Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders edition graphics card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2016.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    wow thats one awkward video

2. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    The whole PCPer feature with Tom was awkward. In fact, I don't even know why Tom keeps featuring in these things. Tom should stay in the ****ing office :p

3. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    The card gets about 90 frames avg in crysis 3 maxed out vs 50 for a 980.

That is as big an improvement generation to generation as there has been in a long time, and I would know...gtx 280 to 480 to 670 to 680 to 780 to 970 and none of those upgrades have been as big as this.

Got a 980 ti....sure, don't buy one, it doesn't make sense, but the improvement for me is massive, although it still remains to be seen what retail prices will be here in AUS, we pay the F U tax...which is $US + currency conversion...+ 30% for no reason.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Idk, I think Tom's fine. He does a good job at enthusiastically explaining the detailed stuff to people who aren't going to understand it. He does screw up a bit when speaking, but w/e, it's not that big of a deal. Plus he's the guy that conceptualized a lot of the newer display technologies for Nvidia.

The marketing people look pretty dumb in that video, they had like no clue how to handle that question at all, which like blows my mind. I find it hard to believe that no one in that office thought "well how are we going to sell a $100 premium on an average card to customers". Like if they really thought "premium craftsmanship" was going to be enough, they are morons.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah. I just double checked some 1440p charts in the review... Every game where I get sub 60fps (TW3, GTAV, Tomb Raider etc) absolutely flies on the 1080. Talking 90-110 fps vs my 45-55fps. I'm going to wait for the 1070 and buy one as soon as the AIB versions surface. If it's 20% slower than the 1080, or so, it'll be a great upgrade for me.

About the pricing, like you said, when you run a business, all you do is make a decent product or deliver a service and then look at how much you can sell it for. Unfortunately there's nothing from AMD atm to make nVidia sell these cards cheaper so nVidia will charge what they think they can afford.

No doubt these cards will sell because there's a lot of people with 980 or below that will see a massive upgrade.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its only logical to compare it with 980ti, the big card from last gen. Also, 980 was never even close to this pricing of 1080. Some are unable comprehend that.

7. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega64
    People have no clue what they're doing. That's my point. I'll put money on the table for a bet that more than 66% of all users don't even use half of the capacity they paid for. Core i7's, GTX1080's, A gazilion amount of DDR4 RAM, ...
    And then they go and play League of Legends on a 27 inch monitor at 400fps ... :nerd:

But that has always been a bit "part of the game" with enthousiasts. Any modern CPU of the last 3-4 years will push these videocards to their potential. And anything from and above GTX980 is ridiculous really, unless you can actaully put that power to use like in VR or on a monster size monitor.

I can understand the feeling in having awesome power beneath the fingertips though.

8. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega64
    Do you have a window ? If yes => open and throw money out.

1440p and a GTX1080 ...:eyes:

9. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    It was close to this pricing on launch, effectively I mean. The MSRP was $150 lower than the "FE", but the actual price you could buy them at was inflated because of high demand.

We have yet to see pricing for normal non-reference models

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    • 980 $549
    • 1080 founders edition $699
    • 1080 AIB $599
    • 780 $649
    • FuryX $649
    • R9 290X $549
    • HD 7970 $549

The 1080 AIB price is only $50 more than that of the $549 980. Nothing much wrong with the pricing compared with the previous few generations of top end gpus, as you see above.

11. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080
    Dismissing misbehavior as "being a business" is unacceptable. Being a business does not absolve them of being decent. We can and should demand they do better, and hold them accountable when they don't, as it appears in this case.

At this point I reserve full judgement for release, but there is no indication or reason any partner will hit the 599 price point. If they don't, then Nvidia lied and they should be held accountable.

12. moeppel

moeppel Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
  13. stefpats

stefpats Member

GPU:
    NvidiaGeForce2080Ti

So this is top end? and what about upcoming 1080Ti and new titan?you sir have messed up everything.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Anyone else find it curious how much better GTX 1080 is in DX12 benches compared to 980 Ti / Titan X?

The core architecture is about the same in Pascal and Maxwell isn't it?
    Judging by FireStrike graphics score the GTX 1080 is about equal to a highly overclocked 980 Ti (1.5+ GHz) for "raw performance".

15. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Yeah but according to the PR buffoon Denial posted, we can expect many of the AIB cards to be more than the 699 FE price. It's all psyops anyways. Create the illusion of value with words like "Founders Edition", hold back the release of lower cost board partner cards and just shift that median price further along the x axis. Just like Titan made 780's exorbitant price seem reasonable to many. Nvidia is a slick business and they're masters at screwing people out of their money and to be honest high end pc gamers are some of the most gullible, fiscally undisciplined people around. AMD is not any better, just less successful. Fury X imo is an overpriced, underperforming disappointment.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    The FE is reference no matter how they spin the name. msrp 599 is for 2017. Board partners will for sure cash in and sell their better cooled cards at higher price then the FE...

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    It is top end/high end as of now no matter how you spin it. New top/high end comes in 6months+ simple as that. Even tho we could really just go with Enthusiast for likes of 1080ti and high end for 1080 and so forth.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Looks like they weren't kidding, this does perform close to 980SLI.
    Impressive performance, but disappointed by the temps. Lesson to be learned from that is: reference is reference, no matter how they name it.
    Mental clock speeds however.

That being said, the card throttles down from its overclock indicating that there's most likely either a software or hardware power limit being reached. I incline towards hardware.

The price is a very stupid move from Nvidia. What I fear is that AIB partners will ignore the $599 MSRP and price their cards around Founders Edition's which would be very bad.
    Which at the end of the day wouldn't be ridiculous from their perspective, custom 1080s are very likely to perform better.

Nvidia really didn't think this through. This is another sign that they're only interested in profit, not the customer - and this is frankly starting to piss me off, especially after having first hand experience with their lies (970).
    I know Nvidia is a business, not a charity; but this is retarded. I will probably skip this generation.

And pardon my French but why the f*ck are they increasing the 1070 price as well?

Edit: Almost forgot, I'm not surprised about the lack of full parallel compute support, I advocate the idea that AMD hyped this technique way too much relative to its limited use case. The hopes of gaining a substantial amount of performance seems limited to a handful of games from where I stand.

Hah, glad to see I'm not the only one under the same impression.
    I used to go to /r/AMD and /r/Nvidia to get both camps' opinions regarding different topics, like this launch - it's interesting to migrate from /r/pcgaming and /r/pcmasterrace from time to time.
    It's practically impossible to get any meaningful opinions from /r/AMD. /r/Nvidia is very civilized by comparison. PCMR had been flooded with such circlejerk action at some point but it fortunately overcame.

I just don't see the point of fanboyism. If you ask me it's closely related to console peasantry.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Paul's Hardware did a review of the 1080 vs 2 980s, 980 ti and a Fury X. And the results of the benchmarks were surprising at least to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdzZzSzF2I

However maybe the AIB versions of the 1080s maybe a different story.

20. Kharon

Kharon New Member

GPU:
    R9 280X Toxic
    Never been to the subreddits you mentioned. But i've seen techsites, where the situation is the opposite.
    But you are somewhat right about the peasantry metaphor. Although i think there are healthy limits to "fanboyism", but sadly too often people seem to go way over it.

There those who watch the game just for the action, those who are there to see will their team win, and those who throw flares and beat up people.