any conclusion about games.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    That would really be a shame if that was true, neglecting performance results. It's a big purchase, so I would hope people would put some effort in research of what they are buying.
    I mean different games, different results. I have read some reviews where the 7700x is faster. And the fact that it could use chipset updates to further improve performance.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well most people who has gaming pc's just use it for gaming. Sure some use it for productivity, but it's a minority. Otherwise it's gaming, browsing and at most some office apps for homework.

And that being the case, people should absolutely go for the best gaming cpu that fits their setup and budget, rather than looking at which is faster in cinebench, or the likes of it, which aint ever gonna be relevant for them, unless they are a part of the minority that uses their pc for productivity.

Due to those reasons, i'd absolutely get a 5800x3d if i was already on the am4 platform, rather than spending alot more to get on the am5 platform with a chip that is slower for gaming.

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Also different results here at 1080p. (Here Intel and AMD very close).

Maybe GPU used ?
    [​IMG]

10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    The priority should be applications you really need to run fast in real time,for most productivity software you dont.

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    No,zen3 was the same way,720p light games its smashes everything,higher resolutions on heavy CPU single players its meh.intel is the exact opposite,the heavier on the CPU the game is,the better it does relative to amd.see how at 1080p 12400 is almost the same as 7700x

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I agree - there are some, but if you use such software, you will know... and then you wouldn't be looking at the 7700x, but rather 7950x. The 7700x only really makes sense for gaming, except that it's slower than the previous gen 5800x3d for gaming.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    True most gamers do not want or are unable to spend money on a upgrade. they will probably will not get a 5800x3d either though. its too expensive. they are not enthusiasts after all.
    Anandtech compare the 7700x with the regular 5800x though which makes more sense to compare.
    I see the am5 platform more as future proof , the speed will get there. maybe not with this chip, but with the 3d variant which hopefully gets announced at CES. (or at least rumours lol).
    So then its nice to compare the 7700x3d to the 5800x3d which seems more fair.

14. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    What the article doesn't say is that there is a way to make the cpu a 65w tdp one, you keep most of the performance (losing a few percentage at best apparently) but it gives you a cooler cpu and greatly enhance the efficiency.
    AMD should enable the feature in Ryzen Master "soon". I saw a french review where they did the manual step AMD gave them to compare "old" and "new" TDP. And the difference in performance is not enough to sacrifice the efficiency.

Anyway, there is no game that is so CPU limited that you can't play it over 100 fps as long as you have the GPU. So yeah, waiting these CPU to greatly enhance the framerate is pointless. Don't expect much from raptor lake, the CPU aren't making the difference unless you wanna benchmark at 1080p. But enthusiast (which are the target here) are not really playing at that low resolution, are they ?
    Anyway, it's a good batch of new CPU. The jump between Zen 3 & 4 is still way more than what intel did before AMD shake them up. The only blame is not to default the CPUs at the "efficiency TDP" and leaving the "higher TDP" for the ones that are after overclocking to the last Mhz.

Picolete likes this.
  15. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    Speaking for myself, as a punter who enjoys stutter free gaming, I think it would be a good idea to show minimum frame rates and this would help me make a quality CPU choice whereby I should be able to avoid stuttering in a game. :)

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So after reading the review, i`m having mixed feelings about this CPU.

It`s fast, very fast, but not much faster than Intel`s offerings, specially in gaming. I was expecting a little better.

Then we have the thermals, unfortunately AMD decided to copy Intel, going after maximum performance at any cost, resulting in an extremely high temps and power consumption.

And the fact that AMD set the CPUs to operate at 95 degrees to extract some more performance, is a little scary, at least for me.

In the end, i don`t see a CPU good enough to warrant a new system, specially if it costs around 1.000€ and if i still need to buy a liquid cooler...

Great review as always Hilbert!

Hilbert, do you think you could investigate a little about Pluton, that some say is a backdoor pretending to be a security device???

Maddness and mackintosh like this.
  17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Looks like even a 7600X upgrade is gonna set you back atleast $1000.

R.I.P. AMD for throwing budget out the window.

18. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    It is not a upgrade, you have to change all the main components. Welcome to AM5 ? The upgrade will be Zen 5 & 6.

19. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I have been waiting for this review! 5800X3d and new AIO were just ordered and should be here soon. I was pretty much set on that anyways, but this article definitely helped the confidence of my decision. Left the door wide open for Intel in the gaming department this gen and I bet they'll push the 7000X3D versions out right when Intel launches RL.

Embra, Maddness, Valken and 1 other person like this.
  20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If you keep GPU, SSD, HDD, Case, PSU you're still upgrading part of your PC by replacing CPU, Memory and Motherboard.