Review: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2022.

1. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    If you have had already seen a teardown of the card with a bit of eclectrical knowledge, you would already knew, that an appropriate power mod is mandatory........sadly a 4090 is "still" tooooooo expensive.....

2. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    This has something to do with how Asus connected the CPU lanes to PCIe slots (or CPU_DIMM_slots) on Rampage VI APEX motherboard....and how Vroc is implemented, there are some configuration possibilities but it also depends on what kind of CPU is used, in my case:

PCIe3.0x16/x8_1... Hyper M.2 x16 card (Vroc 4x intel 512GB system boot drives) usually used for GPU
    PCIe3.0x8____2... empty
    PCIe3.0x4..............empty
    PCIe3.0x16/x8_3... R9 280x running x16
    PCeI3.0x8____4... R9 280x running x8 crossfire

look here:

APEX_VI.jpg

So, yes as you can see I am looking for a GPU upgrade...........

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Maddness and Dragam1337 like this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well at least you have certainly got your moneys worth out of those 280x's :p

And lucky the cosmos 2 has so many pcie slots, otherwise they would be sufficating!

brogadget likes this.
  4. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    :) it´s so odd (and sometimes sad) how world changed.... R9 280x 10 years ago... top tier $200.-. Now top tier $2000.- And the funny part: a year ago during covid home office, I could still sell my GPU used for $150.-......just insane...

Backstabak and mohiuddin like this.

5. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    The only reasonably priced RTX 4000 series card so far if you can afford it. "Only" US$100 more than its predecessor, the RTX 3090. Can't definitely say the same thing about the upcoming RTX 4080.

For just a 3-slot RTX 4090, thermals are also reasonably good which means you have some room left to insert another PCI card such as a sound card.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  6. Catspaw

Catspaw Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    That decision (overclocking being stupid) should not be yours to make for everyone else. Same idea for nVidia. You can claim that it is stupid, but when something you care about is taken away, someone will also say that what you care about is stupid.

Danny_G13 likes this.
  7. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    You know how many other things or people you can open for that price?! ;p

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Bingo. What someone likes or dislikes isn't for anyone else to tell them off for, it's a matter of taste. Reminds me of those people asking for help with their Android phone, and some *sshole replies 'buy an iPhone' or vice versa.

Help with what is asked, stop questioning the motives of their tastes or why they ask.

carnivore, The1 and Maddness like this.
  9. Catspaw

Catspaw Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    This sort of problem is really negative for consumers because we are fighting ourselves instead of telling companies to shove it.
    In the end, these companies can get away with almost anything this way (releasing expensive crap, releasing unfinished products, etc).

My biggest fear is that the only recourse left is legislation which tends to be used by the same companies by lobbing to keep competition out.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I don't think you really read his original post. What's a negative for consumers is if you can only get the max performance by doing aftermaket hacking as is done with traditional overclocking. The card should auto overclock itself to safe levels, giving 100% of the performance out of the box to everyone all the time. There should be no need to overclock. This is the way we are heading with both cpu's and gpu's.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    R9 280x was $300, and wasn't top tier. that'd go to the R 290X at $550 or the R9 295X2 at $1499. Personally, i'd say the R9 295X2 at $1499 was AMDs top tier, since that was the GPU they intended to be "the one"

Don't look at the past with rose tinted glasses

Maddness likes this.
  12. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    I bought my cards when 290x or 295x2 was not available yet at street price.
    But you make a great point!!! Those days, customers where very flexible: good stock, MSRP? lol wtf is MSRP? lol. Today you can´t even get a card even at MSRP in EU at least with scalpers you easily pay MSRPx 2 !!! Take down your pink rose glasses...

Edit: when looking back, you can always learn from the past...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  13. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Bingo 2. Reminds me to: "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".

14. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Cracked this btw - 4090 runs it quite happily. Great work getting this running on PC. It looks superb.

XenthorX likes this.
  15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Please consider refusing to use pre-production patches such as CP2077 DLSS3 in future reviews.

It's now nearly 3 months since Nvidia used it to show off the 4090 in what was the biggest game around at the time. However, it's still not available to paying customers. This practice stinks IMHO, it's false marketing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023

16. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    who cares, I'm playing Witcher 3 :D, then I will play CP2077 Phantom Liberty expansion when it drops anyways
    witcher3.jpg CP2077.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023