1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders edition graphics card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2016.

1. Merlena

Merlena Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+
    I'm happy with my 980 Ti. With G-Sync, I'm pretty much good until they release something that surpasses this.

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Really... why crushing dreams NVIDIA?

Based on MSRP i expect €650,- here in Holland, that's including the 21% BTW. But i'm guessing it will be €700,- : /

Maybe i should look into a 1070 instead, since i'm only on 1200p anyways.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Probably a dummy price tag, the listing has disappeared anyway. Wait for final prices when cards are actually available.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Its an early adopters tax. You want MSRP you'll get that, just need to wait longer for it.

5. WeSbO

WeSbO Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    There is one guy you can go to to get well thought out opinions and plenty technical details on the topic at hand, they backs up everything he says : AdoredTV on youtube, he puts up 15 to 20 min videos to explain things, and he is very interesting.

6. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Oh dear god not AdoredTV, the guy is facetious as ****, and the problem is he makes himself sound like he's totally honest.

He made a two part video called 'amd master plan' or something and there was so much BS analysis in there it made me nauseous. He just uses the information we all have access to, including rumors on wccf and videocardz dot com...

Anyway in this master plan video he claims multi-gpu consoles will destroy nvidia because developers won't optimize for single gpu, lol.

He also suggests a defect on a die means the die is a dud... Anyway, let's be honest here, if these people doing video analysis on YouTube were qualified to make all these claims and analyze and understand the hardware they wouldn't be living off youtube videos

7. WeSbO

WeSbO Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    He never said a defect on a die means a dud (if it meets the required specs it is not considered a defect), he mentions it can be cut down. And this is 100% true, AMD and Nvidia do this. A 980 that does not meet specs is a 970 (if possible) that is why larger dies are way more expensive, and why titan Xs cost an arm and a leg, because ther are fewer usable dies on a waffer (this is not new knowledge). But in the case of the APUs for consoles if the die doesn't meet specs, it is a dud, it will not be used for anything else.

AMD have for a long time claimed that they want to harness the power in every compute chip in a computer, and they are trying to push that.

I don't see a problem in analyzing information that is made available and giving an opinion about it (isn't that the point of a review for example). The main info was based on reputable sites, and it seems logic that they would try to take advantage of the console situation that at the moment they are the only ones to be able/willing to offer at a console price range due to their past choices. Will they achieve that, that is a completely different question that can't be answered.

You seem to be aggravated...

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  8. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    'the 50 defects have rendered one third of the wafer unusable' 11:00-12:00

https://youtu.be/aSYBO1BrB1I

I understand he's dumbing it down for his audience, but this is outright false information.

This is the same guy who proclaimed that pascal is 'more gcn-like' because it fits the narrative he's selling and there's superficial evidence (Shader count per SM) to support this.

Bet seeing 128/SM on gp104 was a pretty good shafting for him

9. WeSbO

WeSbO Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    That info was not false (he was talking about 980s and Titan Xs), 50 dies where not up to spec 50 could not be 980s, unusable as 980s

he mentionned before in part one (and probably again) that dies can be reused as cut down dies (talking about 680s)

https://youtu.be/0ktLeS4Fwlw?t=1046

He is giving an opinion, on what he thinks may happen, and saying why he thinks those things, he is not a prophet throwing around prophecies...

EDIT : On your video around 10:30 he even says "defects CAN render GPUs unusable" it is true a defect may not be able to be cut down, but he was talking in relation to the Titan X

There is a thin line in between dumbing down and not being able to read between the lines and understand correctly...

10. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    He said they're **unusable**, either way, just because there's a defect doesn't mean it's gonna be cut down. Even Titan Xs have defects, defects can simply reduce the maximum effective clock, defects could disable a whole SM entirely , you could get a defect in the gcp that renders the whole die unusable...

The only honest thing he could have said is 'as die size increases, the average number of defects per die increases'

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Idk, I watched his gameworks video and he brought up the Crysis 2 tessellation thing which has been debunked a billion times, even by a cryengine developer. The AMD masterplan video, was something that was discussed on this forum like 4 years ago when GCN launched in consoles. We predicted then that they would use their dominance in consoles to push the technology that they wanted, Nvidia would have to play catch-up.

The small die thing isn't anything new either.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2556/2

Granted tossing two of them onto a interposer is a cool new idea, but Raja basically alluded to it in his pc per interview, a month before adored's AMD Master Plan video. I mean it's great that he summarized it and put it out there, but we've had discussions about it on this forum. PrimeMinsterGR talked about it long before Adored did.

Also I'm pretty sure it's confirmed that PS4 Neo is just one GPU at this point. So yeah, maybe there will be a Navi multi-GPU system, but I doubt a PS5 is coming like a year after PS Neo, so it will be 3-4 years before we see any dual GPU console, plenty of time for Nvidia to consider the tech.

Honestly his FE 1080 video fairly educating, though i feel his conclusion is biased, I didn't realize that it throttles down like it does with a stock fan profile. Granted Nvidia can just update the profile and fix the problem -- but I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about it. In Metro @ 4K the card drops from ~1800 to ~1600 after about 5 minutes due to thermal throttling. Of course Tom doesn't show a framerate graph over that time period though, because terrible journalism, but yeah -- Nvidia should ramp the fan up quicker. Regardless, Adored writes off the FE as being bad, but really all it needs is an updated fan profile.

12. WeSbO

WeSbO Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    He said unusable in a context, a context of a 2 part video, I had no trouble understanding that a defect die could be used as a cut down die.

A defect die means that it will not meet their requirement to be sold as said GPU. so also including clock speeds (they want to leave OC headroom) if a titan X chip is on a Titan X card that means it met their requirements (which could quite well, and probably be quite high). Some furys can be flashed to fury x's, that means that fury chip did not meet their required specs that are high (I guess to avoid after-sales problems), if they could have made it a fury X they would probably have.

13. WeSbO

WeSbO Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    Yeah that is basically what i'm saying, his information was nothing new, but he did the work to put it all together, whether he is right or wrong that has yet to be seen.

I personnaly do not agree with everything that he says, but he puts up a lot of technical info, which is very informative, then people make their own conclusions from that. the 1080 video confirmed to me that Nvidia probably had the fans at 100% and where on an open test bench to get 2140ish mhz at 64°

14. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

This^

However I found a used 970SE for $180 on craigslist so used 9xx cards$ are coming down and that is good for people like me...:D

15. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    I dislike all the YouTube hardware people equally

16. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Just wondering. Does the 1080 do anything that my water cooled pair of Titan X's don't?
    Yes, I read the entire article, I think, but may have somehow missed that there is actually some reason to upgrade (?) to one or more 1080's to take up any slack.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Two 1080's would be faster, but overall, no. Probably not worth upgrading until Vega/Big Pascal.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    If you have a multi monitor setup for gaming and / or are planning on going VR, not much really. You'd get a performance increase with 1080 SLi so if you really need that and have the spare cash, go for it.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Aelders the uncorking guide ( Volt Modding Guide ) for the GTX 1080 has been completely done and released. Check this link and check it out: http://forum.kingpincooling.com/showthread.php?t=3879

Now wait and see all the World records of 3DMark fall on hwbot :D

20. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Yeah I saw it :) awesome stuff, was really confused when I read shrrr shrrr Rofl then I got it

I'd love to do this stuff, can't afford the risk unfortunately, I don't even have a wc loop :p