Review: PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 590 8G

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, there is value in that card. That's Core clock and its untapped potential in form of memory limitation. Proper memory tweaking should increase performance of that card a lot.

@warlord : Do not judge memory bandwidth by bus width and clock. Use OCLmembench to see result which can be compared. Values in GPUz are theoretical maximum.

2. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    Guess I was way too optimistic, however up to 10% perf uplift is still very disappointing. Wonder where AMD got their numbers, since they are a lot different. I mean they go way over standard marketing fluff. Wonder if there is some hidden issue holding the card back (not talking about the memory bottleneck here). Anyway, I guess AMD wanted a 1060 beater and they got one.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Maybe they did tests on engineering sample which went through hands of capable engineer :D

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Much worse than I thought it would be.

Performance isn't bad for the price segment, but the graphs I saw showed higher numbers.

You can't even put it down to a new architecture.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The problem is companies have done gaming bundles at their slotted MSRP with and without a gaming bundle. The 590 itself is not a terrible card, it's just not priced the best.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think AMD could have gone for this price. It required only one thing and that's using fastest available memory with good timings. But way it is, price is not best.

On other hand, it uses 12nm chip with improved power efficiency and if there is another crypto-boom...

vbetts likes this.
  7. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Great review as always. I just hope that navi is gonna be a game changer

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Heh... My RX-480 8GB is hands-down the best GPU I have ever owned--and probably the cheapest, too. Guess you haven't looked at how much better the 590 is than a 1050/60 from nVidia, eh? For the same money, and the 590 includes 8GB of ram and X-Fire capability, too. Don't know where you get your "memory bandwidth starved" idea...it doesn't make much sense, really, as I'm sure if the GPU was starved for bandwidth to a material degree that AMD would have slapped some on, no doubt. I should think that would make this product a no-brainer over the 1050/60, easily. RX-590 easily beats this:

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-...=UTF8&qid=1542389224&sr=8-8&keywords=gtx+1060

But, it isn't much of a departure from the 580, I'll agree, which wasn't much a departure from the 480--which I think I'll hang onto for awhile. With the 480 @1.305GHz, , believe it or not, I can game @ 38040x2160--albeit the frame rate is *slow*--but the play is still smooth. Main thing to me is there is no stuttering--and, I'm just not going to spend > $300 for a GPU from here on out. Nada. I refuse...! Those days are gone...;) I'll probably just stick with my 480, though, until I see what AMD is going to produce next year @ 7nm--I hope...;)

Bear in mind that I really don't do mulitplayer--I'm a single-player guy, completely. And I don't really care for first-person shooters, although I have a few installed...!

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yep--the product is intended to compete with the 1060 product, which it exceeds admirably, in my view. HH did do an excellent review of the die-shrink. It's not his fault that I see no reason to go with a 590 from 480...! Just none. So...I'll continue to be patient...until we see what's what next year...

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If GPUs performance does not scale in linear fashion with clock, then it is memory bandwidth or timing limited for given task.

Simple example is compute. Card is at whatever locked GPU clock. Reducing memory clock does not reduce performance at all in certain clock range. Then you hit that point where GPU does not get required data in time anymore => memory bandwidth or latency limited.

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Wow, this is one noisy card, must sound like a vacuum cleaner! I'm not so sure that it's a BIOS issue, I think it's a cooling issue. The card was only at about 60% fan speed yet sounded really loud and temperatures were good, so it's not like it was at 100% fan speed or anything - so I think it's by design and related to the cards need for cooling, it was consuming a pretty high 219W in the testing. They need the aggressive cooling to maintain the boost clocks and the increased performance, they're pushing the limit of what the card can do, is the way I see it, not a BIOS bug/issue.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @BReal85
    not relevant as other options can be had cheaper or more powerful, while using less power producing less heat and most of the time also less noisy.
    especially when not everyone is playing those games, and ppl looking at prices might not have the additional money to get a 590, just because it has games coming with it.

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Like i said, We need Price cut to max 249€ -> Then it will be a steal ;)
    ...and FreeSync which comes Free.

14. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    There are always cheaper cards than a given card, except for the cheapest one.
    There are always more powerful cards than a given card, except for the most powerful one.

So sorry, I don't really get to your point. :)

Of course, getting an RX580 with a choice of 2 of the same 3 games given to the RX590 or Vega is a better price/performance option, but the RX590 is hands down a much better choice than a GTX 1060 given the much more better bundle (Division 2, RE2 and DMC5 vs. MH: World) and the better performance.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    In stark contrast to the XFX RX590. Not sure why anyone would go for this over the XFX, especially if you dont care about the games in the bundle.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @BReal85
    i can have something cheaper at same perf, can have much faster card for less than 50$ more.
    so i dont see this card making much sense for ppl that dont have money, or the ones that can spend a little more.
    and since not everyone plays those games, i dont count them in for value, the same way that one shop might have a 1070/ti with a MIR,
    would you still go with the (game) bundle if you dont play those? nope...

no games and another 100-150$ off.