Review: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2022.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Impressive results. Still a card that wont fit all case and will cost a kidney. Will be interesting to see how gimped the two 4080 are.

Why_Me likes this.
  2. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I'd say for 3440x1440p144 i would be a legit purchase as long as you got two kidney as i'm not sure you can survive with none.

Undying and mackintosh like this.
  3. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Definitely a fit for a no-frills high refresh 1440p. At least with contemporary titles.

4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Honestly, considering what Nvidia just unleashed with the 4090, I would pump the brakes on buying anything until AMD shows their hand.

waltc3, carnivore, Ivrogne and 4 others like this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Unless you dont care and only want nvidia card i would wait. It would be interesting what AMD MCM 7900XT can do.

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Wow, that is amazing performance, a true beast of a GPU in all senses of the word.

7. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    untitled-34.png

@Hilbert Hagedoorn
    When using Blender, please share the build number and the demo file used for the test.
    Blender ditched Open CL since 3.0 and now the AMD cards RX6xxx use a different API called HIP, that can be selected in the settings, where before there was the Open CL option. If you are mentioning Open CL in your test, it means that you used a build older than 3.0, probably, and an old benchmark script. GTX cards can't use Optix, only CUDA.
    Also, don't know what kind of render you do, but it's better to pick some demo files from here: https://www.blender.org/download/demo-files/
    and make a comparison with just few of them. Like Barbershop, Barcelona and Classroom.
    Blender 3.x now, by default, uses CyclesX and render the image as one single tile. With the NVIDIA RTX cards is super fast.
    So if you want to compare the performance of AMD and NVIDIA in Blender and give the readers a good reference, that they can also use to replicate the test with their gpu, describe the build number, the demo file used, the render options (always Optix for the RTX cards and HIP for the new AMD cards) and be sure that in the right side panel it's like this, with Feature Set to Experimental:
    blender.PNG

That said, since you have the 4090 installed, would be great if you can do a quick test with those three demo files that I've said and share how much seconds did it take for this baby to finish the rendering. No need to do the same with the other cards fo now: it's just to give us some simple number to use as a reference for our personal comparison. :):):)

[edit]
    There are also two new demos in the top of that page linked: Scanlands and White Lands.

Meathelix1 likes this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I just do not want to spend this much money on a graphics card...I could, of course; but I just do not want to - a business expense I could right off. Is it a high performance card? Sure - but I just do not want to spend that much money on a graphics card.

I'm more than happy to admire from a distance, but the future is not looking good for graphics card prices if this is where we are right now.

9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Some serious power there, I'm impressed with numbers in 4K. Those who can afford 4090 atm and of course buy one are really lucky bastards considering the fact that this beast dodged the bullet not to be released during crypto madness or else it would be completely different story when it comes to final price and availability. But again price for this beast is just... out of this world here in Europe, just take a look at these insane 4090 prices here, disgusting is an easy word for this ripoff

rtx4090.JPG

Horus-Anhur, Solfaur, Airbud and 4 others like this.
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Jensun needs to stop snorting leather jacket dust and come back to reality. "Disgusting" isn't nearly a powerful enough word. They're just trying to keep a 2 year old generation priced high for another 2 years. Basically a 4 year generation, thanks nGreedia.

11. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes, that's basically the reason for this price-point. They want to fleece enthusiasts, make the 4080 seem like a bargain in comparison and all the while prevent the demand for the 3000 series from tanking too much, so that they can clear their inventory. Whether this strategy works out for them will depend on what AMD brings to the table and on the overall PC market conditions.

I'm assuming Nvidia is counting on all those people who sat out the 3000s due to mining soaking up all the demand. I imagine AMD will be doing the same

Fediuld likes this.
  12. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    We shall see. However because the dies are much smaller, the yields are better and cost is lower too. While they can scale it as much as they want.
    Nvidia approach for monolithic behemoth dies, has very high costs because not many chips are usable per waffer especially as nodes shrink.

Imho, AMD going to pull a Threadripper moment here. It has the tech and momentum. The point is if they want to carve Nvidia's market share by having low prices, as did with 1st gen TR4 against Intel's most lucrative consumer market. Effectively within 2 years forcing Intel to pull the plug of the X platform.

Venix likes this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think both Nvidia and AMD are going to have an hard time selling GPUs in the situation we are living.

And because of that, i believe we are going to see some pretty nice deals next month on black friday. And the same is going to happen during and after christmas.

After all, there are more important stuff than better graphics...

Agree.

I also think that AMD is going to pull a rabitt out of it`s ass due to the chiple design applied to GPUs.

Fediuld likes this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    AMD just need to give us a reasonable priced cards. The cost will be everything and rdna3 is allegedly much cheaper to make.

Fediuld likes this.
  15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    BTW just a quick question. Has Nvidia given up on the PCIe technology Resizable Bar?

The supported games list hasn't grown since 2021.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
    Battlefield V
    Borderlands 3
    Control
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Death Stranding
    DIRT 5
    F1 2020
    Forza Horizon 4
    Gears 5
    Godfall
    Hitman 2
    Hitman 3
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Metro Exodus
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Watch Dogs Legion

Is it still a thing on the 4000 series or not?

16. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    Nice card def at 4k, but it looks like I am going to stick with my 3090 ti. I got it for near nothing and compared to the prices of the 4090 I got it for about 80% cheaper than a 4090. If I lower my game settings to high/mid I can also get 180fps at 4k.

These cards will be selling at $4200 AUD while I got my 3090ti for $1100.

Also I dont know why everyone is jumping up and down about the performance, the performance is what we should expect as it has been happening every new Gen..

The 900-1000-2000-3000 all had about the same performance increase. So this is just a normal increase, nothing special here. Is it a good card yeah, but expected performance increase? Give me a card that is 500% faster, then I will jump up and down.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  17. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I'm sure they will, after all Lisa Su loves gamers more than profit.

18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    If that's the case, then it better be quite a bit cheaper. 10 to 15% isn't going to cut it or win market share. That's been proven in the past

19. Meathelix1

Meathelix1 Master Guru

GPU:
    10x 3090ti 24G
    If it is true this card is also being bottlenecked by CPU even the next gen CPU's will still be bottlenecking it. Give it 2 more years and then the card might be able to be used to its full potential but in the meantime, it will be cheaper in 2 years as well.

Nvidia needs a new crack pipe with these prices. haha

If we look at it the release of these cards is higher than what they were when crypto was booming. Esp the AIB partner cards.

They are all smoking z crack hard. Price drop incoming 3-6 months.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Fediuld likes this.
  20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    A slight generalisation yes but true all the same, and has been for a while. We all love the power of NV and Intel but for the most part, maybe even secretly we have all longed for AMD to pull rabbits out of hats.
    I wouldn't be suprised if the 7900xt is a bit cheaper but a bit less powerful producing a bit less heat with a bit less power draw,