Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I'm throwing money at my screen right now. (but no, I won't get the FE)

Thing is, I really contemplated sticking to my 1070 considering how things were looking, but since this 1080Ti turned out to have a much better price/performance ratio than I anticipated, the temptation is just too damn big. :O

I'm still on 1440p (still waiting for a worthy monitor to upgrade), so a card like this will likely last 2 years at ultra setting, so there's that too.

2. labidas

labidas Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870
    this one goes to eleven!!

3. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Where is Mankid Divided 2560x1440 RyZen´s performance? lol

Nvidia: Sorry Fanboys that bought Titan X Pascal, today we have a better card at lower price :bang: :nerd:

trollololol :infinity:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sharp eyes ! fixed.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I'm sure there are like 5 Titan X users that are upset -- but the vast majority of Titan X sales are in servers. I doubt those companies care.

6. mattm4

mattm4 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Man I know a few Titan X users who are not happy with their decision right now. Interesting to see how the 1080ti is faster than the titan X, but I think the gaps between the 1080, and Titan x (up until now) wasn't really that big, and the 1080ti wouldn't have been a good selling point if it fell any lower in performance.

But didn't think it would be this powerful! Goes to show you dont buy the most expensive video card the moment it comes out.

7. mattm4

mattm4 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I'm lazy and should go and look, but was the 980ti this close to or better in some cases than the Titan X (maxwell) ?

8. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980 Ti WF
    kinder following in intel's footsteps small boost big price

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Titans have never been good values, unless you happen to make your own software that depends on FP64 and like to play games once in a while. That is a very niche market. Generally speaking, it's stupid to play games on your main workstation, and if you're using any commercial applications that depend on FP64, the GeForce drivers will cripple the performance (where you'd be better off with Quadro/Tesla GPUs instead).

I never understood why people buy Titans.

10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Very nice but still 2016 level performance, and the Quadro 6000 is still faster :p.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The first Titan made a lot of sense, the rest are just glorified gaming cards. People do whatever they want with their money though. Hell, if I could, I would have my Titan XP SLI rig already :D

Nice card, the pricing is interesting too. I believe that apart from the obvious beastly performance, NVIDIA is also helping us understand the performance and price of Vega here, or at least their estimate for it. Interesting times ahead.

12. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    That 11GB is making me twitch slightly.

@Hilbert: Noticed you've highlighted Titan X on the GoW 4 bench -

[​IMG]

13. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    GPU performance seems pretty much as expected. Cooler performance doesn't seem to have changed much in spite of the removal of the DVI connector.

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    There's no point in digging deeper into this before the bugs are sorted out. AMD and MS are already aware of it, as are the game developers, so eventually the situation will become better. How much better, who knows, but since the CPU performs well in heavily multi-threaded applications, beating twice as expensive Intels, they do have the power.

15. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Thank you for a great review HH.

Especially for the Ryzen test. Thanks for taking the extra time.

Much appreciated.

16. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The 5960X is OC on 8 cores to 4300mhz ( from stock 3.5ghz ) , the 1800X at 4000mhz ( on 8 cores ). Only TR show weird numbers,( maybe more affected by the scheduler bug ). when other difference ( including 3Dmark ) seems more caused by the difference in clock speed.

As for the 1080Ti... Well it is basically a TitanXP with a price cut, the memory cut will dont do much.. faster clock, so .. well you got the picture... its good to see it at around 700$ who bring the TitanXP performance at a way more affordable level.

17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    This is one review i was waiting for ! Great review Hilbert. This really is a pixel pushing monster :D , very nice card.

18. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Thanks for the comprehensive review. And especially for including the Ashes of Singularity results which matter to me! Run with your super CPU that benchmark certainly does differentiate between the GPUs, and also shows us the best achievable results in that DX12 game today. Can't think why you'd consider leaving it out.

19. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    A good card for all the fancy screens that have been coming out in 4K, curved 21:9 etc...

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    So that extra exhaust space doesn't do shizle, same 84C lol.