1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Radeon RX Vega 64 vs GeForce GTX 1080 FCAT Analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Interesting, Prey is showing some oddities but it seems to be pretty smooth overall, wonder how DOOM would look like seeing how it has the option to use Vulkan.
    Expected Deus Ex Mankind Divided to act up more too in those results, the extra VRAM probably helps and for GTA V I guess it's down to the streaming system?

Dishonored 2 could be of interest too but I don't know how well AMD is doing overall for that game, might be a bit skewed although Resident Evil 7 looks pretty smooth in these FCAT results and Nvidia has a pretty good advantage for that game so maybe not?

Anyways, nice to see some tests for Vega and frame consistency. :)

3. Nictron

Nictron Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Titan X
    Thanks Hilbert, good review and shows that AMD is back in the game, if only we can find one to buy, nothing available at a good price here in South Africa.

One correction:

You also need to consider and wigh in that the GTX 1080 has a year to ripen it's driver whereas

You also need to consider and weigh in that the GTX 1080 has had a year to ripen it's driver whereas.

4. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Thanks for the huge amount of work and analysis! This was really interesting, especially the AoTS results (my game). I think you've shown Vega 64's real place in the performance spectrum more clearly than did previous reviews. You make a good point on driver maturity... we can hope that AMD will be able to improve some things out over time. But for me, power dissipation is still the biggest negative on Vega which I would otherwise be planning to buy, even though it consistently trails the 1080.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the read HH, much appreciated.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Good to see Vega is giving a fairly polished experience this early on.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I don't believe in miracles and AMD has yet to show me one.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    If you would read the article and know what you are looking at you would see that there are no real frame pacing issues (with the exception of GTA5) on Vega. That is a positive on a mostly lackluster release. It means AMD can focus on trying to get more performance from drivers rather than fixing the user experience.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    True Loop^......I've seen games unplayable and a simple driver update gets 60+ fps

10. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Page number 9 - are the colors, designating the cards (green/red) wrongly applied on the first (upper) pic (green for Vega, red for NV)?

edit: it's been corrected, thanx...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nope I did not correct anything, and yes it looks normal :)

12. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Might have been due to too much gaming these days;)...But I swear I thought I saw a green line next to AMD card and a red one next to a 1080. VERY interesting review - thank you Hilbert, you're doing a GREAT job!

13. Singleton99

Singleton99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Thanks HH for the explanation of this article/review (I've learnt something new today) , this will go a long way in understanding future FCAT results , :)

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    That GTA 5 stufff. I'd say: "Mod vBIOS to increase all power limits by 10%, and test again."
    Because I think that's likely card trying to stay within certain power consumption limits on average. And is just on the edge of minor clock-down.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X
    Id ignore this one.
    Most of his post are pretty off putting and whiney or complaing. Almost like AMD kicked his cat.