Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    Lol ok, my setup is really close to yours.

R7 1700 locked at 3.8
    4x8 3200 C16
    Crosshair VI Hero
    1080TI Black edition(leans towards grey)

I did have the same damn error and tried all of the damn fixes, then it randomly hit me that i was on some randomass Beta bios from asus.
    So what i did was i just updated it to the last 1 0 0 3 ABBA aaaaaaaaand voala, it launched with 0 issues.. Works fine, no crashes no stutter no anything. really odd.

2. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'm getting terrible textures, doesn't matter if it's low or ultra. Newest drivers, 2080ti.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    GN showed that the VRAM is the limiter on the 970. The 570 4GB chugged in this game too but the 580 8GB plays fine at 1080p. BTW he also checked the 980ti performance in the title too. Also went a little more in-depth with the in-game BM vs real game play and came to the conclusion that th BM is actually pretty close to an average performance scenario and that the opening scene of the game is over the top on its performance hit vs the rest of the game.

Also I wish Hilbert had used Vulcan exclusively. Other sites have shown a 20% performance difference in favor of Vulcan on Nvidia cards.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  4. karma777police

karma777police Master Guru

GPU:
    Couple solutions.

Run game under Windows 7, will use DX11 and no performance problems with 1080ti
    Switch to Vulcan under Windows 10, will get a bit better than DX12
    Switch to old drivers and run under DX12 in Windows 10.

My recommendation is Windows 7 / DX11 for anything. Visually DX12 for this game under Windows 10 brings nothing new.

1. Nvidia did not optimize Pascal for this game yet
    2. Nvidia is gimping performance on Pascal to force people buy 16xx junk or 20 series

I contacted Nvidia about it, waiting for their response.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Woops, I meant the "2080Ti Super" :)

6. karma777police

GPU:
  7. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Even in Strange Brigade which runs very well on Vulkan and is AMD sponsored I believe, Pascal is doing decently, with the expected 1070ti=Vega56 and 1080 a bit below Vega64.
    To have a 2060 above a 1080ti should simply not be possible based on its raw power. Even if the architecture is not as optimized, the sheer amount of CUDA cores should balance it. But not in this game. Which I am not paying for if it runs like this, 40 fps is just not acceptable for my card without a significant increase in image quality, which is nowhere to be seen.

Solfaur likes this.
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I am SO glad I didn't preorder this. As a 1080Ti owner, all I can say is wow... frack you nvidia, I still won't buy an RTX card, nice try. I'm not buying the whole Pascal is outdated story either, sorry. A 1080Ti is still a freaking good card, and most certainly above a damn 2060 supershit.

I'll still get the game 1 month from now (or later) if it comes out on Steam, but I'll just have to settle for lower settings. Also, the other game related bugs are hopefully fixed by then.

Undying, Singleton99 and Dragam1337 like this.
  9. omagic

omagic Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080
    Gtx 1080 nerfing continues ;) when I bought it it was a little faster than Vega 64. Now its getting slaped(in another new game) by Vega 56... well I guess AMD cards do age a lot better...

10. karma777police

GPU:
    I agree. Wait for Steam version, bugs will be sorted out and you can always play this game with
    https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115887/en-us

These are highly optimized for GTA V and they work well with RDR2. No bullshit.

Solfaur likes this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Gamers Nexus has the 1080Ti 14% faster than the 2060 Super in it's tests on Vulkan but custom high settings.

So what exactly is happening here?

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    A 20% performance increase with vulcan... for turing cards... not pascal. I see no fps increase with vulcan, and it stutters alot more than dx12.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Gamers Nexus shows a 14% uplift with Vulkan over DX12 on a 1080Ti (with mixed ultra/high settings) - you may not be seeing it but at least one person is with various settings.

Guess Nvidia forgot to intentionally nerf pascal under certain conditions /s.

Edit: Actually the more I'm looking on reddit the more I see people saying Vulkan on Pascal runs better than DX12 - so I'm not sure why you don't see similar. Testing area probably matters to some extent (I think that's why Guru3D/Hardware Unboxed/GN all see such differing results).

14. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Last Tomb Raider looks better.

15. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    We don't exactly know which comparable settings do consoles run.
    So playing on ultra or high, or even medium can be superior than what consoles offer.
    Resolution is not everything.

16. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Exactly. The base consoles also had drops down to the 20s and dynamic resolution.

Another thing is, it's well known that console games can be optimized like hell. If RDR2 is extremely optimized and uses all the inherent strengths the consoles have, it's not surprising that the PC version has requirements a tier higher than the other multiplats.

I wouldn't be surprised either if RDR2 is a planned re-release for the PS5, and its high settings are Rockstar experimenting getting their engine next-gen ready.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah.... no. I still think I fixed it for you :D

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Am in no rush for this game.
    This title in particular is not comparable to consoles, as the PC version has added graphical assets not available to console versions.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    I get 54 fps average with dx12 in the benchmark, and 55 fps with vulkan in the benchmark... difference being that dx12 runs significantly more smooth.

20. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    So...Rockstar produced a poorly optimized console port and some people here say **** you nvidia - why not **** you AMD also since their cards don't run great either.
    Why for some people here when it's bad is always nvidia and when is great it's AMD...why not pointing the finger at the source of the problem - the company that produced the product to say so...

So here I say it: **** you Rockstar for destroying such a great game with a poorly optimized port! You don't care about the PC community - you never cared, all your games are console first in the latest years and if you care so much about the console kids then look at his:

[​IMG]

gx-x likes this.