Review: Red Dead Redemption 2: PC graphics benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I imagine that the specific snow scene is heavy in "near" volumetric effects to achieve the billowy air movements that come up.

I'm glad this game released, and im glad it has the heavy taxing max settings that it has, it gives both current vendors an idea of where to tune Ampere/Arcturus and aim for besting this beast.

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I'd say there's a huge difference between not doing further optimizations, and actually gimping the performance by deliberately writing bad code. According to the latter camp, release drivers from Kepler should outperform the current drivers.
    And Nvidia did address the Kepler issue, though it took 1-2 weeks for them to do so.

I still have Kepler. They've been updated to support WDDM 2.6 and Shader Model 6.4. How much further room there is for Kepler-optimization in new games is up for debate and can only be answered by Nvidia, but they have at least not stopped it from supporting new DirectX features.

This test is two years old now but I still can't find a more recent one. All cards got an improvement with later drivers, sometimes marginal or minimal, sometimes a clear improvement of 5-10 FPS.
    https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/geforce-treiber-test/2/#diagramm-f1-2015

3. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Hi Hilbert, please look at this video:

https://youtu.be/2UPXld_xlDs

Async compute is disabled by default and delivers better frametimes on AMD cards at least, needs to manually change the config file to enable it.
    Very strange omission in the graphics menu, i wonder why.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm just wondering why my gtx 1060 is in recommended category/slot pre-release?

was/is 720p now the recommended resolution....?....to con me into buying it?

Solfaur and Loophole35 like this.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is why I wait now. Watchdogs got me and that was the last time.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Again be aware it's a vocal minority (always the loudest) complaining about issues. For me, and many (probably most) others, the game runs amazingly well for how good it looks, even with most settings on high ultra.

7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    So according to Digitalfoundry, the settings on consoles are a mix of low to high, but some settings are lower than lowest

So, despite what all elite graphics programmers on the forums say, there's no bad optimization at work. Just a port that in general goes above and beyond the console visuals.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    HandR, Turanis, Undying and 1 other person like this.
  8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    People seem to forget that the 10 series cards launched all the way back in May 2016, just like previous generations of cards from both vendors they can’t stay relevant forever, there’s always a point when their weaknesses vs newer architectures starts to show in newer titles.

It’s not Nvidia gimping performance, they don’t develop the game, it’s more like developers actually taking advantage of what the newer hardware can do.

It sucks if you’re on older cards but this isn’t new, you should be happy that the 10 series has lasted as long as it has, older generations weren’t always so lucky.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You remember when 1080ti was 2080 performance level? :p

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    im amazed by the Polaris performance. Rich even said 580 is even running better than 1660.

https://i.**********/pV1SNtfS/RZOMO0Q.png

Turanis likes this.

11. Nizzer1982

Nizzer1982 New Member

GPU:
    Was expecting a nightmare with this after reading all the stuff online, but haven't had a single problem with it myself. No launcher issues and it doesn't appear to be as much as a performance hog as has been made out. Running it a steady 60 without fluctuating 3440 ultra wide/Medium settings and it's definitely one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    I'd say that Pascal is gimped by good 10-20%. The question is who is to blame here? Is it NVIDIA? Is it R*? Personally, I'd blame R*. They probably didn't have "time" to optimize for specific architectures on PC, they were just fixing visual bugs. It's kinda sad, considering Pascal (and 1080TI specifically) is the most widespread discrete PC GPU architecture...

13. Nizzer1982

Nizzer1982 New Member

GPU:
    I can 100% confirm Pascal is not gimped with this game. It's what I'm running and like I posted I've had no issues at all. There's clearly something else going on here that's effecting some players and not others. Whether it's an issue with the 'ti' specifically as I've read similar complaints in other forums from 'ti' users. Only time will tell I guess.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Remember GN is getting completely different results in their tests. I looks like all the blame should fall at R* feet. Again glad I'm not one of the paying alpha testers.

airbud7 likes this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Nah - honestly I'm over it and I think I'm just going to leave the forums.

https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=43782

https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=43790

https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=43796

https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct...dmin=0a8fcaad6b03da6a6895d1ada2e171002a287bc1

https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-ge...ion/images/monster-hunter-world_1920-1080.png

https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition/images/hellblade_1920-1080.png

https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-ge...dition/images/rainbow-six-siege_1920-1080.png

In everyone of these games/benchmarks the 2080 is performing anywhere from 10 to 35% faster than a 1080Ti. The average of all the differences between the 1080Ti and 2080 in what I posted above is 19.5%. So no I really don't recall the two being in the same performance level - unless of course you consider 19.5% over 7 modern titles the same performance level. I don't.

Hilbert's DX12 results for RDR2 show a 23% difference between the 1080Ti and 2080. Techpowerup shows a 16.6% difference. Hardware Unboxed shows a 12.2% difference - averaging 17.2% - so not only is not an outlier in performance it doesn't even exceed the average of games listed above.

It's really annoying to me that I had to spend the last like 10 posts or whatever just correcting people's misinformation. A post that took you 5 seconds to write "You remember when 1080ti was 2080 performance level? :p" that we saw people earlier in this thread read into - took me almost 20 minutes to completely disprove. Then you do it again right under that post:

He didn't say that. He said it runs better in this one area (literally by 3 fps at max and it's on video for like 5 seconds) but then goes on to say that area is an outlier, it spends the rest of it's time capped at 60 because they have vsync on. Every single benchmark, Hilbert/Unboxed/GN/Techpowerup all have the 1660 clearly winning.

So now someone comes into this forum - sees your post and goes "580 runs the game better than the 1660" based on you completely taking a picture/quote out of context. Cool.

Then you have this:

So after I spent like 8 pages refuting this garbage it's just another guy posting the same crap based on literally nothing.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Great effort to prove everybody wrong. You know i respect your comments but sometimes you can be really stubborn.

17. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I do sympathize. The amount of stupid, fake news people post this site can be overwhelming at times, but at those times we just need to take a break and reset.:)

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  18. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    "On a horse, in the snow and storm. Hi-Hoo Hilbert, yee-haw!"
    Great review,Mr Hilbert.Now its complete.Many Thanks. :)

I dont think is gimped,they do as usual stuff for older Gtx: they launch a new driver for a new game,but they do not optimize for older Gtx.Is just a "supported" driver to match older gpu.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    And sometimes you crap post. Maybe from now on unless you can substantiate your claims don’t post them. We know you view things wit a slant towards AMD.

Stormyandcold and yasamoka like this.
  20. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    RTX2070 SUPER
    So how Async Compute improves fps/smoothness on Turing cards, anyone tried?