Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    system requirements are wrong though....

Minimum Specifications:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
    • Memory: 8GB
    • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
    • HDD Space: 150GB
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
    Recommended Specifications:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
    • Memory: 12GB
    • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
    • HDD Space: 150GB
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
    My card is the Recommended Card?

HybOj likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Recommendations cover medium settings.

3. HybOj

HybOj Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    Im negative... and what is that approach you are showing? 40 fps plays very fluid? Oh ok. For me 60fps is the absolute minimum since last 5 years at least, and all of sudden, 40 fps is all good.
    Anyway this is the most demanding game of the year by the order of magnitude. We had beautifully optimized games like Gears 5 which I played on close to ultra and this RDR2 I cant play at 60fps on everything low all of sudden. What ever. Im glad you are happy.

Solfaur likes this.
  4. HybOj

HybOj Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    Yes, so what is the min specs? GTX 770 2G and FX 6300, Thats for low + 720p at 24fps I guess. And I dont even believe its the case. Wow, thats fair!!! Not misleading at all. Putting such extremely low min specs is just fake. GTX 1060 6GB recommended can hardly play the game - thats really cool to recommend it.

These specs they posted are lunatic from start to end. Makes the customer believe he can run the game and enjoy it, while in fact, he cant at all. Honesty at its best!

Solfaur and airbud7 like this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i agree, worst off is there are fermi users trying to run it.....

airbud7 likes this.
  6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    I honestly feel like people are playing a different game than I am since I'm just not having any problems. Perhaps they are a lot further along than I am. Perhaps I just got lucky. I've played maybe 3-4 hours, I've made it into Valentine, and a bit beyond that. I'm running it on Ultra, 1080p/144, getting really good results. (runs smooth, I'll have to check the frame-rate). My rig is nothing special. All stock 1070/4790K/16GB. Only trouble has been two game crashes. One, before I even started playing as it loaded story mode and another when I made it to the mountain encampment during a cut-scene transition. I'm (still) using a ~6 month old driver. 430.64. Perhaps that's an issue as I read that people using really old drivers are seeing the game run better than with the newest one. This game does have some pretty stunning visuals. Perhaps, turn the settings down a bit?

As for the game? It's phenomenal! The quality and work put in is just astounding. The story is quite solid, a bit like being in an Old West movie. I barely have interest in gaming anymore but this game, I played until I passed out yesterday. Woke up, played a little more before work. That hasn't happened in years.

I hope all of you having issues get it sorted out. This is a fantastic game.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli

https://www.sweclockers.com/test/28500-red-dead-redemption-2-sweclockers-utmanar-systemkraven

The minimum requirements are almost enough for a 30 FPS minimum target at 1080p lowest, with the 770 getting 27 FPS minimum. They didn't test the FX 6300 because they don't have it.
    According to DF, base PS4 runs it at 1080p with drops down to the 20s. One X runs at 4k but still 30 FPS.

Move up to the recommended settings and the game will run better. Easily 60 FPS targeting low, experience between 30-60 FPS targeting medium.

The specs listed can however clearly play the game. I'm waiting for DF to say if the lowest are equal to or better than consoles.
    Comparing RDR2 to Gears 5 is useless, totally different cases.

Rockstar, and everyone else in the industry, should however start always telling what settings the official requirements are targeting. That all millions of PC gamers have different views of what the requirements should cover, what the acceptable performance figures should be etc, is just making PC gaming into a freaking mess.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  8. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I agree with you on almost all points, but realistically - ALL cards are doing VERY bad atm in RDR2. just because one has better results than the other that usually does, does not mean the results are great on either of them. I mean, when you have something like 2080Ti (and that could have been an AMD card for all I care) getting bottlenecked at 1080p @ ~130fps avg, I mean....surely you can see how badly game has been ported.
    5700xt is a good card anyway, you are not making a mistake. nV overpriced their cards way too much.

9. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    It's complete bullshit that a 1060 or 2060 could ever compete with a 1080ti lol. No amount of low level API BS is convincing here. On Doom the 1080ti was still doing great work. AMD focused titles like Wolfenstein were a bit worse, but get real a 1080ti needs help here. It should not even be close to that bad lol. They are trying to sell new cards.

Solfaur likes this.
  10. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Indeed, they are probably trying to sell new GPUs. They knew these benchmarks would crap on the 1080ti. I believe Nvidia would do this 100%. Maybe offer some fixes in the future to buff performance. It's comical how bad a 1080ti is running on this game.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Do you understand the architectural changes and the various API additions that exploit those enhancements?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This game is the heaviest in terms of sheer integer and floating point that we can probably say has been released to date.
    And we don't even know the extent of the API in use, or features like rapid packed math (which pascal CAN'T do)

Question: Are people here forgetting the 8 series coming out and making the 6 and 7 series look like chumps in DX9 games simply through architectural differences?

12. JulianBr

JulianBr Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Yeah, I have the same issue. Low textures on whatever settings I use.

Besides that, the games runs pretty great for me. (5700 XT)

13. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    Seems virtually every flavour of cpu core combos, but no 4C/4T for some reason?

14. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Member Guru

GPU:
    Recommended is 12GB of RAM but can someone tell me what it actually uses whilst playing? I have 16GB of RAM but Malwarebytes and Windows 10 services etc etc seems to add add up, so for Far Cry New Dawn I was up to 80% used.

Thanks for any info.

Andy

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    I have sli activated, and it works in neither dx12, nor vulkan - see my screenshots :

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/red-dead-redemption-2.410412/page-69#post-5728609

16. Angushades

Angushades Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Mate you are spot on.Thumbs up for trying to teach these so called tech enthusiast.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    The area tested seems to heavily affect the results of the benchmarks. HU/GN/Techpowerup/Guru3D all show pretty different results (cards relative to others) depending on the area tested and settings used.

So trying to draw conclusions about how a 1080Ti performs relative to another card is kind of pointless.

18. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    A little advice for people - set all your lighting and volumetric options to medium. The only one I have on high is global illumination. Every other setting is on high or ultra and I'm getting a solid 60fps @1080p on a 1070Ti, 8600k@4.9ghz, 16gb 3200Mhz

Xbox1 x can't do native 4k. It's upscaled. No console yet does 4k native.

Funny when it runs perfectly for me on a 1070Ti. No doubt that people are having issues, but with the above settings as I said, no issues, smooth as butter and looks amazing.

I suppose I've been lucky that I haven't had a single crash, glitch or any other issue to speak of.

Badly optimised it is not. Demanding it is. Sure some people have issues, but the game is running great for me and many others. It's a minority that are having issues. But poor optimisation is not one of them.
    Simply, do not expect because you have a 1080Ti you can crank all the settings to ultra. Set all the lighting and volumetric to medium and everything else on high or ultra (for me shadows ultra, both tesselation options ultra, soft shadows high, AF16x, everything else on high) and the game runs amazingly smooth and looks beautiful. Don't expect it to run ok fully maxed out, won't happen.

As much as I'm agreeing with those saying the game runs fine, you're definitely not running the game on "ultra" with a 1070. Period. Even a 2080Ti won't.

Some settings on ultra, sure. I have multiple on ultra, just as said, all lighting and volumetric on medium (and I've tested at all levels and the visual difference is not that great between med and high)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  19. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Sweclockers during their tests found the game had issues on 4C/4T CPUs and caused occasional stutters, sometimes hanging completely for while using their i5 2500k.

Richard Nutman likes this.
  20. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    According to Digital Foundry Red Dead Redemption II renders in native 2160P on the Xbox One X;

Cave Waverider likes this.