Review: PowerColor Devil HDX Sound Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today on the slab is a new sound card from PowerColor, who need no introduction from their line of video cards, and it’s a beast, meet the PowerColor Devil HDX Sound Card. Read the review ...

Review: PowerColor Devil HDX Sound Card

2. Csokis

Csokis Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1650 S
    It's a ¼” TRS = exactly 6.35 mm, not 6.4 mm!

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    How does it stack up to the Xonar D2X?

4. What is this? Seriously? A Circus?

How one can review a sound card without doing RMAA tests? HOW? It is all BS that's written there.

5. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Oh, look, more people who will install Uni Xonar in the future! (Provided that they're compatible, of course.)

I do find it strange that RMAA tests aren't included, too.

6. False advertising also... the board consists on Nichion FW series... those are standard audio series not MUSE... again nothing mentioned really... the photos taken are useless to figure out the element base.

2000h at 85C, not likely the stuff that i would use near GPU. Sound card asks for a industrial/military approach actually.They put them everywhere. There are signal coupling caps and caps meant for supply rejection - PSU, low esr, more rejection, less life span etc... The engineer who made this is an amateur.

People nothing to see here.

7. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    What's this, a card for peasants? Jokes aside, when are you going to test the "soon dead due to lack of support" asus strix cards?

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Actually after reading the comments here we will never review a sound card again. Why spend days on a review if people only bitch, moan and complain. There's just no respect left from some of you guys.

Take care.

9. Brisse

Brisse Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro R9 Fury
    You are comparing apples and oranges. This one looks like it's competing with the Xonar Essence series. I would take the Essence STX over this any day though.

10. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Hilbert, I'm sorry if my comment hurt you. The first part was directed at the manufacturer, who's often quick to drop support — I'm looking at you, Asus. :mad:

That's not your fault in any way or shape, and I'm sure you'll mention a lack of driver support in future reviews of Powercolor soundcards, if said manufacturer does drop the ball indeed. You did point out that it was a rebranded card, after all. :)

The second part was simply asking for numbers. We have your opinion on games, music and movies, and, while I trust your word on those, there are things that only numbers can help with. Imagine a graphics card review with no FPS measurements...

tl;dr: moar numberz plz

---

By the way, I've just thought about this [thing]. Since you do so many reviews, that could come in handy to take pictures with no background object or surface distracting the eye. That's just a suggestion, of course. =)

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh the reaction mainly was based on Ferrum's comment, after which the rest happily follows. Here's the thing, if you miss RMAA results ... just request it ? I would ask the author to check it out.

"How one can review a sound card without doing RMAA tests? HOW? It is all BS that's written there."

I mean seriously - what the hell is that for a reaction ? I mean a normal comment is fine, but the amount of stupidity of some people on the web is enormous these days. How about realizing that an editor (not me) worked for many days on this free content ? The guy works at the Conservatory of Music in San Francisco, he knows his stuff - not the best photographer sure. He didn't include RMAA results. Ok that can be fixed. But no, instead of showing some common courtesy apparently bitching and claiming the article is BS is the only thing that comes to mind ?

I mean sheesh, what the hell you guys. BTW I checked ferrets last 40 comments, well over 50% are negative. I guess it's a thing, that doesn't mean it's right though.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_devil_hdx_sound_card_review,6.html

Good review and yeah owning a Phoebus now (Which soon will reside in my sisters PC as I move to the Strix.) Asus (Though hopefully PowerColor will have a easier time with this.) has had major issues with driver releases for Win10 though they as I understood it cite C-Media for the slow progress although a week or so ago they (effing finally. :p ) got their Phoebus Windows 10 driver out of beta.
    (Still has a few issues and they cut some functionality too from older drivers in the sound control panel as those are now exclusive to Strix or something.)

As for the comment above mentioning the uni xonar drivers they unfortunately don't work with the newer cards which I guess is the CM8888 chip and newer so that won't work for those hoping to use those drivers.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  13. Yes I still stand for those words firmly, yes I may sound rude, but it has to maintain some basic quality. I just cannot let readers pass that, it ain't a stuffed toy. You can't write things like bass shy or tonally dry, these are electronics not a poem. Everything has to claimed by measurements proving your words right, not your imagination. How one reading this will know it more less shy than his current for example Xonar DX? Well okay, we know from all the tests that is was conducted using one headphones... so a 62ohm load... one situation it is(actually in the article it is said those AKG's are 32... actually at AKG site they are told to be 62ohm, well... okay... then he says... and my hair stands up, and someone needs to introduced to the ohm's law, and what is needed for driving 600ohm load.

Much to do with these numbers come from the chips on the Devil HDX and its design. It appears that both the headphone output and RCA outputs are driven by the dedicated opamp, which is capable of driving up to 600 Ohm impedance headphones. To deliver current to this kind of load, you need an external power supply, which, as the Devil HDX would have it, it has it!

Audio world just works by that and it is sound engineering. And comparing to a reference as DIY mashup, that actually my distort to someones likeness. It has to be tested itself to work as reference, usually the more bright sound is simply high frequency oscillation and instability.

It has to include basic block diagram, basic part list. Durability, quality of components like caps and jacks.

It has to have measurements using certified audio equipment, spectrum analyzer using different sampling rates. At least RMAA using some good proven capture card... even GSMarena does that still for testing mobile phones and with and without load attached, to get some idea at least. Now we have a dedicated sound card review... and nothing... some random numbers overall the article.

It has to have tested software features. ASIO, SPDIF passthrough, auto sample rate conversion switching (the thing that CMI based things just don't do normally), WASAPI exclusive mode bit matched playback and their bugs using CMI devices when the shared mode still kicks in. Simple things that annoy usually Xonar users.

Sorry for the sour response, but this is a circus not a review.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's a review on a consumer grade gamers soundcard for PC Gamers, not a scientific paper that needs academic publishing. Anyway I have been checking your post history. Go find yourself a new home, I do not need pricks on my forums.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    But if RMAA was used then stuff like this would not fly:

"The Devil HDX has a dynamic and detailed sound, with a very wide stereo field. Its very low noise floor makes sound very pure, while at the same time a little tonally dry. It’s bass output is also not the deepest, but impactful and enjoyable."

[...]

" about the fine differences between the Devil HDX and the Sparrow A, I think we can sum up the Devil HDX’s sound: It’s dynamic, detailed, with a wide stereo field, but just a little bass shy, at least on my setup."

If you find any modern DAC "bass shy" you should check your setup, or your ears, or AMP, or your headphones.
    Any of these are more suspect to bringing in bass "shyness", than the DAC itself.

I mean really... who the hell would buy the card that can not deliver the frequencies its been asked to do?
    That's the sole job of a sound card.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Basically this.
    That's the one and the only moment in the (audio) review where there is no subjectivity involved and yet skip it?
    Just give us the measurements and then sing away your poem about USB audio cable :)

Come on H, don't go Unwinder on us now :D

17. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I'm glad we'll be able to have charts with numbers. They're very helpful for comparisons between different models. :)

18. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    I agree that the article needed more numbers but I still found it insightful and interesting. Still, this doesn't excuse the rude comments by some of the members on here, it isn't constructive in anyway except if the intention is trolling.

19. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I like the article as is. To me audio is not about numbers but how you feel it

20. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Please don't. If you start testing equipement based on subjective criterias such as "feelings" you'll end up describing the audio benefits of $500 HDMI cables.