Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders edition graphics card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2016.

1. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    I don't want to be an *******, but I said I expected nvidia do be much more aggressive with clocks this time round. Maxwell was clocked relatively conservatively.

More importantly I said I expected people to complain that there's less headroom, hahaha.

I'm really enjoying this interview thing, it seems like they focused their efforts on critical path optimization to allow for higher clocking. At the end of the day, NV has economy of scale to it's advantage, sum that with the much higher clocks and they have relatively (for the node) inexpensive products performing incredibly well.

The founder's edition is extremely simple, reference parts were limited in availability because they were outclassed and outpriced.
    Now the reference edition has a better power delivery, it has a vapor chamber cooler, and it's gonna cost $699 so it doesn't compete with AIB solutions.

lol that async compute part was hilarious

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes, wasn't GCN Gen 1 and beyond at CU with wave granularity? I do not remember if gen 2 or gen 3 improved it in some way...
    If I understand it correctly, Pascal should be at a very similar level (streaming multiprocessor), but I am not sure about the scheduler efficiency.
    So yes, starting with Pascal we should see at least no more performance degradation with asynchronous jobs of different types (graphics and compute)... And I also hope NV starts to think about delegating the driver for maxwell 1/2 GPUs like should happen on Kepler...
    But I am disappointed - at least for now (let's hope in a future driver magic unlock) - on the missing FP16 and the same memory management capabilities of Kepler on a 2016 GPU. CR-2 capabilities looks like to be the real revolution on this architecture for now..

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I guess the 1070 will be near 980 Ti performance, might as well get a 980 Ti if their cheaper to get by then.

4. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Very good review thanks.

Very interesting Benchmark numbers there,

Whats interesting is that comparing to the titan X(I am guessing stock boost clock speeds) and to this beast, well over 1600mhz, I would love to see clock per clock benchmark, I have a feeling, titan X would win but I understand its a totally different architecture from the ground up so can't compare them at all, despite more cores on the titan X.

Where it stands now, judging by that 3dmark firestrike ultra bench score, I tested this in my dad's system, the old rig I just gave to him and 2 of my gtx 970's(Using the gtx 690 for the time being), @ 1555mhz on both cores, and 7400mhz on memory(Both cards), my firestrike ultra score was like 5880, this bench here that hilbert did was slightly higher then 5k, So I am guessing my sli is holding up very good but one drawback, Vram, I need more as I go insane with the settings and resolution.

I'll wait for the gtx 1070 benchmark and also a gigabyte windforce version first and foremost before I do anything, I am defin't waiting for a windforce version.

Thanks for the review Mr. Hilbert, Been on guru3d for a extremely long time, Followed alot of stuff over the years, this card is very impressive to say at least, like others have said, Can't wait for the big pascal equipped with hbm2 memory, That's the one to really look out for.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Why?

6. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    yeah the video says
    graphics score in 3dmark ultra says ~800 more points on the 980SLI
    also like all tested games except for witcher 3 seem to run faster on the 980 SLI setup.
    i think you're good with your setup for a little longer.
    at least if you dont plan on replacing it with 1080 SLI :nerd:

7. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Solid review :thumbup:
    Just I like to see more 980 SLI vs 1080 comparsions :)

I notice my MSI 980 SLI (medium OC'ed) have abit better performance then.
    My CPU is 5 years, and SLI 1.5 year old ~10.900 in Firestrike Extreeme.
    info from first hand..

GTX 1080 have 82*C that mean any overclocking will throtle this card.
    I expected bit lower temps from 180W TDP, but it is like from 250W TDP card. Not to best for potential SLI users.

8. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Anyone saw benchmark with Quantum Break? Interesting how it runs on 1080.

9. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    $699 is 617 euros at current exchange rates, + 21% VAT that's 746 euros, isn't there also an import tax ?

I did see one somewhere... I think it was computerbase.de or pcgameshardware.de

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    What is interesting no one is benchmarking Quantum Break. I heard it still crashes the drivers on nvidia hardware and very low framerate being unplayable with Maxwell.

Im also looking for Pascal benchmark and if problem is fixed and how it performs.

11. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    import tax is mostly around 20% (many countries just charge the same value as for VAT, so 2x VAT in the end)

but it also depends on the type of the item, i dont know what it is for consumer micro electronics

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    And you all have to remember one thing, As its a brand new kind of gpu, Its going to take like 6+ months for drivers to shine even further, so therefore, The performance we just seen on theses benchmarks will only get better over time, since its a brand new architecture from the ground up, it's going to take awhile, maybe until the big pascal with hbm2 memory, hopefully by then, drivers will be somewhat matured.

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    What's with all the "underwhelming" remarks? That card smashes the competition. And the price? It's the top dog so it costs top dog prices. (other than the silly "founders" pricing)

There's whining about why bother replacing 980Ti's with this? OK.... I imagine 980 owners said the same about your Ti's. These are for people with cards below that or for people who demand the top performance regardless of value. When you buy a high end card(s), chances are it will last you a couple generations as that's how long it typically takes to get double the performance.

If you have a 290X/780/970 or anything less, this is good upgrade. I'm excited about the 4K results. Still not quite there (60FPS on AAA) but really close.

I'm buying one as soon as the rest get released. :banana:

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    1080 @4K .EQ. 980 Ti @1440p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Still a Quantum Broke. 37fps/1440p on a 800€ card. :D

16. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I learned my lesson going from 580 > 680 > 780 > 980 Ti.
    All though I'm tempted to buy when 1080 OC boards comes out, I will wait for the Ti / Titan version.

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    He's placing his hopes on AMD Vega and hoping AMD won't charge similar prices for it vs Nvidia. All I'm saying is if AMD's answer is more powerful than Nvidia's card, then, AMD will be the ones charging the premium prices.

Also, no-one is forcing him to buy anything, especially as he has a GTX980Ti already which isn't in Sli.

Why not applaud the fact that Nvidia releasing a new generation of cards will bring prices down across the board and give people less fortunate a chance to have better performance due to cheaper Maxwell hardware?

No, I see time and again, a quick yes GTX1080 is fastest card, but.....etc etc etc. If you can't keep-up...don't try to.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Defin't going after the 1080 windforce version, Bios mod that MOFO(When tools becomes available and then crank that sucker up).

Defin't going for 2 but looking into 3, I want to see sli/tri sli bench first though. Gigabyte 1080???, here we go.

Mainly I am looking at the Vram and then performance, as I go brutally insane with the IQ settings and resolution, So I defin't need a card MUCH higher then 4gb, This card will do just that, thank you very much...

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Seriously, it's not even a question of competition. There's no game worth the real upgrade right now.

Don't talk of Quantum Broken lol

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    QB is just a s*** ass port, nothing will fix it. Imho, up there with Hitman and AoTS to avoid.