Review: MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we review the MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X, we test the model fitted with 8GB graphics memory (there is a 4GB model as well). This TwinFrozr VI cooled mainstream graphics card series will all...

Review: MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Still a little disappointed in the performance of the RX 480 overclocked. At least this one has the thermals under control.

3. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    MSI really seems to have done well with the sound levels (same with 1070), sadly I don't see these cards anywhere in Finland.

4. Devilhunter12

Devilhunter12 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Lightning
    Very sad that it has less OC, and less efficient.

That is why never over hype product.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AMD didn't over hype this product as much as the Fiji at least. The AMD users however were predicting 1070 performance or more with 1600Mhz OC on air.

It's getting to the point the overly faithful AMD base are hurting the brand.

6. Turanis

Turanis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Nice review,thanks. :)
    And yeah you need to test in Vulkan without AA or TSSAA 8x for Async Compute.Or you can do without AA in every DX 12 games,for testing purpose only.

A really good implementation of RX 480 from MSI.
    The drivers will be better and better with newer games,and the performance will be much higher.

Prediction for 1600 MHz on air?Who says that,some users or click-bite sites?
    Official I dont see coming from Amd.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yep, the AMD zealots did surprisingly large amount of damage.

It's nice to see that MSI's cooler works just as well with RX 480 than on GTX 1060/1070/1080. Their cooler performs excellently.

8. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Let's not look into past. Yes, AMD messed up 480 promotion big time.

Still its not a bad card, and MSI X series deliver 480 with temperature and noises at bay.

9. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Thank you HH. :)

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Read my post again. I said, "The AMD users however were predicting 1070 performance or more with 1600Mhz OC on air."

I'm not going to name names as I'm not trying to start a flame war. Just pointing out that some AMD users are doing more to hurt AMD than help.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Great review with the following observation:

AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB and 8GB (high-end performance)
    AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB and 8GB (mainstream performance)
    AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB/4GB (entry level)

This should be edited to this:

AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB and 8GB (mainstream performance)
    AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB and 8GB (value performance)
    AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB/4GB (entry level)

AMD has yet to release its high-end performance card for this gen.

12. DeadlyBGShadow

DeadlyBGShadow Member

GPU:
    EAH 4870 1G
    The Damage is done by people comparing Mainstream Hardware vs High-End One and expecting parity.
    Such flawed thinking is trending all over the place and is shaping the general perception of the product.
    These people and the rest trusting them don't need New CPUs and New GPUs they need new Brains!

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse

I'd agree although if one only counts Polaris then Polaris 10 would be the "high-end" model with the 480 and then the mid-end 470 with Polaris 11 as the lower-end 460 (And below?) model.

However as AMD has put it I believe Polaris was to be some mainstream GPU series (And also aggressively priced.) and then Vega the enthusiast model surpassing the current Fury X, I keep forgetting what it's architecture was called, Fiji?

Not really sure if Vega 10 or Vega 11 will be first, Vega 11 is the bigger one whereas for Polaris that numbering is reversed for some reason, although Vega 10 could end up being the regular GPU with 11 possibly ending up as some multi-GPU model which I think there were rumors on but eh there's no details besides some few possible specifications of Vega 10 currently available as the GPU's aren't expected until early 2017 at least, unless AMD somehow rushes them for release in Autumn depending on I guess GPU chip quality from that manufacturing process and also availability of HBM2 VRAM which I believe both of these GPU's use, although I'm not 100% certain on that either.
    (With VRAM amount possibly ending up around 16 GB for the full HBM2 config? 4x 4 GB stacks with 4x 1 GB per stack?)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No 480 is high-end, 490 = enthusiast class.

15. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    As it should be. It's not like these cards are cheap, Geforce Cards are just hideously expensive.

16. DeadlyBGShadow

DeadlyBGShadow Member

GPU:
    EAH 4870 1G
    Radeon RX 480 IS A Mainstream-Line card performing almost like last generation High End GPUs.

This Generation High-End Cards from AMD are still pending. The Enthusiast class Title is Reserved for Titan like cards or are you going to call them something else.

This Flawed perception I talked about is evident. Next you will say 1060 is High-End Card 1070-1080 Enthusiast and The Titan that is coming is something Entirely different.

If you are regarding them from Value perspective that still don't change there placement as mainstream product.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Much fuss over nothing.
    This is where you should direct your complaints -> www.amd.com
    New Titan X releases tomorrow. Meanwhile AMD has... RX 480 :3eyes:

Does anyone really gives a F if his card is referenced as Mainstream or High-end? Ridiculous...

18. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    another day a new card and a good review :) thank you HH.
    why is it when ever an AMD card is reviews some people need to jump to there battle stations ready to jump the gun :3eyes:
    this is a good value for the money card, it performs good in it's price segment compared to competition :nerd:

19. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    high-end
    adjective
    adjective: high-end

denoting the most expensive of a range of products

I´m sorry but I can´t think of these $30 buck chips mounted on cheapo pcb´s with half phone memory as high end. There are already similar cards without heat pipes at all.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Who cares if another Titan is releases tommorow. Its an overpriced cash grab. You can buy 5-6 of these 480's for one Titan X.