Review: Resident Evil 7 : PC graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think the problem is that the picture isn't linked in the article. Most people are going to go to the article and not to the forum thread where they can see that. Perhaps just add a section in the article under the new results called "Cache On" or something with that graph(s) so people can see that turning it off impacts performance for AMD.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    and what do we conclude...

-> revision 1 results will be the most probable final results once all driver issues are resolved.
    it seems it worked once, then they messed something up along the way of optimizing something else (?!), and now they should be working on getting it working again.

because once this ominous shadow cache feature works, it will work on all cards (be it 4GB+ only or not), improving performance throughout the board as we can see.

those FPS were there... they're not some products of imagination.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I've just cleaned up this thread and said goodbye to one more user.

I'll repost what I stated earlier. There have been an unfortunate three revisions of the benchmarks with results all over the place. The last batch is the most valid. The Shadow Cache settings disabled offers the best game-play for the majority of cards hence it is the preferred and recommended setting, for 6GB and upwards shadow cache enabled can offer better results, use it at your own peril.

In-between revision 1 and 3 of the review a lot has happened, new drivers 5 minutes after I posted the article, totally weird anomalies but also an error on my side that boosted perf on the earlier tests. I think this was the cause of having interlaced modus activated (mistakenly) on some of the cards as I have been goofing around with that on day 1. Totally my bad, but I am not even 100% sure either that was issue as the game remains difficult to measure.

A mentioned several times now, I will retest the game in a few weeks when the drivers on both sides have mature and when the game has had a patch or two. The initial results up-to revision 3 have been far from ideal, but the rev3 results do match what you guys should get gameplay / FPS wise closest.

I have also retested an rx480 with both the shadow cache on and disabled. The perf differential is not far away from each other really. However on the opposite side, going to a 4GB card with shadow cache enabled brings in issues, stutters and game perf differences as shown in the FCAT results.

That said, the results as they stand ever since yesterday evening with rev3 stand and are sound.

Last thing, I am getting very tired of the attacks on my personal account here. I spend hours offering you guys un-biased results. Commenting is absolutely fine as mistakes do happen. But the verbal attacks lately are beyond what I deem is acceptable. The near sociopath behavior that some of you guys have been able to witness from the two users is just unacceptable. It partly comes with this job I know, but please do have some respect as I certainly do not deserve the incredibly crap that has been outted here.

Thanks guys.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The "you guys" are only a couple trolls HH :D. The hours you spend working on site are appreciated by vast majority here.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Dont take it personal HH, most of us appreciate everything you are doing here and lets hope you'll continue to bring us the benchmarks of latest games despite everything that happened. Like you said, it comes with the job. ;)

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh obviously we'll keep on making perf reviews, I love doing them. Example: the initial results didn't sit well, something had to be wrong. Then in the middle of the night I wake up at 3:30 and had the eureka moment. 04:00 in that night yesterday I started working on the shadow cache findings. That is the kind of guy that I am and that is how passionate I am on these articles.

It's just that it is so nasty to remain uplifted with vicious personal attacks. I make these articles out of passion and dump so much time in them. Anyway, nuff said there. Moving on!

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    There is also such a thing as the released version of the game being different to the version the latest driver/s are optimised for. This is a drawback of being in the online-age where the game can be worked-on right up to the last minute and even then we see time and again day 1 patches etc.

RE7 is not an established game on a well-known engine; it's brand new and we should expect bugs and problems. This is also a Capcom game. Expect the unexpected. Remember SF V?

It should be obvious to everyone who's tested this game that it's not stable and due to this everyone will have a hard time benchmarking it with repeatable and consistant results.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Pretty much human nature, 100 positive comments but a couple of negative ones deflates things.

The reasonable people are aware of the problems the game has, while the weirdos will always assume corruption first, I kinda feel sorry for them as life must be mentality draining for them.

I miss the Capcom days were most games had an inbuilt benchmark, those were also the days that Capcom games were up at the top when it comes to optimisation.
    Using gameplay leads to inconsistencies, and that just fuels the paranoid.

9. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yes, but you missed the context. I responded to someone who framed it as an Nvidia vs AMD thing rather than the 4gb issue that was affecting both camps.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ah that's why they were so high at first.. Makes more sense now :nerd:

12. behrouz

behrouz New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    hmm , I'm confused.

Revision 1 ==> s23.postimg.org/g9si9cvp7/son.png
    Revision (2) =-=> s30.postimg.org/5qjqp2629/soff.png
    Revision (3 (Latest test)) cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/185647255028629505/273481000510554112/unknown.png

I can see Revision 1 is similar to Revision 3.R9 390X in both result gets 126fps now Revision 2 shows 92fps for R9390X.
    comment of that person who was angry , is still available! i just read his comment and noticed what he said.so question is that If your bench 1080p Is with Shadow Cache off , What happens If you use ON ? does it really Improve AMD's Performance?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  13. cvearl

cvearl Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RX 580
    I for one love your site. Been lurking it for many many years. Really like your reviews. Even when my card does not win. LOL

Please keep on keepin on and ignore the wierdos. :)

Thanks man.

Charles.