Review: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Catspaw

Catspaw Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    This sort of problem is really negative for consumers because we are fighting ourselves instead of telling companies to shove it.
    In the end, these companies can get away with almost anything this way (releasing expensive crap, releasing unfinished products, etc).

My biggest fear is that the only recourse left is legislation which tends to be used by the same companies by lobbing to keep competition out.

Maddness likes this.
  2. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I don't think you really read his original post. What's a negative for consumers is if you can only get the max performance by doing aftermaket hacking as is done with traditional overclocking. The card should auto overclock itself to safe levels, giving 100% of the performance out of the box to everyone all the time. There should be no need to overclock. This is the way we are heading with both cpu's and gpu's.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    R9 280x was $300, and wasn't top tier. that'd go to the R 290X at $550 or the R9 295X2 at $1499. Personally, i'd say the R9 295X2 at $1499 was AMDs top tier, since that was the GPU they intended to be "the one"

Don't look at the past with rose tinted glasses

Maddness likes this.
  4. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    I bought my cards when 290x or 295x2 was not available yet at street price.
    But you make a great point!!! Those days, customers where very flexible: good stock, MSRP? lol wtf is MSRP? lol. Today you can´t even get a card even at MSRP in EU at least with scalpers you easily pay MSRPx 2 !!! Take down your pink rose glasses...

Edit: when looking back, you can always learn from the past...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022

5. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Bingo 2. Reminds me to: "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".

6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Cracked this btw - 4090 runs it quite happily. Great work getting this running on PC. It looks superb.

XenthorX likes this.
  7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Please consider refusing to use pre-production patches such as CP2077 DLSS3 in future reviews.

It's now nearly 3 months since Nvidia used it to show off the 4090 in what was the biggest game around at the time. However, it's still not available to paying customers. This practice stinks IMHO, it's false marketing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    who cares, I'm playing Witcher 3 :D, then I will play CP2077 Phantom Liberty expansion when it drops anyways
    witcher3.jpg CP2077.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023