Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan-Z

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

The only reason I could see someone opting for a 295x2 or Titan Z for gaming would be due to space constraints, maybe a LAN machine or a high powered HTPC that they want to keep as discrete as possible. Still, even then I'd probably opt for a single GPU card and turn a few settings down.

2. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    you mean lack of sli capability, no? because the titan z cooler is silly, 3 slot wth. it's almost as bad as having a sli space-wise.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

Mostly. Still have a hangover from last night to be honest, but you'd still be saving on space with a 3 slot card compared to running two cards separately. I'm not saying it's a setup I would advocate, but I do know people that cram hardware like that into small cases.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what the 20nm GPU's will be capable of whenever AMD and Nvidia releases them, seems to be some issues with that but hopefully they will have something out by early to mid 2015 even if it might just be information and not a actual released product. :)

Also really impressed by the performance of the Titan Z (And R9 295) although it's cost is way over what I would spend on a GPU, then again it's probably like that for a majority of normal gamers since this is a more niche product.
    (Which is again why I'm looking forward to what the next generation GPU's will be capable of.)

5. cala86

cala86 Guest

Hi everybody and many thanks to Mr. Hagedoorn for his great reviews. My 1st post here.My opinion about this card, is that i found very difficult to understand the meaning of this absurd price/performance ratio. It is even not a monster in performance. Maybe too much wine during meals at nvidia hq :D

But i have a question. In your opinion, What would be the performance of this card (or even a 295x2) mounted on a pci-e 2.0.system? Would be bottlenecked by a pci-e 2.0 bus? I need this information to understand how futureproof is my x58+xeon x5650 rig from the pci-e bandwith point of view.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

From a pci-e bandwidth point of view, you would see a slight performance decrease. We're talking a small percentage here. It wouldn't be anything to write home about, it's still perfectly viable to run a card like this with PCI-E 2.0 in my opinion. It should run well with your system, you have a decent overclock on it from what I'm looking at. In games that aren't as heavily multithreaded you might see a little loss, but again it'd be nothing to write home about. Games are starting to see better multithreading, and your system should shine in that regard. If you're thinking of going with a card like this, or a crossfire/sli setup in general, I'd say go for it. Your rig should be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  7. samm00

samm00 Member

GPU:
    3G
    Useless card, can't beat a 295x2 and cost 2 of this one.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

Discounting price them two cards are very close performance wise. Read the review from the 1st page.

9. samm00

samm00 Member

GPU:
    3G
    Those cards are meant to be used for 4k gaming not 1080
    and how will pay 3k card to play at 1080 . :3eyes:

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

I dont play at 1080 bro. I play at 1440 100hz vsync.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    4K gaming does not exist.

I stand to be corrected, but the texture maps are no larger than 2K, with the majority of games running 1K textures.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

And? Do you mean that you are playing games where than 1k texture is stretched over entire 2560x1440 screen?
    1k textures provide a lot of details.

And btw, I remember Doom 3 having monsters with textures:
    Color map - normal texture
    Bump map
    specular map
    shadow map

Each with resolution 4k x 4k. And if I remember correctly bosses had 8k x 8k.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Mods stretched the original textures in various attempts to improve quality, vanilla version used 512x512 and some 1024x1024 as it's highest resolution from what I remember though the main improvement came when using Ultra quality since this switched over to the .TGA textures instead of the (lossy) .DDS compressed ones but at a much higher VRAM requirement.
    (Thus why the game wanted 512 MB for that setting - which was a lot back in 2004.)

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    What I'm getting at is games are designed for 1080p.

Simply because someone is putting it on a 2160p display doesn't change that, nor would it change if it were 480p

15. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

Only just got round to reading this.

Good review as always, not surprising reading that's for sure!

I really hope they sell badly. The price is ridiculous. There is no logical reason to having one for gaming.

16. cala86

cala86 Guest

Thanks for the answer!

17. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    I am proud to be the owner of a GTX 590; the final reasonable-ish priced dual GPU card from nVidia before the company went daffy with its pricing strategy.

18. Veteran

Veteran Guest