Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders edition graphics card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2016.

1. qgshadow

qgshadow Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI 2560x1440
    EK Facebook post

2. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    link ?

PM me, or go to the async compute thread, and please get to the point :D

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    That would make sense, might also be why the overclocking results on this reference card aren't what everyone was expecting. If that turns out to be true it would make the price premium even more questionable...

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    guys, fyi i posted a link to the pcper livestream in the 1080gtx thread

starting now!!

5. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    the more i read the review the more i feel less overwhelmed

6. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTA 5 scores from guru3d benchmark
    1080GTX- 159 fps
    980GTX- 88 fps

These GTA5 scores are too high. Here are results from maxed out gta5, from "benchmark.pl" site

gta5 maxed out

1080p res
    980GTX- 52 avg., 42 fps min.
    1080GTX- 77 avg., 59 fps min

See the difference? With maxed out settings this game is very demanding.

GTA5 4K res
    980GTX- 25 fps avg., min 5 fps
    1080GTX- 48 fps avg., min 42 fps
    that difference in minimal fps is just HUGE

And some very big gains compared to the 980GTX are visible not only in gta5, but in NFS (2016) benchmark

NFS (2016) 4K res
    1080GTX- 55 fps avg., min 42 fps
    980GTX- 23 fps avg., min 15 fps

1080GTX totally destroys 980GTX in NFS, well over 2x as fast in avg. fps, and also minimal fps is very impressive compared to 980GTX.

7. KFBR392

KFBR392 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X 4GB
    :stewpid: Performing dependent instruction in a successive order is serial. :stewpid:

This is completely typical of today's forums regarding hardware. Shills on every side polarizing the community. You cannot engage in fair criticism of any product without having their shills show up to zealously defend their product of choice. Not only did I show that AMD's current implementation of Async compute is so far seemingly better (even though that was my secondary point initially), but also the points about how poorly the 1080 fares when looking at non-reference 980Ti's @ 4K resolutions (+9% 1080 stock and +15% max OC). It's a good chip, but it's not the 2nd coming like some people are claiming.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I missed one result in the Ashes benchmark, yet updated that like two hours ago already. You need to wonder who really has the bias there ... ?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Pipeline actually does, but actual hard real work is done in parallel.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I will have to find the link, but there were some brave people who added a 6-pin molex to the pinouts of the 750's that didn't come with one, so it maybe something people might do in the future.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I wouldn't be bothered by it. The AMD subreddit has turned into a giant circle jerk in the past 6 months or so. The other day, there were almost as many posts on their frontpage about Nvidia as there were for AMD. Sometimes I have a hard time telling the difference between /r/AyyMD and the AMD subreddit itself. Doom performance is bad? Must be sabotage by Nvidia despite a driver coming out a week later and fixing it.

12. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    In the future think before replying like a smartass

agreed

thank you fox

They would have found another thing to complain about even if you hadn't

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 - RX 590
    Exactly , you catch my drift :thumbup: , no doubt this is the fastest video card in the market right now and Nvidia is doing all it can to charge more and more money: 1- Paying $100 dollars for reference video cards just because they changed the name to Founders Edition $$$$$. 2- People will have to pay to get a key to run 3 way and 4 way SLI without official support or any kind of optimizations for it at their own risk $$$$$. 3- People will have to pay for that new high bandwidth bridge that only support 2 way SLI $$$$$. 4. The price for GTX 1080 a Mid-range performance video card it is too expensive , bare in mind 1080Ti and Titan will be coming soon $$$$$. 5. If you believe the AIB Aftermarket improved versions of this GTX 1080 video card will cost less than the reference + $100 US Dollars Founders Edition $700 US Dollars you are in for a big surprise , yes they will cost more $$$$$.

All of this because there is no competition for Nvidia right now and there won't be any until AMD Big Vega comes out in 2017 so they are taking advantage of people who bite the bullet and pays blindly $$$$$ for whatever price they ask without even thinking about it , well not me , i'm well aware where this is heading and i don't like it one bit. Let's hope AMD does not get so greedy and hungry for money as nvidia because then we all will pay for it and i will be going back to other hobbies that i have instead of trowing money $$$$$ into this companies to play a few games.
    [​IMG]

14. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Strix OC
    Oh, that's lame..hopefully more power delivery will fix that

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gpgpu performance?
    d3d12 driver capabilities?

just saying...

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I've quickly browsed through a few reviews and I'm impressed. I'm expecting 3rd party 1080 will improve cooling, also power delivery will improve. We'll definitely see a 2nd pci-e connector soon enough.

Great looking card which will only improve in the next couple of months with drivers. Will sell insane amounts. Shame there's no competition to curb the pricing a little bit.

17. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Yeah, I'm waiting.

Alessio btw could you clear something up for me, each ACE on GCN can address any of the CU am I right ? Let's say one CU is currently busy with tasks from the graphics queue and there is a utilization bubble I can fill, can the ACEs address individual SIMD-VU units within the CUs ?

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    You've been into this a long time, you should know had this been AMD with the big-cock card, then, they would charge in the same way. Whoever has the top-card charges a premium for it. AMD is no different, they're a company, not our friends, despite them trying to manipulate people into thinking they charge less. They only charge less when they're not as strong as the competition.

While we all know there's going to be better cards in 6months (like always), I think it's absurd to call the GTX1080 a mid-range card. Mid-range against what that's out today? Nothing. We could use the same mentality for every next-gen product...which would justify not buying anything at all. :nerd:

19. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I read it just fine you reading on your phone?

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that pretty nice, though I will well never pay that for gpu, hell I once bought a 670gtx which was $399 was nice card but I sent it back cause it just worth the price.

and prices seem to be up lately I mostly interested in xx60 cards maybe xx70 if the price is right but I really want HB2 or atlest gddr5x on my next card I will never need more then 60fps cause I will probably never get monitor that does 120hz, 60hz and gsync maybe