Review: Rise of the Tomb Raider: PC graphics card performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2016.

1. _RA_

_RA_ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX
    WTF!!!!!!!

Im on windows 7 though

2. frcento

frcento Member

GPU:
    560 SLI @ 1000MHz
    On the perfomance review says that it dont bottle neck with only one core of the i7 5960X... But in a Phenom II 940 all the CPUs go to 100% many times, like Soviet Instalation... Why this? Is one core of this CPU more powerfull than a entire old gen quad core?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    If a game is primarily single threaded then a more powerful processor will be faster than one with more cores, one of the reasons I believe why AMD has been trailing behind Intel lately in gaming even compared against lower-end CPU models.

DirectX 12 should help a bit but it's still up to the developers to properly code and program the game engine of course so D3D12 on it's own isn't a guaranteed performance boost over D3D11 or that's how I see it at least.
    (They have more control over the API under DX12 but it's also more complicated to code for, same with Vulkan and also the earlier Mantle API though these API's do also reduce the CPU overhead issue which is a particularly troubling issue with AMD GPU's.)

4. frcento

frcento Member

GPU:
    560 SLI @ 1000MHz
    Do you think that they will release a DX12 build soon for this game? It will affect SLI, you think? (I will be installing SLI soon) Also I will have to update to windows 10 :( I'm avoid this all this time..

100% screenshot on Soviet Installation entrance (on low settings)
    [​IMG]

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It can't be too far off if they plan to have something out before the game starts to age or they finish with their DLC plans so I don't think it's too far off unless there's some driver side issue between the developers and their partner (Nvidia) but I don't think there's any such problems though async compute has been said to be a bit so-so for Nvidia but that could have changed since last I heard about it. :)

For SLI I would expect it to work the same as it does currently for D3D11 (Please don't say it's not working at all or they're using the "single-sli" compatibility bit.) although D3D12 has a single-frame-rendering mode I think it was called that supposedly is allowing both GPU's to "combine" their VRAM pool into a single (double with two GPU's and so on.) amount but it's apparently also not without issues such as scaling and micro stuttering though I do not know the exact specifics on this.