Review: MSI Vigor GK71 Sonic keyboard (very neat at a very acceptable price)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    No menu key. Only buying keyboards with both Windows keys, Menu key and long left Shift.

3. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I hope this is a paid sponsorship, because the pricing is not reasonable, there are way cheaper alternatives which use Cherry, instead of trash switches, also it looks terrible.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, we never ever charge for reviews, unlike some other media outlets.

So, just because it isn't Cherry it's a trash switch?

386SX and insp1re2600 like this.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    okay,so link one that's also full size,with an aluminium frame,soft foam wrist rest and clear keys that is also "way cheaper".

we're waiting.

you don't know what you're talking about.a foam wrist rest and clear keys cost 50eur alone.

waiting for that "way cheaper" one,I'm interested.

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    There is also the K71 version, without the number pad.

7. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    Cherry is let's say stable/static (and still good), but the other switches manufacturers are advancing/making a progress. The world is changing even in such department as keyboard swtiches. I was skeptical before making this review, but I was really surprised.
    So what are the cheaper alternatives with similar features?

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    MSI make some of the best tech money can buy. I have their keyboards on my shopping list.

9. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I lost interest in these keyboards several years ago. I was super excited to get the Corsair Strafe RGB with MX Silent keys... The novalty wore off in under 24 hours and I learned that mech keyboards are not for me. I boxed the Strafe back up and it's sat on a shelf ever since... a real waste of what was then a £150 keyboard.

10. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    HyperX Alloy for one example is cheaper by default and constantly 20 euros down in amazon. And it's with Cherry switches, yes if I am spending more than 100 euros on a keyboard, you can be sure I am not buying anything but cherry, believe most people do so as well. Also most people dont care about the clear keys, else they would be seen more often.
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08J452Q24 another example

11. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  12. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    386SX likes this.
  13. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    soft foam rest,this costs at least 15-20eur.It's not given away for free you know :rolleyes:
    and clear keys,I don't know how to explain something that you can just see in the picture.Did you actually see any page of this review ? Start with page 1.

I'm sick of people attacking reviews while they clearly missed a great chunk of essential information.

I got my hyperx fps at a discount,full size with metal frame,a soft wrist reast at a discount,and a set of keys at a discount,and that still cost more than this sells for,without the need to order anything separately.Get it through your skull that extra features cost extra money.
    No effin wonder you can buy something cheaper if it's missing them.

I don't particularly like this keyboard but the pricing makes perfect sense.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    386SX likes this.
  15. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    So "clear keys" means those keycaps are all raised so they seem to "hover" over the keyboard base? This kind of effect?

Well then I had a mecha before with these specs, but I cannot recall its name, as I owned it for 3 days before replacing it, and that was some years ago. But it was full size and a soft palm rest was included, together with the "clear keys" you mentioned / as shown on page 1 and RGB mx browns and some function keys as well.
    I didnt like it because the palm rest was loose and not mounted to the keyboard, resulting in mis-alignment of my hands or simply slipping away. And every keystroke was clearly audible.
    If I recall its name I tell you, was about 89.99 euros or sth. like that. 100% sure that it was sub 100 euros as I only buy in this price range.
    I currently own a Cherry MX Board 1.0 with browns which I can recommend (59.99 euros!), but not to you, as it doesn't feature what you search for. White LEDs, no clear keys and a plastic palm rest (detachable).

Have a nice evening and let us get back to topic. ;)

cucaulay malkin likes this.

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it means they're clear.transparent.look at the picture for heaven's sake :D

Venix likes this.
  17. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Also I forgot to mention, anyone here who is using a mechanical keyboard and has spend money on it, above 100, tell me if you are NOT using cherrymx, thanks.

18. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    kailh speed silver
    aswesome stuff for gaming

19. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    No volume roller, no clear keys, no wrist pad. Ye, it's "the same". Also on some discounts, whereas it's a debut of the MSI keyboard, so the price is regular. And again I underline - Cherry MX is still good, but the other ones are catching up and even surpassing already. But for that - you'd need to check some out and not base on some old opinions etc.

20. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Haven't ordered it yet but I am intending to get the Roccat Vulcan Pro which costs near twice as much as this one and doesn't have cherry switches.. soooo.. me?