Review: Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Seems like a piece of hardware I will tell my friends to consider.

Ah well it seems I might go Vega route seeing nvidias issues with ryzen platform.

2. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    My Corsair kit CMK16M2B3200C16 (Hynix) was running on first BIOS @ 2933 only with weird timings 16-20-21-49-70. Try to set CL on 16 and other timings on auto.

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    HH is not very found of AdoredTV and I'd take what that youtuber says with a grain of salt. Never look in one place for info, always search all the different reviewers.

That said, in my research I've seen mixed results between Nvidia and AMD from various youtubers but I can certainly say for sure: Nvidia for certain pulls Ryzen back a little on DX12. Not to be surprised as their line up of cards is DX11 with a bad DX12 software patch on top. Only AMD has true hardware support for DX12 today.

In a month Ryzen improved from AMD patching bugs and saw performance gains. I'm sure in the next month or so you'll get that kit to 2666 or 3000.
    I understand it's frustrating to have spent the extra money for nothing.
    What are you running them on, CL15 2400?

The problem with that is fair comparisons, as games and software get updated results may vary.

4. Shadows

Shadows Guest

GPU:
    Gefore 210 1 gb
    I bought the 7600k about a month ago and it looks like me and a lot of other people were right about the R5s not going to be able to beat it in gaming. I have a 144hz monitor and overclocked to 4.8 Ghz and I am very satisfied with my 7600k. Maybe this will grab enough market share that developers see the audience with more than 4 cores are optimize their games with that in mind.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's funny you say that because Microsoft list Nvidia as supporting more DX12 features at the hardware level than AMD. We can all see from the real world however AMD gets a huge bump in performance. However from what I see looking at theoretical performance of GPU's DX12 seems to scale almost perfectly with SP32 performance (with variations here and there).

6. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Please Hilbert!

7. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800

I'm more surprised of the DX9 results than the DX12 ones

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I don't know what's going on, but I see Titan XP idling at 50% on Rise of the Tomb Raider on Valey in a benchmark from youtube...if the hardware supports DX12, then the software its crap.

Oh wait, that's why I ditched Nvidia for AMD: the drivers :banana:

I think everyone (from the press) is waiting on VEGA.
    Would be cool to see some tests with the new RX5xx though.

9. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Even so, it'd be nice to be able to see if there is indeed a reason why the benchmarks for gaming compared to the synthetics differ so much, if it is indeed an issue with nVidia's drivers or software implementation etc.

10. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yup.

I actually find this to be the most revealing view at it (adjust/align scale and *poof* :3eyes: ) :

[​IMG]

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Well we have seen issues with poor performance in some games solved not by driver changes but game updates. I would put more weight on game developers not having the game engin handle DX12 properly with Ryzen+NV. We know that Nvidia and AMD achieve DX12 compatiblity via different means. DX12 works fine with Intel so it may be that AMD should have spent a little more time with devs and give them deeper access to Ryzen ahead of time.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It doesn't mean the software is crap, it means it's not optimized for Ryzen.

I'm sick of people saying stuff is "bad" because it isn't instantaneously optimized for a brand new platform - the microsoft nonsense comes to mind. Nvidia has been optimizing it's software based scheduler on Intel, for what, 5 years? It's had two months to optimize for Ryzen - a completely new architecture and you expect parity across all titles/applications?

It probably takes two months just to profile the problem, let alone design a separate path for Ryzen and validate it across multiple generations of Nvidia hardware, on multiple OS's and Applications.

13. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    If this is the case, then we're definitely not showing a true representation of the performance. It's like going back to the days of the intel optimised compilers which screwed software implementations on AMD Athlon platforms back in the day. It would also mean that the software implementations are biased towards particular platforms and that these early benchmarks would essentially be useless or, rather, we're seeing benchmarks of Intel optimised code on AMD solutions.

14. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Hmmm I'm very close to upgrading to a 7700k new mobo ram ect..but these are kinda temping for the price.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't think Nvidia's driver problem is going to be long-lasting. I'm guessing it is lasting as long as it has because:
    1. AMD and Nvidia aren't exactly the best of friends. I don't see why AMD would go out of their way to make their competitor's hardware look good on their own products.
    2. Ryzen hasn't exactly been praised for it's gaming performance. Nvidia knows this, and they may be treating this driver situation as a low priority. What confuses me about this, though, is Nvidia seems to have more disdain for Intel than they do AMD (in regards of CPUs). In other words, it isn't within Nvidia's interest to distance themselves from the only 2 companies that supply x86 CPUs that can handle their GPUs.
    3. Ryzen was a bit rushed. AMD's top priority was to partner with motherboard and RAM manufacturers to get things working ASAP. Since AMD supplies their own GPUs, it was easy for them to optimize drivers for their own platform. It wouldn't really matter to AMD to get Nvidia's hardware to perform optimally, since it has very little to do with getting the CPU and chipsets functioning properly. All AMD needed Nvidia for was SLI support.

Regardless, as much as I dislike Nvidia as a company, I would not at all suggest people to avoid their products because they want a Ryzen CPU. I'm sure this performance issue will be fixed eventually, just as the RAM issue will be.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    And that's likely what we are seeing in games. It nothing nefarious or a coup against AMD. If it were anything like that AMD would be shouting from the rooftops that NV and big blue are purposely fudging the results. Instead they are trying to figure out how to solve the problem they likely already knew existed before launch. Remember they told reviewers not to test 1920x1080.

Had AMD held Ryzen's launch back three months and had everything ironed out it may have made sense. As stated games that have been updated for Ryzen are showing results lock step with Intel.

17. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    The 1600x looks like a nice cpu. The 1600 will be even better value at a slightly better price. I think this is the cpu AMD should have release first and release it after a few months of working with motherboard manufacturers, when all the RAM issues are ironed out and when we have more matured release motherboard efi.

Still, this is great for the market. AMD stirred things up and that can not be a bad thing.

18. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    7700k is better for gaming because it has higher IPC, higher frequency, and games take advantage of only 4 cores. AMD can't fix that but instead work with devs to help make more multithreaded game engines. That said, the difference in some games was probably inflated by Nvidia drivers.

That's why I'm sad at the press for just using Nvidia, as if 480 was completely irrelevant...just drop to 720p and Low settings and review RX480vs1060 for a fair comparison of software implementation.

In those graphs the RX480 beat the 1060...how!?

Good point, can't deny that possibility.

I understand time is needed for optimization, but the truth is that reviews showed a grim picture for Ryzen and that will influence people on their purchase choices.

Depends on your objectives:
    High fps count: 7700k
    Gaming, streaming and workflow: R7 all the way.

I don't see why not, with Volta :banana:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Can we please stop saying Ryzen has low IPC. It doesn't.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has good IPC it just doesn't clock high.

20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Using just one benchmark to illustrate your point isn't wise:
    [​IMG]
    Here you can clearly see IPC of i7 7700k is superior.
    Is it bad? No, it's on pair with a $1100 i7 6900k, for half the price.
    Don't get me wrong, I think Ryzen is the better CPU to buy today.