Review: Ryzen 7 1700 processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Three things.

1. The Maximus Hero is the lowest end Maximus board from ASUS at $225 not really a stretch for most users. In fact is one of the most popular motherboards for KL.

2. That is 1.376V or less.

3. Those are fairly tight timings for DDR4 and highest speed officially supported by KL.

Side note where do you see them say it's only one DIMM not two?

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Running Maximus IX here, it's a great board. I paid £239 for it and it offers everything I'll need from a board for years to come. My 7700k hits 5ghz on 1.318v.
    What trade offs? I'm running 5ghz at 1.318v, 2 sticks of DDR4 3200mhz (running xmp). A LOT of people hit 5ghz on 7700k with 3200mhz ram. No problem. And a LOT of them don't need anywhere near 1.4v.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    ad 1) It is still very good board
    ad 2) it is still 10% Voltage bump
    ad 3) for DDR4-2400MHz it is fairly average timing... there are DDR4-3000MHz with 15-15-15-36 timings, those I would call "fairly tight"

ad Side note) Challenge yourself and find out how they mark it, it takes like 2 clicks to notice if you are lucky.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yes, it is a very good board. But I could have bought a plethora of very good boards for around £50 cheaper. Yes it is a 10% voltage bump, and? I miss your point. I can run 4.9ghz at 1.258v if that makes you happier? What's wrong with a 10% voltage bump?

Still, 1.318 is not even close to your claimed "nearly 1.4v".

If you want to talk about trade offs, talk about Ryzen. Most people max out on 3.9ghz, some lucky ones get 4ghz. And many people can't even get their ram to run at more than 2133mhz. I know you'll come back with "oh it's a new platform, it's being worked on".

Yeah yeah, same old. How about release a product that doesn't have any of these major issues? And don't you be blaming board manufacturers because if I was running AMD, this would not happen. I would work closely with motherboard vendors to make sure there is no ridiculous issues like this. And I would also delay the launch because of that, for 2 weeks, month, however long it takes. This would also allow motherboard vendors to actually supply the market with a variety of boards.

Because to launch a CPU and only have the low end chipset boards readily available is a bad move.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Loophole35 used argument that 59% of 7700k-s hit 5GHz. And they may be right as they tested it on (as you stated) good board.
    But they tested it with one memory stick running at 2400MHz.

I really would not think that you would argue that mentioned 59% can reach 5GHz + same memory speeds as you do.
    Simply taken, having high clock creates stability issues. In most cases you have to find balance between memory and CPU ability to OC.
    Otherwise SL would show statistical information for some more complex and interesting memory.
    On this i can only say: "If you actually did read what I wrote here before, you would never wrote those things as they were false at time you posted them."

But hell, X99 had its issues with memory too. And in very similar way as Ryzen. Early Kaby adopters can share their stories of returning memory because system did not even post with them.
    Weeks ago I already expected many things...

Why do you think My Processor does not state Ryzen? Or 7700k?
    Chances that I'll get 7700k are close to 0. Chance that I'll get 6C/12T Ryzen is currently 10%, 8C/16T 20%. But not until I know all variables I need to know.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    1) Your point? You want them to achieve this on a $80 biostar board?!?!?!?! this is asinine.

2) Reading comprehension FFS 1.376V is the MAXIMUM.

3) 2400 is the MAXIMUM official speed

You are seriously just being an ass hat right now because you were proven wrong. Get over yourself.

And I must be too ****ing dumb to find the DIMM info mind pointing me to it oh wise one of the internet and all things.

7. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Dammit I am so conflicted. I have money ready to go for CPU, Cooler, RAM & MOBO but which one do I choose? 7700K, 6800K or 1700??

I mostly game but having 4 threads is really started to feel limiting. I don't really like relying on fake cores.

I know 7700K is best right now but i believe the 8 core consoles will start to force developers to change the single thread perf bias to multithread being king.. But Ryzen seems half baked in certain areas (like stability, mem speeds, CCX issues, poor OC).

I want to buy for the future and have my build last a similar amount of time to my 2500K but I can't decide if Ryzen is the wrong call for MY needs. At least the AM4 socket will stay the same for a few generations, adding to its value.. isn’t 1151 and x99 changing to new sockets soon?

1151 just looks like such a refined platform to use which will give me very little issues.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'd wait and see at this point. R5 may be a better option plus motherboard BIOS's and OS optimizations will be more mature by then. Also Intel may drop the 7800k by then so we may have something there. Any of the 3 listed CPU's would be a huge upgrade for you. The 1700 with is lower 1080p performance is still above our Sandybridge CPU's.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Pretty much same boat. But no not worry much about 1151/x99 EOL.
    use your own experience. You have Z68 chipset that means PCIe 3.0 potential, yet you never upgraded from Sandy to Ivy.

In few months Ryzen will have everything close to final state. And by then you will know if 6C/12T or 8C/16T delivers good enough value today and what you can expect in future.

By then maybe intel brings 6C/6T i5 or maybe 6C/12T chips in good price. Till there is that good thing you will consider as "keeper", do not waste your cash.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Regarding this 7700k fiasco, its basically the same as it was with 4770k vs 4790k.

At least 90% of 4790k stopped at 4.8ghz with reasonable volts same thing now , that delid thing is a moot point., useless for 99% of userbase. Plus it limits intel warranty - eliminates it.

Just saying.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Same here the difference it that i´m undecided between the 7600K, the 7700K and the 1700...
    To make thing worse i was planning to build my new rig in the weekend after this one and i had already ordered and payed a GTX1080 and some GSkill RAM 16Gb 3200Mhz in a very sweet deal when today they called and said they don´t have the parts and they don´t know when they will have them again.:bang:
    I´m so upset with this that i´m already thiking about postponing my new rig by a few weeks so i can decide better after the R5 parts have been released...

12. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    At least I'm not the only one feeling confused by this launch. Waiting sounds like a smart idea however apart from bios and mem stability, I'm not sure we'll see many short term gains from Zen. I think I will give it another week, maybe two to make a decision but I'm not waiting months. Though at the moment I am leaning towards something ending in a 'K'..

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AMD A10 7890k?

14. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    the looks to be at least 120 better than 7700k, hmmm..

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, there is another view. If you are 60 Hz gamer then Ryzen is OK now and in future.
    I am not confused about state it is in, I do understand things which hold it back and that some of them can be tweaked by user to reasonable level (CCX threading, STM ON/OFF via BIOS, CCX ON/OFF via OS/BIOS).
    I mainly dislike current bclk and multi behavior with memory and CCX. As those are things I can tweak only a bit and most of work has to be done by coders in AMD and MB manufacturers.

Then there is M$ scheduler which they claim is fine, but it is already apparent that it is not fine as it does not recognize CCXes and in some scenarios fails to even assign threads to idle CPU cores. (It has no problem to keep 2 heavy threads on same logical core.)
    It would be solved if Ryzen was considered as dual socket CPU. (2 CPUs where each has 4C/8T, then Windows would use it much more consistently.)

Like... since I want 4x16GB at decent clock I was planning 3000MHz memories for around $440. But 3000MHz is not working properly, so 3200MHz is next step and that comes at $670 here. Then there is timing and sub-timing (currently not configurable by users). And many memories which will simply not work.

In other words, there are many things which have to be tackled by someone other than myself and I go by experience. And as such I know that at time those things will be solved I'll get what I want 10~20% cheaper and will not have to spend dozens of hours by tweaking.

I even consider worst case scenario: Ryzen will not be good enough for me as M$ will ignore it and AMD will not improve on memory compatibility.
    Intel will not deliver 6C/12T in reasonable price.
    => And then I'll suffer till Zen+ core (2nd Ryzen generation).

16. Forkinator

Forkinator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Classified
    Good info

17. Relayer

Relayer Member

GPU:
    MSI RX3870 512
    Before Ryzen came out I don't recall anyone sayingthat you need a 7700K to play games. I don't recall anyone complaining about the 6900's gaming performance. Just the price. Now you can get virtually the same performance as a 6900 for 1/2, or less if you can O/C, and for some reason it sucks?

Is everyone really rocking 7700K's?

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    AMD more than delivered as far as I'm concerned. They surpassed what I thought would be the best case scenario. I (initially) expected ever so slightly higher clocks, but expected notably lower IPC and overall slightly lower performance than what was delivered... in a best case scenario.

Our Lord and Saviour Jim Keller pulled off a minor miracle. I guess people wanted a super miracle.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I dont care about gaming perf of 7700k or ryzen 1700. But am in all likelihood getting a 7700k for the overall solidity and maturity of the z270 platform. Dont want to be fiddling with bugs, bioses, memory issues or teething problems of ryzen or x370 boards.

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i haven't had any problems with the ryzen platform yet. Granted, i haven't gotten my memory to its rated speeds yet, only 2666, but realistically, i can wait for quite some time as that really hasn't been a problem for me, performance wise.

In terms of bugs, crashing, etc. I haven't had one issue yet.