Review: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founder edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 15, 2022.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    It will go down to $999 when 7900 cards are released. Jensen just trying to milk it until then.

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If the DLSS3 version of Cyberpunk isn't riddled with bugs, howcome it hasn't been released yet?

DLSS3 is very much a paper launch which I guess is reasonable but then they big it up with these "reviewer beta" versions. It's a bit sketchy imho.

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Well demand will determine the price, Nvidia hoping FOMO crowd snap up these cards. Customers stop buying an eventually prices will have to fall. Crypto heated the graphics card market, so Nvidia think it's new normal price but eventually consumers will stop buying overpriced graphics cards an send clear signal reduce prices.

alanm likes this.
  4. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX3070ti FE
    Welcome to $499-599 xx60 series and $350-450 xx50 series generation.
    The fact that some people even try to justify this generation prices makes me think that this is only going to get worse.
    Generational improvement of 50-60% is irellevant if the price goes up by 50-60%. And then they start speaking about inflation, which if you do your research, was like 15% from last generation, not 60%......
    I had 3 good unbiased sources of hardware reviews. Gamers nexus, hardware unboxed and guru3d. But after seeing the conclusions and badge on this review i can say with confidence i only have 2 sources now...
    Edit: at least the comment section has descent mindset, apart from few super nvidia shills. Huge thumbs up for community here, and thumbs down for review.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Dribble, H83 and lukas_1987_dion like this.

5. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    same here, this fanboy hype during "release shows" or "pre-pre-pre-talk-talk-talk shows", with a blind "cheering audience" in the background "worshipping" a company is just crazy. I am not questioning GPU prices, whether they can be justified, imo hardware prices at all can´t be justified anymore, but reality is, prices are made by the customers themselves. Today, it´s all about "bling bling", image and marketing in "talk shows", it has nothing to do with component quality or new innovations anymore. Even if your reputation as a company gets counted, people (NV fanboys at most) switched off their minds, don´t care and buy your products like crazy. I am in a very luxurious position, I don´t need max fps, not a hardcore pro gamer, no need for RT or AI or content creating. I like a little fun with OC + fps for "my needs", for "my games". So, think will go for Intel this time. Want a third competitor in the boxing ring anyway, but let´s see what AMD has to offer first.

btw: It´s nice to see that I am not a "lonely rider", because this decision in most cases has nothing to do with your wallet, either way.

6. Catspaw

Catspaw Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Patrick Bateman:
    Very nice....Lets see AMD's card.

Picolete likes this.
  7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I just noticed I wrote the incorrect prices for the RTX 4080, around here. It's not starting at 1500 Euros.
    It's 2100 to 2521 Euros.

[​IMG]

8. ScreamerRSA

ScreamerRSA Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 TUF OC
    To make it worse. Doesn't seem like the great GPU "crash" even happened this time around with the mining GPU flood. :/

9. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    So mining is no longer the case, why we still have those crazy prices again?
    P.S. Does 4080 have the same *burning* problem like 4090? Or not since 4080 needs around 130w less so that means less heat..

10. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    We have the prices because people pay them, it's as simple as that. No matter if heat problems, crazy size, power draw, stupid adapter or whatever. (brains switched off).
    The word "Nvidia" alone works like an "off" switch for your brain.

Picolete likes this.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Duke

Even 999 is still too much for this card.
    While I also disagree with the recommendation, we have to remember that Hilbert has critized Nvidias pricing several times and he did it again on this review.

Picolete and xIcarus like this.
  12. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Yep, sometime in future, maybe HH can add the word "Intel" to his profile GPU:...AMD I NVIDIA I INTEL...

13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Unless to are privy to NVs business strategy regarding profit margins, you don't know exactly why a specific price has been set. It's common business practice to run a set profit margin (%) above total per unit production costs. If those costs rise and that includes research, manufacture, packaging, advertising etc etc then then sales price will increase proportionately. If they lower that percentage then they may have to answer to their investors and shareholders.

14. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    In his review, Hilbert was quite confident that even at this price, they will sell bucketloads. If that turns out to be true, prices will continue to go one way unfortunately.

xIcarus likes this.
  15. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Sapphire Tri-x
    I think 800 to 850 would had been the right price, but that is just an opinion, im sure this thing will still sell

16. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    食人鬼
    Should be a fun GPU for Darktide when it releases

Undying likes this.
  17. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    食人鬼
    People usually buy the best they can afford.

Its for entertainment purposes, so who cares how much other ppl spend or not?

It seems pointless to be bent out of shape by other peoples purchasing decisions.

Maybe this will help:

pegasus1 likes this.
  18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    If they sell all they can make, that means the price is right or indeed less than it might have been. Try buying something like a Porsche GT3 RS and asking for a discount, they can charge £200k cos there's a queue a mile long to buy them.
    Top tier GPUs are no different, we pay or we dont pay.
    On the flip side, my PS5 cost less than my Amiga did :D:D:D:D:D, I just wish the games cost the same as back then ha ha ha

19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Is this a FPS, looks cool if so.

AuerX likes this.
  20. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    食人鬼
    Yes, solo or Co-Op