1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Gamerock Premium 8G

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us in a review from Palit, this round it's the GeForce RTX 2080 8G Gamerock Premium 8G to be precise. Known for their more value offering this graphics card does not disappoint when it comes tow...

Review: Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Gamerock Premium 8G

2. RmVA

RmVA Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    FIRST!!!!

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC Radeon VII
    SECOND!!!

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guys if you don't have anything useful to say about the card or the review, then don't?

tunejunky and tensai28 like this.

5. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Member Guru

GPU:
    GT 555M 1GB
    I think they were pretending to be the 2080 and 1080ti in most benchmarks.

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Sums up the waning interest on this series of cards. Will be interesting to see ray tracing performance when games start coming out over the next months & year, but people are Turing'ed out, been a disappointing launch given high prices & unexciting performance increase.

7. Trihy

Trihy Active Member

GPU:
    Onboard
    Not the most popular manufacturer.

But they have the best temp/cooler rpm ratio. Better than most manufacturers, if not the best. 36db 65C at load. Just incredible. They did the same good job on past gen.

One day have to try one of their cards.

Kudos to them.

8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC Radeon VII
    Any chance of a review of its bigger sibling? I mean the Palit RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Pro OC....I wonder how it measures up against 1st tier cards from Asus, EVGA and such.

Edit - Main reason I'm asking is because I ran the Fire Strike benchmark and got a crazy figure for the boost clock.....was wondering if it were a mistake.

Edit - Nvm, I'm such a klutz, I think the boost clock is pretty normal upon checking against the GTX 1080 Ti boost clock which was higher.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  9. Soh Gary

Soh Gary New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx 970 g1
    please review zotac 2080 amp!
    really appreciate what you guys are doing so far:)

10. RmVA

RmVA Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    Agreed. I had the Palit Jetstream 980Ti and it was my most favorite cooler so far. Exchanged the card for a GTX 1080 (from MSI)... not a worthy upgrade unfortunately. At least hopefully/maybe I bought some extra time against driver gimping.

11. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    My last card the gigabyte aorus xtreme 1080ti cost me 28,000ntd. I'm seeing the 2080's priced lower than that and they outperform the 1080ti (not by much but still an improvement). Not sure how bad the prices are where you guys are but I don't see the problem.

Edit: I was skimming through some 2080 review articles. Not sure how I ended posting in this one and realize not really anyone was complaining about the prices in this particular reviews comments except maybe one user but still you get my point.

12. aquasplash

aquasplash New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1060 6gb
    im buy this beauty during Black Friday for ~719euro from original 840-890euro

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    i love the painstaking process HH uses. i can always rely on his reviews (and do).
    that being said, this card depending on street price, may be the rtx 2080 to get if you're going to get one, which i'm not.
    i'm not going to moan about why, but i will say MSI really applies themselves to their product.

14. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    200e less and I'll take it. Other way is too expensive to change from my 1080 gaming x...

15. krysc4d

krysc4d New Member

GPU:
    980ti
    I wish to see Octane Bench for each GPU benchmarks, is it possible in future?

16. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    By that reasoning when the 10 series launched just imagine if the GTX 1070 was priced the same as the 980Ti's msrp or at least similary priced to the 980Ti's price at that time, since it performed similary or a bit better.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  17. beta-sama

beta-sama Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX1080Ti WF
    That bottleneck in Far Cry 5 @ 1080p :eek:

I think its time to upgrade the test setup :D

18. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Thanks for the in depth review. I really like the DLSS the tensor cores bring, just hope there is a good deal of support rolled out for games and hopefully some slightly older games too.

I still think game devs will make great use of the RT cores too in the long run as free performance (when used right) for nice effects is always a bonus. Excellent RT shadows will likely have a no fps performance impact in a game for example as like DLSS it uses separate hardware than is used to render the game, while not over stressing it like BF V's implementation.

I bought one of these over the Black Friday weekend, I paid £749 / €843 and also really happy with it.

I really liked the grey metal backplate effect, LEDs were a little bright by default, but turned them down to min and is about perfect. - my case is on my desk just to the right of my face.
    Nice range of effects too.

I cannot hear any coil whine or fan noise from my card :)

Such a nice upgrade from my old Fury Tri-X, over double the performance = very Happy !

Mine came with:

$20 Steam vouchers + $10 more for leaving a card review at the store I bought from
    Battlefield V
    MSI Immerse GH70 7.1 surround headset

Also as a surprise it came with £75 off a 12 bottles (you choose) case of wine costing £114.99+. This offer seems to be from CCLonline.com I bought my card from, but hey works out at about £3.74 with delivery per bottle. I find such buys are usually quite good quality wine too (some my father had in the past were worth about £10 - £15 in the shops per bottle) and cheaper still than the cheapest at my local shops :)
    Hope this offer is as good as the ones my father got, was really nice wine which was why I found out what they were worth when I tried to buy more later.

Overall worked out cheaper for me than a second hand decent 1080Ti here in the UK ^_^

19. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

you got a crazy boost clock on the 2080ti?

20. devastator

devastator Member Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070
    my next cpu cooler :)