Review: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 RED DEVIL edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2016.

1. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Check digital foundry review. Async is turned on when tsaa is enabled in the options. under that setting (8x) the 1080 got a small boost but a boost nonetheless. But you all need to understand something nvidia does not HW ASYNC like amd does , and this the gains are smaller in comparison.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...n-patch-shows-game-changing-performance-gains

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is nothing in that article you linked that shows the performance gain is directly from async compute and not any of the other number of improvements Vulkan made. So again, please link me an article that shows a performance gain and directly links it to async compute.

Because everything i've read -- shows that the performance gain on nvidia cards going to Vulkan in Doom is 100% CPU overhead improvement. In fact if you run VKTrace with a pascal GPU you'll see that it doesn't run Async at all.

Even doom's own FAQ states:

This is after Pascal launched. Why would they state Nvidia GPU's not mention that it's enabled on Pascal?

Because it's not.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Um yes it does, the setting that enables async, without tssaa and no aa async is disabled completely... I never stated that vulkan does not bring any improvements but ID specifically stated it is vulkan plus async..

p.s I am talking about pascal not maxwell here

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually they literally said the opposite.

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/54585?tstart=0

I know you're talking about Pascal but it's not really relevant. No Nvidia GPU currently supports Async in Doom.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Only for people who want to go CrossFire.

6. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    zero cool why do you post, you only have one point of view...

7. toxicloud

toxicloud New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270 2GB
    Can I use this card for my HDMI 1.2 Display?

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Maxwell top tier 980TI gets a boost in vulkan too.

Maxwell 5fps
    Pascal 7fps

Check pcgameshw.de

9. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Reading that review, it is quite clear it is a capable performer at 1080p. If that is the resolution you play at, then great. It can pass 1440p with settings lowered. But I wouldn't recommend it going forward for that res.

Temps are great, noise is excellent, overclocking underwhelming to say the least. I was really hoping the AIB's would add something much needed there. All in all for someone like myself who is wanting to move to 144hz 1440p, it is quite disappointing. I had quite high hopes for the 480, but feel a bit underwhelmed all in all. Hopefully Vega is a much better product when it hits the shelves next year.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  10. Martin.v.r

Martin.v.r Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 1200/1500
    I have the difficult purchased a horse for my daughter, otherwise I also had bought a RX480,and bios unlock it, throw water on.

it should be able to get over 1400 on the GPU, now when my 7970 can go 1400MHz on the GPU with water

11. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That's the story. Our Daughter's must come first. :)

12. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    I think Doom Vulkan benefits greatly more from AMD Shader intrinsic derived from consoles vs multi engine (async compute), different Vulkan drivers used as well on AMD vs older ones used by nVidia

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Am I the only one that thinks this card (Polaris10) is as unimpressive over clocked as the Pascal cards?

14. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That is pretty much a given. Takes a bit of the fun out of it for sure.

15. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    There doesn't seem to be much headroom for overclocking. Even a standard 1060 let alone an overclocked one looks like a better option.

16. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    Well, pascal OC is not much fun either imo, guaranteed OC of ~2Ghz on most boards

17. Cnstntgrdnr

Cnstntgrdnr Active Member

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    so here we have a card with zero overclocking headroom despite the overdesigned pcb and a humongous cooler that shaves off just 6 degrees from the reference blower. pretty much the only good thing about it is the noise level...meh :thumbdown

18. Martin.v.r

Martin.v.r Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 1200/1500
    to reach the 1400MHz on gpu with my 7970, I had to keep tempen below 37c load,so it is probably with this card that has a very low load temp

19. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I wouldn't call either the 480 or the 1060 as anything close to future proof. If you are one of these people who keep a graphics card for 4 plus years, then neither of these cards are a good buy at all.

Also with relations to changing the settings. When reviewing cards and comparing them to another, you should use the same settings. Everyone knows that AC gives a very good boost to AMD cards. This article is not lousy at all. The only lousy thing here is the 480 Red Devil.

20. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Well nothing impressive finally even the custom cards are mediocre, my gpu at 1100/1700 is much faster than any rx480/gtx1060 aib...I feel that those 300$ i spend for a new card are so well spent. i feel no guilt over my purchase tbh.