Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Vega 56 performed similar to the 1080 in various low level API games at launch (Look at Doom/BF1 results). We've known AMD performs higher in those games for a while now as they can plug stalls. People actively talked about that when Vega launched so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by that (although there was argument about how fast dx12/vulkan would take off)

I also don't think Maxwell has aged poorly? The last time I checked the 980Ti wasn't that far behind where it was when the 1080 launched but I haven't look recently.

If the overall argument is "AMD cards have aged better" then I definitely agree and I think that should have been obvious once AMD won all the console contracts. That being said there is a question of how much that is worth to someone (typically based on how often they upgrade) and whether that will change with Turing - which is far more geared towards compute (where GCN should Accel so should Turing) and has a number of features like mesh shaders, variable rate shading, dxr etc that are all being implemented in various libraries.. so future games that take advantage of these features will only pull Turing ahead vs architectures without them.

airbud7 and Undying like this.
  2. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Usually not much to me as i upgrade every generation. But usually xx70 cards are not sold for 800-850$ in canada (taxes included). I mean i paid my 1070 604$ CAD taxes included 2 years ago. That's a hell of a price rise in 2 years if you ask me. I wish i could just skip this generation but the 1070 just is not good enough for my taste at 2k. I just ordered my new card it will arrive today. Anyway it's off topic now. RDR 2 looks very good btw so not really a surprise it runs poorly on many computers.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Honestly, at this point I think, this game looks a bit like it's unoptimized.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Man, I can see you being a bit of a sad puppy once NVidia release their 3000 series next year then! Well, unless you're ok with upgrading next year as well as this year. I think it's best to upgrade on the crest of the wave if you like, pretty much right when a new architecture/shrink is released - that way you're enjoying the 'best' performance for longer, upgrading later in the cycle you're behind the curve and missing out on gaming value.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    My next big upgrade will be when ray tracing will be more mature and i honestly don't think it will be happening with the next gen of cards. Even if the performance will be better with the 3xxx cards we will still see devs overdoing reflections just because they can and i hate it with a very strong passion. I hate when things are too shiny it's not realistic.

My 5700 XT is just a temporary card. It's a Christmas gift from me to me ;) I wanted better performance at 2k without having to spend close to a grand with taxes and shipping. It really was the only option in Canada. In 2 years when ray tracing will start to be more mature and/or devs will start to develop for next gen consoles then i'll probably upgrade my 1800x cpu to a 3800x cpu on sale and maybe by then i'll be ready to spend a little bit more on a proper ray tracing card if the tech is more mature.

For now i just did not feel like the 2070 was worth it in Canada since ray tracing performance on it are already kind of sub par and at the end of the day it really performs like a 550$ CAD card if you ignore ray tracing. I felt like anything i would buy now would be terribly outdated once ray tracing mature and next gen consoles are released so i went for the cheaper option.

Robbo9999 and Loophole35 like this.
  6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Good buy tbh. It's hard to accept the huge price difference between 5700XT and GTX2080.

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Wow, you need some serious HORSEpower to run this game!

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    HUB analyzed every single setting and what it does to performance (with before and after examples). You can get up to 65% performance gain with minimal visual loss with smartly selected settings.

https://i.**********/N0GsytKW/2019-11-13-21-05-17-Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Optimization-Part-2.jpg

https://i.**********/fyNgLzLd/1-Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Optimization-Part-1-Let-s-Greatly-Impr.jpg

https://i.**********/cHsn4PWH/2-Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Optimization-Part-2-Advanced-Settings.jpg

Links:
    Part 1
    Part 2

airbud7, Robbo9999 and Dragam1337 like this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Only change i'd make to this is geometry level of detail... it's worth the 3% performance hit to use 5 out 5 imo.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yep, doesnt have to be strictly followed. You can further adjust the settings to suit your own individual tastes and still get a sizable perf boost.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Ye, it's mostly water and reflections that kills performance :)

12. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Imagine turning down settings gets more FPS.New World Today with these crazy kids.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Seems you missed the point. That carefully selected reduced settings need not compromise the visuals to the degree the perf gains may suggest.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/r...ms_with_pc_version_red_dead_redemption_2.html

So... anybody still wanting to complain about artificial GPU gimping, or do we wait until they fix their game?

And yes, this is for all of those loudly vocalizing that the fault's totally at Nvidia.
    Not that Nvidia is innocent and always right, but they're not always wrong or to blame alone either.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its all nvidia's fault my oven stopped working.

airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.

16. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    This game still hang and crash after the latest update.the most irritation part is that its crashing when ever good happened with me in thr game.

17. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I'm gonna try enabling async compute and see if it does anything for the 2080 Ti.

18. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Pretty crazy that this title is 99.9% gpubound with 2080ti @ 1080p. We need next gen gpu's now!

Luckily RDR2 is working with sli, so 100fps in 4k pretty nice with 2x2080ti nvlink. Too bad the cost is pretty high.

19. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    We need better programmers not just better GPU that 1% of PC users will buy.