Review: MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G OC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G OC edition. The card's equipped with that renamed Hawaii GPU, now called Grenada. Thanks to a huge triple slot air cooler based on the TwinFrozr V design th...

Review: MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G OC

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Was waiting for this one today also.Thanks

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    So it looks like some modest bumps in performance over the 290X. What I was interested in is the power consumption. It's better than the 290X but at 256 watts, it's still nowhere near the 970/980's power sipping, the obvious nvidia competition at this price point. That's unfortunate.

Nice review, as always. (still reading it/them) :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  4. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    What a waste of line up from AMD.So MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming is barely beating GTX 980 Reference.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Look at the price. The 390X is $399, while the 980 is still about $500?

6. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Thats not as bad as I expected ,its very close to 980. If somebody really wants to go for 4k two of these will suffice just fine ,the problem it would be a bad idea to go for sli 980 because you know 4gb vram. And its $70 cheaper than 980.

7. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    Benchmark are compared with Reference GTX 980.

8. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    GTX 980 has better cooling, less power consumption much better efficiency and of course much better overclocking.

9. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    It also has 4gb of vram in other words not good enough for 4k.

10. B0GiE-uk-

B0GiE-uk- Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6Gb
    You are bang on with the driver support issues. AMD seriously needs to sort their **** out. Unless they come out with some sort of statement about how they are going to do day 0 driver releases for AAA games then I will not be buying an AMD GPU.

I currently run 2 x HD 7970's in Crossfire and have had enough of shoddy Crossfire driver support.

I will wait a while and then decide what to buy for my next GPU but the MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming version is looking highly likely as my next purchase at the moment.

SORT YOUR DRIVERS OUT AMD.....

11. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    i feel AMD concentrated on the wrong segment with this new generation and shot itself in the foot. enthusiast cards like the fury won't get them out of the financial hole they're in, nor are they going to do any wonders for the market share. very unimpressive showing from the 3xx series. 390x is already based on a solid card but it all feels very underwhelming, especially for 370/380.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hmmm... MSI Gaming 980 costs about £30 more atm. I feel like AMD messed up here a little bit.

MSI did a great job with the card though, that heatsink looks massive, those VRM temps are amazing and the backplate is a nice bonus, well done MSI. Still, I feel like the 980 is the better choice out of the 2. That being said, the 980 is probably the worst value for money in nvidia's high end (bar TX, of course, but that's a niche product). Still, I feel like they're squeezing the absolute bejesus out of old tech with nowhere to go with it in the future. 390x kinda feels like a 290x with overclock to me. There's hardly anything new to be seen here. Nobody with a 290/970 will buy this, because you can simply overclock your cards and get the same result (minus the extra vram, of course).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,24.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,25.html

talk about setting yourself up.

13. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    Do you want to me bring Gamework factor where AMD card do not work.

14. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Good review.

Not a big fan of 3 slot cards, but I do really like the fact of the excellent continued support for Hawaii this guaranteed. Same as the excellent extended support AMD provides for Tahiti owners over the years. For this reason I really like the tweaked rebranding strategy AMD is using, instead of redoing a complete new lineup just to sell similar speed grades anyways.

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd be more inclined to look for bargain 290's than buy one of those tbh, as suggested by HH. The cards perform well for their price segment, but for 90% of people they're literally competing against themselves. Reminds me of when the 285 was released when everyone was buying 7900 series cards.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I'd rather pick up a ASUS DCUII 290x for £200 than this for £350. The 290x would also get very close if not on par with the 390x.

AMD will have to revise their pricing big time, no way is this a £350 card.

17. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Depends from the game .Shadow of Mordor is one example of high vram requirements at http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,16.html

In future titles we could begin to see 8gb vram as mandatory for 4k.

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    better cooling?? this card has awesome cooling

19. The_Gump

The_Gump New Member

GPU:
    ATi 4890 @ 900/1025 O/C
    Two points:

1) Was this card tested with the proper 300 series drivers, or, as the same with OC3D TV's review of the same card, it was with the older, non-optimized drivers that came on the driver CD? (The review was just posted on OC3D's YouTube channel)

2) You bag AMD about drivers using Witcher 3 as an example, really?...
    Did you not know that due to it being a Nvidia Gameworks title, AMD had zero access to the game code until the game was released? In other words, AMD could not do any driver optimization until the game hit the shelves. Why is this so? Because all game dev's that partner with Nvidia Gameworks sign a contract that prohibits them from sharing any code with AMD. In fact, every man and his dog knows the story about Witcher 3 and how Nvidia tried to sabotage its performance on AMD cards... yet you used it as an example?

I thought this site provided un-bias GPU reviews? Instead it seems you are trying to continue with the "AMD have **** drivers" BS that all Nvidiot bias sites are famous for.... goodbye Guru3D...

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Shadows of Mordor tends to be overestimated a lot, people confuse the allocation as required use. That's not to say games wont use more VRAM at higher resolutions, but people playing at 4k + resolutions are generally running the best hardware they can get their hands on.

With that in mind, people intending to game at 4K will probably be looking at the Fury products or the 980Ti/Titan X from Nvidia.