Review: Ryzen 7 1700 processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    That's what am saying...hold off buying till we know more.

Yet everyone here seems to be jumping for joy because there is something new.

2. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti FE
    Are you all sure that TDP includes turbo values :)

Oh wait, it doesn't

;)

"Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements."

3. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You speak of gaming performance. For which that statement is correct. Different games... bla bla bla... give and take... no biggie...
    And of course the 7700k performing better at resolutions 1080p and lower. -> Forget about it! Undisputed. Agreed upon.

But lets include (in our focus of one very specific use case) all the other performance cases that make use of any number of cores effectively (for which people who wanted a highly performant CPU had/have to resort to paying ONE THOUSAND dollars for a 6900K). Here the 7700K does by far not perform as well as the Ryzen 7 or, respectively, the 6900K.

So in multithreaded workloads the 7700K loses straight against the 6900K and the Ryzen. And there is no 1080p or 720p to help him out anymore.

If you should reconsider and like some details though, it's what PRMinister linked about compiling optimizations. (Done by developers not users. Just in case you are unsure about that.)

I don't see anyone insulting you. We're all trying to legitimately discuss the topic. Some like to dig deeper into technical details, others don't. No big deal.
    ng we are coming back fore "more" (of what?)
    This is a thread about the Ryzen 1700... so of course people come here to talk about it. Why would you want to stop people talking about a CPU review and also more in-depth analyisis in a thread that was specificall made for that?

Hilbert didn't try to end this thread. I think he is more concerned with the tone of talking.
    But as I said. Nobody forces you to talk here, if you don't like the topic.
    If others like to talk about the implications of improved compilers and OS kernels. Why not let them?

Either jump into the details with us, or let us talk about it without you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    That's a decent enough argument. Why did it take you so long to say this?

But that's the thing my Argument that gaming is more important always wins because that's the bigger segment. In terms of bucks.

And also you are going to have to list me specific software and the difference in terms of performance for me to believe you.

Otherwise I can say oh well it's perhaps 20 secs who the feck cares? And that's where again you will come unstuck..

Because again this can be classified as "niche" therefore not a real game-changer.

Sheesh will you not get it?:bang:

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Guys, are you still feeding the troll? Put him on ignore, it's on your control panel. You'll appreciate it, i guarantee it.

P.S. mods, how is this guy not banned/put in timeout yet? he's picking fights with everyone and very, very clearly trolling to bring it out of people. Every single AMD Ryzen thread i have been to this guy has been here stirring up complete nonsense.

That, or he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about, can't understand what this CPU is, and is instead claiming he knows everything, and picking fights with people because he is wrong, which is equally bad.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Did you read the Wikipedia link? You understand it was a "dictionary" link, right? There is not dispute about what LLVM is. Insisting on this seriously shows you have no clue how your machine works.

What about the rest of the links? If the Wikipedia link was wrong, why is Microsoft porting .NET and the DirectX shading language to it? If Wikipedia wasn't wrong, how do you explain the original article posted that shows Zen gaining 5-10% performance on average just with a compiler switch and zero optimization?

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I don't like safe spaces. I'd rather walk with the troll.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know what it means INTEL dont even exaggerate that much about there chips.

There 8c/16t is said to be 140 TDP it is around 165 TDP full load which like 20 TDP diffrence AMD claims 95TDP on 1700x 1800x but is more like 145 TDP and there 1700 is claims to be 65TDP but more like 125 TDP. AMD lying threw there teeth compared to INTEL claims on TDP.

TO me if 95TDP claims were true or just bit I would been amazed atlest on Multi thread/core performance to me STP is let down still though.

9. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're basically right. :) But isn't it sad, because we could instead try to help him?

Well in any case. You having him on your ignore list and on your friends list seems bizarre enough :nerd:

It's ok.

I just think he doesn't care enough about all of this. It's hard to find common ground between people who are deeply rooted in the IT through their job and others who happen to are hobbyist gamers (be it enthusiast or not) and just buy what most people say is best, without actually having a passion about finding out why that is.
    Which makes it hard to understand for some, why AMD is mostly a very future proof investment. Because how the hell should people estimate the impact of software optimizations over time, when they just don't care about them to begin with.

For example I like wine, but I don't know anything about all the theory behind it (degustation etc.) and I don't care as long as it taste fine and doesn't provide a headache the next day.
    And pretending to be a conaisseur of wines... like many people do in restaurants in front of others... thats just plain awkward. I'm not like that.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Without dissenting opinions, life would be boring. The actual arguing is half the fun.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ^ lol

I just don't think it's helping him, he's not even trying to listen to what we are saying.

....what?

(checks friends list)

When the hell did i put him in my friends list? for being an "old timer" i don't even remember his name. In fact though, when did ANYONE get put in my friends list?....this must have been 10+ years ago, haha.

All better, everyone is deleted now.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Same could be said of you. And I am not the one with Amd in my sig...

And the mods have all the necessary threads they can see who did the flaming etc.

I might and probably should take a warning because yeah I reacted but I have just argued my point.

Although perhaps I shouldnt have said someone was smoking too much weed.

But i think I put forward a different way of thinking and it was attacked and then well you cant blame me for reacting. (given that I am pretty much bang on).

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    What? Do not believe such a point can be achieved.

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    :supercool: oh man you got me there.

And you found my Achilles heel haha..

You imagine what weed does to my brain...it's not nice...it's like telling a cpu to suddenly go from turbo to around 1ghz..

It's a nightmare!

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Unless the CPU is the Athlon Thunderbird :D

Your posts in general are a bit...

[​IMG]

:D:nerd:

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Whatever floats your boat cap'n!

Seems you have a penchant for vileness. Sums you up.

p.s should have noticed "quadrobrake" in your sig...you probably need it to get rid of all the hot guff. Or perhaps blow dry your buffon?

Arent you Zerocool? I have an inkling you are...(mmm Croat I think).

17. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I'm at 4K (and loving it). :)

I do some modding for the fun of it and that can definitely benefit from Ryzen, but it works quite well for Gaming at 4K 60 Hz too. :nerd:

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Croatoan

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    You just got banned. Again what the 4th time now?

I knew it was you. Why on earth didnt you think hey it's Mitzi76 and try and hide?

Even after years of not posting I will detect things...if anything I am most likely the only person to figure it out.

Bad choice. (still took me less than a day or so I am amazed you got to 6000k you must have seen me reposting and thought "he wont remember").

Never underestimate a true "delaci".

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Oh nice! I'm curious about your mobo! Impressions?