Review: Ryzen 7 1700 processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In the end it is the same processor yet say a 1800X is binned for better XFR, frequency and voltage ranges. Once tweaked they all consume roughly the same amount of juice. Sure, it might differ 10 maybe 20 watts here and there but that's it.

In my honest opinion, the Ryzen 7 1700 is the best AMD processor value money wise you can get. Give it a proper cooler, clock it at 4.0 GHz or something close to that and never look back. All you need to do is change the multiplier and the motherboards do the rest.

I am making one disclaimer here though, my tweaking results can differ with yours. Yes there will be samples that do not reach 4.0 GHz (albeit I doubt it), but there will also be samples that will go higher. That 4.0 GHz should be a pretty safe estimation for generic tweak results though.

2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Why? Because overall it's a much more powerful CPU than a 7700k? And priced the same?

I dunno what you want more than that... it's a different arcitecture to Intel - the OC'ing is different, I don't know what your point is with the 5ghz vs 4ghz. Intel's will cook at that OC and require more cooling to keep it quiet.

In the end I doubt that we'll see anything but performance increases over time, as we've seen with the FX series in a lot of titles when you get more powerful GPUs.

Doesn't really matter though, it's a great CPU, more alround powerful than Intels offering. But nothing groundbreaking on a gaming level to justify upgrading anything midrange, like an i5, purchased in the past 5 years. Which is sad, sure, but nothing terrible.

The 7700k, 7600k, R7 1700 aren't "mainstream casual" CPUs, they're highend tech for enthusiast level consumers and professional content creation.

3. ViRGE

ViRGE Guest

Thx for the info! I don't want another quad core, so R7 1700 will be my choice, I will play safe and go for an 3.9Ghz overclock and stuck with it, now I need a good mATX board, I am looking after the Asrock AB350M Pro4, its the only mATX I have seen so far that that have more than 6 phases and heatsinks on all vrms, guys any suggestions?
    :nerd:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    CPU-bound game performance has a simple answer...game-engine and game optimization by developers. Game-engines and games are optimized far differently than benchmarks, which are mainly optimized around compilers, which was relatively easy for AMD to achieve. As everyone knows, there is a vast difference between game code and synthetic benchmarks. It will take time for the game-code to become optimized for Ryzen as the current Intel-optimization by developers is as mature as it is ever going to be until Intel moves to a new architecture. Ryzen is a new architecture but most existent games have been optimized for the Intel architectures--which has to be done by developers, so it isn't as immediate as we saw with the synthetic benchmarks. Not much of a mystery, really--same thing happened with the original Athlon years ago. Watch for "cpu-bound" game code to drastically improve on Ryzen as the cpu begins to proliferate the markets and developers begin optimizing for it.

5. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    .... sheesh, I really don't understand the ones bashing these procs. A CPU is designed for a lot more than gaming. Yet the lower FPS issues are not apparent above 1080p, and on top of that 10-15 frames makes no difference above 60fps to the naked eye.

For a $329 processor to beat a $1000 6900k and in some cases beat a $1500 6950x.. Please tell me how its not a good deal? Have you ever done more tasks while gaming? Ever streamed your games for the world to see at or over 1080p? Go try that out on your i7 7700k and compare the two, I can guarantee you, more cores will win the bet.

I just think its silly to think this processor is no good, cause of 1080p performance difference in games.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Finally the review of the 1700! As expected the 1700 is the best cpu of the 3 released so far. It´s much cheaper and overclocks like the others, making them useless, just like Intel´s X99 cpus!... This thing is a steal!!! So good i´m still considering it for my new rig but the only demanding stuff i do with my system is gaming so i think maybe i´ll settle for a nice 7600K and save some money...

Now all we need is some X370 motherboards reviews and an article comparing Ryzen´s performance under W10 against W7. Do it Hilbert! And don´t give me the " i need sleep" excuse....:devil:

Great review as always!

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Ok am done with these type of comments.

If you can prove that it's "more powerfull" than intels offering then please do so with example or please take your crap elsewhere.

Plus again as you and others cant read the 7700k and the 1700 are priced the same here in the UK...so please enlighten me how buying AMD is the better choice?

Am not bashing the cpu just the price! (really some of you seem to have reading issues, maybe it's something from Brexit and the trump election. More schoolin and less reddit/Hollyoaks/Eastenders :) )

I need to put a disclaimer in my sig

"I have nothing against the AMD cpus just their current pricing"

8. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Maybe...Because it is an 8 core CPU that handles a lot of non gaming tasks much better?
    Making it a good all around processor at a much cheaper price than intels comparable processors? The $1,500 intel chip doesn't perform as well as the 7700k in games neither, but for some reason you aren't bashing that one?

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m sorry mitzi but i don´t understand your problems with AMDs prices. Just look at the 1700, it costs 365€ (in Portugal) and it performs as as good as the 6900K, that costs 3 times more!!! What more do you want??? A liquid cooler? A free Vega GPU to go with it? Or maybe you want a free blowjob at the brothel of your choice?...

C´mon, you can complain about Ryzen in several aspectes but not when it comes to prices unless you want the cpus for free...

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    He wants it at $269, with a promise of a free motherboard.

11. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    Some people can't be taken too serious :giggle2:

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    It performs as well as a 7700k! Why bring the 6900k into the argument...

Who said it doesnt? Show me/explain to me how the 1700 is more powerfull than a 7700k and I will agree....otherwsie SFTU! (and yeah am no longer going to be nice to anyone. I have asked for reasons several times and all you do is respond by rudely trolling my posts).

If I was confused or misguided instead of trying to explain why it is am wrong you just say am wrong and want free blowjobs? That's really polite.

All you do is compare it against a £1000 CPU in order to make it look better. Pathetic really.

Or cant you understand the English? I can get someone to translate into portuguese or write this in Spanish or French if you need.

But carry on with the insults etc I have had it all before, nothing new and so far never lost an argument on here. (check my posting history). So I like a challenge!

13. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    It blows the 7700K in pretty much everything else than gaming (at least for now), even the 6900K most of the times.. which costs 1K$. Dem logics. :cyclone:

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Really how? Mr.Logic man..am all ears...

oh wait before u start saying ok it beats it in cinebench etc let me stop you there. I aint interested in crap like this. You will need to do better.

Dem logics will get u in the end haha. (thats exactly how I argue).

15. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    The r7 1700 is everything I could have hoped for and a bit more. not the 1700X or 1800, the 1700. Objectively great gaming performance at modern resolutions and will eat everything else, and in the current market massively great value.

The complaints are very strange, it's a very real possibility that many people have grown up with AMD never having a competitive CPU, they've been somewhat behind for so long afterall, and the attitude of 'omg this cpu is more fps therefore is better' is so ingrained that it's ruining people's ability to make smart choices. It's not even fanboyism at this point, just habitual. Or perhaps I'm just one of the few people left who use their PC for a lot more than gaming, it's not a console afterall :p

16. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    A Ryzen 5 1600X 6c/12t then, or around there in price (excluding the motherboard of course)

Scan have the 1700 for £320 at the moment, just on the point of ordering one :)

17. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Asks where the 1700 beats the 7700k, gets answers, says oh I ain't interested in that. Well guess what the CPU ain't for you then, for those it is aimed at it's a bargain and a half.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What are you interested in, exactly? Because if you're in for gaming only, if your computer is just a game launcher, get your 7700k at 5GHz, clock it, and leave the Ryzen threads in peace, instead of telling to people to STFU.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    mitzi i´m sorry but you´re the one confused!... The Ryzen R7 parts are meant to compete against Intel LGA2011 platform!!! That´s why it´s been compared to those! And it does very well against them.
    Against the 7700K things are simple: the 7700K is much better in single threaded scencarios and the 1700 is much better in multi threaded ones! So the 1700 is as good as the 7700K, the choice depends on the need of the buyer more than the Ryzen being better or worse than 7700K.
    For example my case: i´m building a new rig and i´m considering a 1700 but since my system is mainly for gaming, i´ll probably go with a 7600K. But that doesn´t mean that Ryzen sucks...

BTW i wasn´t insulting you, i was just joking about the fact you want Ryzen to be even cheaper!... So cool down.

20. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    So you're still not convinced that the 1700 is much faster than the 7700K in multi tasking workloads? Really? And where have you been lately? This info/tests/reviews and all of the sort are all wide spread all over the internet.

Facepalm.