1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 11, 2017.

1. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    Tell that for my old Phenom II X2 550 BE unlocked to quad-core and OCed to 3.4GHz running rock solid for years. Also Athlon II X3 450 in my daughters PC unlocked to iirc Phenom II X4 B50 and OCed to 3.36GHz with unlocked 6MB L3 cache (Deneb core) also running for few years without any problem or sign of degradation.

But like Hilbert just said guess this time those "extra" cores in Ryzen 1500X/1600X are probably laser cut and no way they can be unlocked by some future BIOS options or some other HW tricks. If I was at AMDs place this time I wouldn't risk selling dirty cheap hexa or quad core CPUs that could be unlocked to a bit more expensive octa-core, makes no sense this time, all CPUs in Ryzen lineup are already cheap enough including 1700/1700X/1800X models when you consider what kind of power they're bringing to the table.

2. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    i know the reason my old pII 720 x3 was locked for some reason when the 4th core is open the temprature reading of the cpu gets to 0 and since i am on a trip and have access to my old pc (it is now my brothers pc ) here you go this works like that 4 years now with 0 problems what so ever we just check the temprature from the socket sensor adding +5 to be safe ;)

here it is my ooold baby !
    [​IMG]

3. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    thanks for looking into it.
    Probably true, but lets hope it will go :D

4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    The problem when you call the 1080 GeForce processors the "fastest" is like so much else of note in relation to Ryzen. nVidia drivers have always been heavily optimized to be cpu dependent, imo, far more than AMD's (even going way back to 3dfx.) In this case, nVidia's GPU drivers are heavily optimized for Intel architectures, but this will change when AMD manages to get a Vega out of the door with drivers that are properly optimized for Ryzen (because nVidia will *have to* change it.) In the next couple of months--still waiting on a bit more maturity in the UEFI code and other microcode improvements--I'll be going with a 6-core Ryzen system. People must remember that when it comes to gaming, in particular, it took a decade or so for Intel architectures to become thoroughly understood by game/OS/GPU developers. I'm betting that Ryzen will get there in less than a year...!

I've said it before, but my opinion is that people in the market should buy Ryzen systems and plow the savings back into a better GPU & monitor--so that they don't *have* to game at 1920x1080...;) Ugh...;) I just handed my old my 1920x1200 Hanns-G to the wife and bought an AOC 2778VQE @ 2650x1440 and what an incredible difference! Those are both 27" monitors, but the dot pitch is so good on the AOC that the Hanns-G almost looks pixellated!...;) The color fidelity on the AOC is incredible, comparatively--noticeably better than many IP monitors I've used. What a nice surprise for $262 on Amazon...!

5. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    This made the Phenom II incredible value at the time, it was worth it. Often the turned off cores ended up good.

6. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    It really is insane how a 2500K holds up still to this day. And thank god it does because of the Win 10 bull****. I do wish Hil would have a 2500K around for testing. I mean, it's still a popular processor. but we can infer from some of the closer ones I guess.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    You are both right, the issue is Ryzen's architecture. If you take a single Ryzen core, increasing RAM speeds and therefore the Infinity Fabric speeds, doesn't matter. But if you consider the IPC of a two-CCX Ryzen CPU as a single entity, then RAM OC matters, as it is a big factor of inter-core communication, and hence multi-core IPC.

8. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    sorry to bother you again Hilbert, but i wondered, if you might be able to do a few benches with the one of the ryzen cpus, preferably 6 or 8 core with only 1 stick of ram and than try different speeds (2133, 2400, 2900, 3200, 3400), i am really wondering if the bandwidth is the limiting factor, or just the frequency. Im asking this, because DDR4 ram is really expensive right now, and i woudl prefer buying 1 16gb stick now, and buy another one when the price comes down, naturally if the performance isnt too impaired :)
    im sure this would be interesting for many others.

9. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Hilbert -So glad i read this review even though i got a 1700 up and running nicely. The part that interested myself was your bios setup with a giga board. The vt help med me understand more about mine, still confused slightly -

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=413945

10. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Just waiting another review with AGESA updated BIOS

11. BlueRay

BlueRay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    It gives ~1%-2% more performance across the board nothing more.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    1-2% is sometimes enough of a performance enhancement to completely close the gap between a similarly clocked i7. Ryzen seems to be completely littered with these very tiny performance improvements, but they add up. I'm sure by March 2018 (when there's probably nothing left to improve), comparing those results from the tests in March 2017 ought to show some substantial performance differences.

13. cvearl

cvearl Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RX 580
    Will you be fleshing out the gaming tests a bit more? Getting the i5 7600k into all of them?

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Since Intel does not supply CPUs for review anymore I wanted to purchase a 7600K for revirew purposes, but with the new procs around the corner, I figured I'd wait and see what the following gen will offer before spending more cash on what might be an obsolete CPU soon.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Really dick move by Intel not supplying reviewers with samples!!! They are only hurting themselfes with this stupid moves.