Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 9, 2017.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Damn i wish i was rich!

Good card and good review.

2. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Still wondering which kidney to sell, having two is definitely overrated anyway :(

3. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Linustechrips did 1800x vs 7700k in their video review of the 1080ti, all at 4K.
    7700k edged all benchmarks iirc except GTAV which Ryzen had better min fps.

Shame they didn't overclock them both aswell to replicate what I suspect most people would do having such cpus.

4. jdc2389

jdc2389 Member Guru

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Ah, so nvidia lied when they said it came from the factory with a 2062mhz boost at the announcement event in SF. Not surprising. I'm sure they gimped it's OC potential with resistors and bios limits again. I almost laughed during the presentation when they brought up async compute as a feature.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The people who buy the Titan cards know what the story is so won't be disappointe, and a Titan is likely pocket change for many of them.

This does seem like a great card though, the first card that makes 4k look viable and caters to 1440/120 consumers.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    https://youtu.be/KcVwzM_NiVc?t=1732

He clearly says its overclocked.. but I guess it's cooler to just make stuff up.

And they brought up Async Compute as a feature because they just migrated a bunch of their technologies over to utilizing it. They locked the bios presumably because overvolting would damage the card and then people, probably people like you, complain about it and RMA cards for damage that they did.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    My heart really goes to those poor Titan XP owners who still have the fastest card on the planet, and have been robbed by Nvidia and forced to play at 4k, or 1440/120Hz maxed for all these months

Its good to hear they have not been forgotten

LMAO /sarcasm

8. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Hilbert, my man, do you have a DB rating for the audio levels once it was overclocked at 65% fan speed?

Thanks!

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's sad you have to tag that as sarcastic lol.

Feeling sorry for Titan owners is feeling sorry for rich people.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Or like when poorest of the poor fight for lower taxes for abominably rich

srry for offtopic, :)

11. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Massive review Hilbert, thanks a million I still think you do the best reviews out or everyone on the NET.

Man I really want a 1080 Ti, if I can mange it I am going to get the MSI gaming series one, any idea when they will go up for sale? You mentioned in a week or three, I hope so.

12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I guess GTX Volta70 will bring 4K gaming to mainstream with performance level of GTX 1080 Ti.

13. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I don't understand why it says it's not good for 1920x1080 and that anybody playing at that resolution would be cpu limited when every single test in this review with the exception of DOOM clearly shows that even at 1920x1080 the gpu is the limiting factor, not the cpu. There were huge improvements in every game at 1080 over the lower gpu's.

14. jdc2389

jdc2389 Member Guru

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Ah, I rescind my statement about the card not being OCed and it was 2038 hm, my memory is ****. https://youtu.be/L9ZSnI9woWg?t=28m6s that's a proper youtube link btw that one actually works. I was falling asleep at this presentation hahaha. Oh and I think I can speak for anyone about being salty with the OC limits. It was literally impossible without modding the bios because of Vrel or Util. Oh and because of the bios modding I have some weird bios quirks like the card not showing it's real software voltage or clocking slightly lower than what it was set to.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    $1200 card is beaten by a $700 card by the same company after 10 months when they had the ability and saw the need to release what they needed to release at the price point they saw would be best for sales. What's so surprising?

People who buy Titans don't need anyone's pity. They knew exactly what they were buying. The fastest GeForce gaming GPU at the time of release for the highest sum of money.

If you have a problem with the Titan's price point, well, don't buy Titans. But don't breathe down the necks of those who do.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    That's because the framerates at 1080p are often in excess of 144FPS and only two 1080p monitors go beyond 144Hz, to 240Hz, where diminishing returns apply.

To put things in perspective, you would be choosing between a 1080p 240Hz TN panel with not-so-great color quality while you could easily be cruising along with a 1440p 165Hz IPS panel with the best of all worlds, so to speak.

It would also be the case for quite a few titles that even with a very fast CPU, you would not be getting the full potential of this GPU, even if the averages are higher (the minima might still be the same and the maxima might not be higher than the CPU allows).

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    One does not know how high a price the market will bear until total units sold start to dip because of price. Why on earth would anyone keep prices low when evidence shows higher prices will be tolerated? Obviously there is a point to where the difference in performance is not worth it. Has it been forgotten that as soon as a product hits the shelves, it is already outdated? Something better is always around the corner.

EDIT: One always buys the best their budget allows. Fortunately, one cannot miss what has never been experienced.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  18. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Cooling and noise:

I like the blower design because it puts less load on the case ventilation.

HOWEVER, I am amazed that at this price level NVidia does so poorly with the metal strip holding the air exit vent, video connectors etc. It looks like a 1980 product. The ribs forming the vent are simply stamped flat metal, with square edges. With so much air going past, these ribs would create much less noise if they were thin, rounded elements e.g. a wire mesh. Besides that, the grille could be more open - it only needs to prevent a finger going in, and even then you couldn't reach the fan blades.

Not an airflow engineer but it seems clear that for almost no extra cost NVidia could have done much better on this metric. If they can design a 12 billion transistor chip, why can't they design a metal grille? If I did buy one of these I'd want to nurg out the whole area and just leave a big hole. That should improve airflow as well, and reduce what throttling there is.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I have to disagree, people who want to run at 120FPS. Even if the CPU can't keep up, it shouldn't have trouble hitting 120FPS.

Then there's Fast-Sync for online games that can run at very high framerates to ditch the tearing you get while still having super low latency.

But also, it makes sense for 1080p if you are still playing DX9 games with SGSSAA. As even on these high end cards, 8xSGSSAA at 1080p can push them very very hard depending on the game.

Then there's the scenario where one has a 1080p monitor but they use downsampling from 4k or higher or downsampling in combination with forced AA.

There's plenty of scenarios where 1080p makes sense with a card like this.

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, it isn't "bugs"--it's actually optimization and compilers. That will take a few weeks to get sorted--it's a brand-new architecture and it isn't
    a copy of Intel's, for sure...;) So, that's why it needs game code optimization along with its own compilers (as was also true of Athlon.) As you note, the power is there--it's just the optimizations that need to happen now.