Review: MSI MEG X570 Unify

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review, we look at the MSI MEG X570 Unify. Priced at $280 MSI delivers an all dark X570 motherboard that has been loaded with features like 2.5 Gbit LAN and AX WIFI, and looks that make this b...

Review: MSI MEG X570 Unify

Evildead666, Maddness and tunejunky like this.
  2. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Have this board have 2 actually liked mine so much I replaced my Wifes Gigabyte, awesome board and your right about the chipset fan only ever seen it run once and that was with a closed case and a 3090 throwing heat at it on a vertical mount, I do have RGB but at least its only on the things I want.

One point though on the MSI boards 1 8 pin does the CPU the other does the PCI slots etc so its best to have both plugged in
    The one thing I dislike is the USB C connection on the bottom of the board case front panel leads are not long enough to get to it unless you run across the case rather than route the cable properly makes it messy

Evildead666 and tunejunky like this.
  3. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Where you get that info about 8pin powering PCI-e?
    If it's from Actually Hardcore Overclocking then he already debunked it with a note for himself not to ever measure resistance with PSU connected (8PIN got connected with PCI-e power pins through PSU itself, not traces onboard.)

I personally don't like this board, it ugly, PCH cooler looks like cheaply made plastic, only 4 sata, and stupid PCI-e lanes configuration, prefer 8x/8x/4x(gen3 from PCH)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  4. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    checked the manual and once again MSI would be my only choice they seem to be the only brand where the design engineer actually understand that bandwith sharing and the placement of M.2 and pcie slot matters

M.1 top slot the worst one above the superheated gpu backplate, the one you should never use : CPU bandwith and you don't want to use cpu bandwith for an M.2 anyway
    M.2 mid slot a meh choice as it will get heat from an aircooled gpu too : PCH bandwith
    M.3 bottom slot the coolest one especially if you have a modern/smarter case design (bottom fans and a separate compartment for the psu giving you a real bottom->top airflow) : PCH bandwith
    PCIE 4.0 x1 slot above the bottom full pcie slot that you can never use because it's too low on the motherboard, it's the perfect place for a soundcard or other low bandwith cards

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    doesnt sound right to me, that 1 8 pin powers the pcie slots, dont think iv experienced that before...

you can get usbc extension cable for the front panel too.

6. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Yes you can but not to replace the oe slot looked as hard as I could and I could not see a straight forward male to female extension only type C to socket to add to a case, mines all moulded into place and cannot be replaced

As for the 8 pin it was indeed the video from the buildzoid guy so perhaps its an error, damn shame as I sweated ages getting the cables in on my case as the fans and rads dont leave much room up top!

7. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Well the looks are subjective the heat sinks are awesome and work very well, 4 Data and 3 SSD on board are enough surely, never had a slowdown or issue with the SSDs, but each too their own

8. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    and again: nice fan :( high-end? pfft
    Next chipset please!

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I use m1 slot on my z490 unify with its stock plate on a 970 evo plus and I didnt see it above 54c, I think. Looked good compared to other benchmark reviews ok temps, gpu temp or cpu temp wasnt affected more either.

Gpu still runs at full pcie 3.0 16x

10. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Comeback MBs with fans is big no go..

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Ironic the 2 clowns crying about a chipset fan are intel users with 6-10 year old hardware. Oh the IRONY.

fry178 and Evildead666 like this.
  12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i've this board for three weeks. empty
    waiting for the single tear from a sad eyed clown - oh wait, no just money

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @xrodney
    there are boards with 4+8 that require power on both plugs or they wont boot.
    even just plugging in 4+4 works, just the single 8 is not enough.

you do know this is pcie gen 4, and slots will match 3.0 @16x/16x/8x in bandwidth, so lol...
    (outside the fact most nicer boards let you change different x-modes for pci slots).

would you be happier with a crappy pch/fan (quality), that just looks like it was made from gold/platin, or rather a quality unit thats (just) looking cheap? right.

@all
    what cools your cpu and gpu (rad/heatsink)?
    what cools your case?
    what cools your psu, and for others even ram/drives and other things...
    but yeah, if its the chipset, thats too much, lol.
    and "reliability" for any boards that came out in the past 2y is not a valid argument,
    as there aren't any numbers (rma/forums etc) that would support a high failure rate.

and even if it dies, i will buy another universal (i think it was gpu) heatsink with fan, and replace it,
    like i did on the single fail i had on +40 boards in 20y...

edit for wording.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    tunejunky, Evildead666 and suty455 like this.
  14. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    why the fan???

15. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    Until you don't start using Zen 3 you are just fine with this board.
    I recon one day MSI will put themselves together and make a good bios for Zen 3 thats works as it is supposed to.

I don't understand why people are moaning about the chipset fan honestly.
    If you are to build a full silent PC just go for cheap B550 and problem solved and let X570 alone.
    Or if you have a deep pocket still you can go for Asus X570 Dark Hero but that costs you one leg and arm.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn could there be a typo on page 26? I see two X570 Unify temps, 50C and 67C.

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @tunejunky
    where u located?
    115$ for 16gb DDR4 b-die
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWJ42VQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Freeman
    lol, you heard that some pc parts need (active) cooling?
    or is your rig completely passive, incl cpu/gpu and psu?
    right...

@Devid
    google Gb Master/Elite/Ultra cold-boot/sudden reboot (bios) issues...
    using 4 different 3600 kits (Corsair/Gskill/Patriot) on my Gb Aorus x570 Ultra (300$ crap) and it wouldnt even post, even with ram 3600/1.38v.
    required a flashback to get it working again, and non of the kits where stable (xmp manually set), even with added voltage (Gb is providing 1.372 when 1.35 is set in bios, utter joke).

Three different (150$) MSI x570 boards are running those kits just fine at XMP spec.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Great review, just ordered one from Scan, was very torn between this and the b550 unify to replace my Asus Prime x570pro that only has 2x m.2 and 4 too many sata ports than i need.

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi guys, my MSI MEG X570 Unify arrived this morning from Scan, first thing i noticed was how heavy this thing is....... 2.3kg for total parcel weight, unfortunately the weekend is to short so i`ll be fitting this bad boy on my next day off....Monday, bummer that my week off got canceled due to a work colleague going in to isolation....too convenient for my liking but i digress, will update with thoughts and pic`s in a few days.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    At least MSI have the decency to not troll their customers by making sure the fan is 100% blocked like Asus does on literally every single X570 board they offer. I switched an Asus X570 while using an AIO'd 1080 Ti so it wasn't blocked too badly since it had no traditional heatsink on it, so I would idle at 56-60C and that was around the temp range for load as well with the highest I've ever seen being 62C.

Now that I have an RTX 3080, so a traditional air cooled card, of course the hot air blows directly into the chipset just as it would on any other Asus X570 model. I saw it hit near 100C once when I accidentally left the GPU fan at 40 or 50%.

To compensate I installed 3x120mm Noctua high static pressure intake fans at the top and set them to jet mode to blast enough cool air with enough pressure to force itself into the small crevice necessary. I still sometimes hit near 80C under load because I can't do anything about hot air from the GPU being shat into it, short of switching to custom water cooling assuming a block for my 3080 even exists.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021